• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I love the way you put that photo on it which shows

1. JOC (James O'Connor) Offside
2. Rocky not bound at the shoulder.

Offset that against

1. McCaw detached
2. Woodys hand on the ground

And it all evens out perfectly. Thus try is valid, in the history books, on the scorecard, and all is done & dusted.

You are right on one count. It is all done and dusted and the result will not change.

But given that at every contest there are multiple infringements, the job of a referee is to decide what impact particular infringements have on the game. You can't just add them up or cancel them out. Some referees do that better than others, Lawrence is about mid table.

One thing I do find interesting is that the Blackness chose to go to such an obvious illegal move. Usually they are much more subtle. I think that's a measure of just how desperate they were. For the first time this year they were staring down the barrel of a defeat where they had been clearly outplayed up till that time. I reckon Richie was for the first time really, really desperate; hence the blatant illegality. Another point to go in the Wallaby memory banks. We got very very close and no one knows it better than Mr Invisibility.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I've think you've been reading too much Dwyer Hawko.

How do you know it was pre planned to be illegal? Do you have inside knowledge?

That move could be attempted & executed perfectly legally (& given JOC (James O'Connor) defensive line, it would have). It's just poor/bad timing - something that happens a hell of a lot in a match.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It would be incredibly difficult to pull it off in a legal manner.
7 would have to unbind at the same time as 8. Then 8 would have to wait, while 7 moves into position .
That's just a receipe for seeing 8 get hammered. If the opposition 6 is not hanging around waiting for oranges, he's going catch the 8.
The only way I can see to pull it off against anyone at an international level is to have your 7 go early and hope he doesn't get blown.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
It would be incredibly difficult to pull it off in a legal manner.
7 would have to unbind at the same time as 8. Then 8 would have to wait, while 7 moves into position .
That's just a receipe for seeing 8 get hammered. If the opposition 6 is not hanging around waiting for oranges, he's going catch the 8.
The only way I can see to pull it off against anyone at an international level is to have your 7 go early and hope he doesn't get blown.

I disagree. We saw with Kaino vs Brown in Chch that backrowers can hold off defenders with one hand on occasions, and while McCaw moved forward after detaching from the scrum, theres nothing to say that the move may have him sliding sideways immeadiately.

It's not like the move could only be pulled off if they cheat. McCalman didn't get smashed or cheat when he set up JOC (James O'Connor)'s try running off the back of the scrum.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Apples and oranges. McCalman ran off the back of the scrum rather than passing to his flanker.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
True, but he didn't have to wait around for JOC (James O'Connor) to sort himself out. If he were passing to Elsom (from memory), I think his options would have been to stand still or run with Elsom, neither of which is effective or what the AB did.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)

That move could be attempted & executed perfectly legally (& given JOC (James O'Connor) defensive line, it would have). It's just poor/bad timing - something that happens a hell of a lot in a match.

I gotchya. Perfectly understandable. And just one of those amazing coincidences that exactly the same move, complete with illegalities, is pulled off within the space of 30 seconds. Riiiiiight........

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

And the blindside winger was around on the open side to indicate that a blind side move was not planned but that the Blackness would either go wide or down the 10/12 channel. And as pointed out the move doesn't work if 7 stays on till 8 picks up because he can't get wide fast enough.

My post started by agreeing that the result was in the record books. For me the key is just how close to winning the WB's were and how totally desperate the Blacks were at that point. IMO if (big if) JOC (James O'Connor) stays on his man and puts him into touch, then that would have tipped the result. AB's would have been disappointed to not score and WB's would have been pumped. There are many turning points in a close match but for me that was the most important one. Thereafter I was expecting the AB's to come through and hoping the WB's would stop them. Before that I was expecting a WB win.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Man you guys are really clinging to this idea that it's the world vs Aussie huh. Did anyone complain when it was the Saffa's cleaning up last year? Honest question!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Man you guys are really clinging to this idea that it's the world vs Aussie huh. Did anyone complain when it was the Saffa's cleaning up last year? Honest question!
Shame shite happen on TSF. Constnat moaning and groaning about the Bokke taking players illegal out in the air with the up and unders, dull high kick and charge rugby, Matfields plate, exct, exct.

You lot are honoured Skorsie, enjoy it.

As a neutral my first reaction when McAwe left the scrum that it should be a penalty straight away and as good as a ref Mark Lawrense is , he farked that one.

For the Aussie and Saffers constant moaning about all thing refs after losing, sad whiners and tossers. Take it on the chin and move on.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

We are clinging to an idea, but that isn't it.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

i didnt complain as much, mostly because they did so by playing well not cheating.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While everyone is being an expert on cheating related to His Highness Sir Richard, why is no one whinging about the most blatant cheating that occurs right in front of the referee and absolutely MUST be endorsed by Team Management, and I can guarantee it is practiced by teams all the time.

Yes I am talking about dirty little yapping runt halfbacks and their illegal scrum feeds. Subject of another thread, and brought on by Austin's video earlier this year.

Cheating or not, the AB's won and we won the Silver Medal. They got the luck of the bounce, or the undetected crime. Lets take the loss with dignity and move on, safe in the knowledge that we have improved to a point where we are like the Christchurch earthquake. Not enough to bring the whole town down in a screaming heap, but enough to scare the bejesus out of those in the know, and they are worried about the next one to come.

M

Mojoman

i didnt complain as much, mostly because they did so by playing well not cheating.
Jeez you lot are desperate to deflect another heartbreaking loss aren't you? How about how the Wallabies surrendered yet another winning lead? Poor defensive decision by Justin Bieber to allow McCaw to score? Inability to play 80 minute football? How many of the 10 games on the trot the AB's have won were from so-called cheating?

It's not all doom and gloom for the Wallabies. The team has shown enough to suggest come next year (perhaps even next Bled) that there is parity between the two teams, just depends who plays better on the day.

G

Gogguy

While everyone is being an expert on cheating related to His Highness Sir Richard, why is no one whinging about the most blatant cheating that occurs right in front of the referee and absolutely MUST be endorsed by Team Management, and I can guarantee it is practiced by teams all the time.

Yes I am talking about dirty little yapping runt halfbacks and their illegal scrum feeds. Subject of another thread, and brought on by Austin's video earlier this year.

Cheating or not, the AB's won and we won the Silver Medal. They got the luck of the bounce, or the undetected crime. Lets take the loss with dignity and move on, safe in the knowledge that we have improved to a point where we are like the Christchurch earthquake. Not enough to bring the whole town down in a screaming heap, but enough to scare the bejesus out of those in the know, and they are worried about the next one to come.

Yes the All Blacks are the best pro cheats in the world, and should of had at least 2 players sent to bin and one off (the no11) for the killing ball on line. But as Mr Hugh Jarse has said you boy's had the game but took your foot off the gas. it was a cracking game to watch, thanks

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Jeez you lot are desperate to deflect another heartbreaking loss aren't you? How about how the Wallabies surrendered yet another winning lead? Poor defensive decision by Justin Bieber to allow McCaw to score? Inability to play 80 minute football? How many of the 10 games on the trot the AB's have won were from so-called cheating?

It's not all doom and gloom for the Wallabies. The team has shown enough to suggest come next year (perhaps even next Bled) that there is parity between the two teams, just depends who plays better on the day.

Precisely. This young team is doing well. We all want them to win against the ABs, and some people demand it, but the ABs are not exactly weak.

Personally, I think we're doing fine and I'm looking forward to the next few years when these guys continue to improve.

I really can't understand this testosterone-fulled nonsense that goes on much of the time, that demands mass-sackings when we don't win, as though it is some innate failing in the players, or coach, or now the bloody ref, that we don't finish first all the time. By all means be disappointed, and demand excellence, but please don't chuck the toys out of the bus. It isn't a good look. Frankly, it's embarrassing.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
For those that want an extra angle on the McCaw try - here it is. Explicit langauge warning on the clip though...

[video=youtube;PNcw9cM3JPs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNcw9cM3JPs[/video]

Reactions: DPK
Status
Not open for further replies.