• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 31 Man Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The notion that a Test is tight and hotly contested at the start and loose and open at the end is a myth, it's actually the other way around.

Go watch the England Test year. The adventure and linebreaks are at the start of the game, the most metres are made then. The breakdown isn't contested that heavily and teams are not conservative because of the scoreline. Near the end of Tests games become grinds with tight play as teams shut down defending leads. The intensity increases and the breakdown is more contested.

This is why I'd start Hooper and Gill off the bench but I wouldn't be taking Hooper off either.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
The notion that a Test is tight and hotly contested at the start and loose and open at the end is a myth, it's actually the other way around.

Maybe we should have QC (Quade Cooper) as the starting flyhalf then ;)

Just kidding, don't want to start a forum brawl. But I would tend to think that teams tire out as a game goes on so more line breaks are made etc. etc.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Teams do tire but it's often missed that it goes both ways. Your attack suffers as well. Defence is about attitude, you're going to get up off the line no matter how tired you are. If your team has the ball you slack off a bit once fatigued. I do not have stats but I'm almost certain breakdown pilfers and penalties from pilfers are higher in the 2nd halve.

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
Can I start up the Pocock argument again?

I think Pocock's running/attack game has been pretty underrated in this ridiculous discussion. He nearly always makes metres in close due to his strength and has pretty good hands for such an overgrown hulk.

Watch the lead-up to JOC (James O'Connor)'s matchwinning try in Honkers. It is Pocock who palms off Kaino to set up the quick ball for the final phase.
Pretty is an understatement, its sad to see that some people here claim he doesnt have a running game. He does, it just isnt the same as Hoopers, he is more effective running in close.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Can we all get over this pointless MacCabe argument and talk about something that matters eg. that thing called the Lions tour? Who would everyone like to see in the forwards 1-8?

Robinson
Moore
Palmer
Horwill
Douglas
Mowen
Gill
Palu

Fainga'a
Slipper
Alexander

Simmons
McMeniman
Hooper

Starting Gill, because of his better ground work and tackling. Hooper's running game for the 2nd half when the big Lions forwards and backs are tiring, he will really cut them open then.

Palu to make a lot of tackles early on and stop them getting momentum at the rucks (its one thing he DOES do well). McMeniman to come on after 50 odd minutes and go on a rampage.

Slipper and Alexander give good impact, off the bench, as they can both cover both sides of the scrum, and are very good around the park. I want fatcat and Palmer to start so that the Lions don't get even a whiff of scrum dominance and feed off it.

Mowen obviously the lineout general, but for his counter rucking as well, no one does it better in Aus atm than Mowen.

With Higgers and Timani out, there is simply no excuse for this exact lineup to not be rolled out.

George Smith for the 3rd test if he's fit.

Backline is obvious. Beiber is clearly going to be the 10 against all logic and reason, so with that in mind:

Genia
Beiber
Folau
Lealiifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Ioane
Beale

Scotty

David Codey (61)

Go watch the England Test year. The adventure and linebreaks are at the start of the game, the most metres are made then. The breakdown isn't contested that heavily and teams are not conservative because of the scoreline. Near the end of Tests games become grinds with tight play as teams shut down defending leads. The intensity increases and the breakdown is more contested.

This is why I'd start Hooper and Gill off the bench but I wouldn't be taking Hooper off either.

I like the idea of having both on at the same time - move Hooper to 6, Mowen to 8 and take off Palu. Might also bring Simmons off the bench for Douglas at the same time to strengthen the line out.

It is a risk to have a lighter back row but I think one worth taking.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I think he is a more traditional 7 with better pilfering ability that will come in handy against the Lions. I also think that Deans will be playing a slower more structured game plan that suits a player like Liam.

Hooper is brilliant, don't get me wrong, but his running game would be used best when the Brits are tired. On top of this, I still think that the running game of a 7 in broken play, although extremely beneficial, is not the primary role of an openside. We have the back to do that so I would prefer to have an effective pilferer on the field. I have no doubts the Gill would rise to the occasion as well. He is an extremely composed player and person and I would put serious money on him being a future Wallaby captain.

Like has been previously mentioned, we need both of them - this is not a question of whether one is better than the other for me. I just think Gill would be the better option to tire them out and then Hoops can come on at tear them to shreads.

I basically share your sentiment. Although I agree with most people that Hooper will probably chosen to start due to his great form for the Wallabies last year. Hopefully we get to see Gill start in either the second or third test.

Cosmo Jones

Allen Oxlade (6)
aI
Robinson
Moore
Palmer
Horwill
Douglas
Mowen
Gill
Palu

Fainga'a
Slipper
Alexander

Simmons
McMeniman
Hooper

Starting Gill, because of his better ground work and tackling. Hooper's running game for the 2nd half when the big Lions forwards and backs are tiring, he will really cut them open then.

Palu to make a lot of tackles early on and stop them getting momentum at the rucks (its one thing he DOES do well). McMeniman to come on after 50 odd minutes and go on a rampage.

Slipper and Alexander give good impact, off the bench, as they can both cover both sides of the scrum, and are very good around the park. I want fatcat and Palmer to start so that the Lions don't get even a whiff of scrum dominance and feed off it.

Mowen obviously the lineout general, but for his counter rucking as well, no one does it better in Aus atm than Mowen.

With Higgers and Timani out, there is simply no excuse for this exact lineup to not be rolled out.

George Smith for the 3rd test if he's fit.

Backline is obvious. Beiber is clearly going to be the 10 against all logic and reason, so with that in mind:

Genia
Beiber
Folau
Lealiifano
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Ioane
Beale
I like it but isn't Ioane injured? Also i would start with Hooper, as qwerty said there is actually more running rugby played early in the first half, suits Hoopers playstyle more and maybe in the 2nd half when it becomes more of a grind (its not just the lions that get tired, us aussies do as well...) maybe Gill could come on to dominate some rucks and hopefully get some turnovers.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
aI
I like it but isn't Ioane injured? Also i would start with Hooper, as qwerty said there is actually more running rugby played early in the first half, suits Hoopers playstyle more and maybe in the 2nd half when it becomes more of a grind (its not just the lions that get tired, us aussies do as well.) maybe Gill could come on to dominate some rucks and hopefully get some turnovers.

I like it too but i can not see Palmer starting if he was not in the initial 25 pick so swap him for Slipper.

Gill/Hooper - I do not have a preference either way as I think they are both bloody good, however given that turnovers is one of the areas that we will have an advantage in and that this is crucial early to set the tone for the match and possibly the series I would probably agree with you to start with Gill. The Lions do not have a genuine 7 who is a pilferer so Gilly on at the beginning might give us some confidence.

When Palu tires we drop Mowen to 8 and MMM comes on at 6.

In the backs swap Ioane for Cummins and your almost there. Beale at fullback I like as well but i have a feeling Deans will start Barnes there, then when he gets injured in the second minute bring Beale on.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I agree, Fainga'a is horrific. Hanson has been starting over him in the Reds and he is picked for wallabies.. go figure.

I think almost any coach in the world would choose Fainga'a in this situation as the backup. He's played 18 tests to Hanson's 1 and is far more experienced in high pressure matches.

Their Super Rugby form has been fairly close. It's not like Hanson has started all year and completely outshone Fainga'a. They are much of a muchness is that regard.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Ha, how many games did Pocock actually play this year? two?..three? It's a bit rich to say he hadn't developed his attacking play, when he really never got the opportunity. He mentioned at the start of the season he was working on that area and I did notice in those first 2 or 3 games that he was actively trying to run with ball a bit more often, although his season ended too soon to make any ground in that department.

Having been at all the home games where Poey played this year, it was very noticeable how much involvement he had in the linking role between forwards and backs. And he was very effective in doing it. All in all, he was playing a 'more rounded' game, and imo showed he is still the best No7 in Australia. In his absence, I would prefer Hooper to Gill atm. Hooper is a phenomenal player, and Gill is exceptional, but that's how I would rate them.

G

Gregan

I think almost any coach in the world would choose Fainga'a in this situation as the backup. He's played 18 tests to Hanson's 1 and is far more experienced in high pressure matches.

Their Super Rugby form has been fairly close. It's not like Hanson has started all year and completely outshone Fainga'a. They are much of a muchness is that regard.

My apologies, I didn't mean to imply that Hanson should be there instead. But i was more questioning why Fainga'a, who in my opinion is lazy and uncompetetive, is in the wallabies time and time again.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah I was amazed by those stats.

Clearly we have all given Phipps a bit of a bad rap.

I think we generally give players in losing sides a lower score and over rate some players in winning sides.

Our very own teams of the week are a prime example (the SMH one is even worse, unless your side won, you are deemed crap)

Status
Not open for further replies.