• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy, Florence, Sun 13th Nov 12am AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think Rennie has to go. The selections were arrogant and Australia was dusted accordingly. The replacements were ill timed which further lifted the Italians.
Fair play to them. They are a decent side but there is no way that a loss to them on this tour is acceptable.
Rennie goes with McKellar stepping up to the head coaching role.

Lolesio and Gordon not to play for the Wallabies again any time soon

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Fuck me what a bleak way to start my morning.

Not many good performances there at all. Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) was dynamite. Campbell looked like he was recovering from a stomach bug. Ikitau is class as usual. Tupou, Skelton yes please. Gibbon gets a pass. Beyond that, dreadful. I see why the Brumbies rotated hookers so much.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
The coaching team sacrificed that game so all were fit for Ireland. They better hope we beat Ireland.

Beating Italy was expected even with the mass changes, losing to them is unacceptable. Losing to Ireland is probably expected, but beating them would be nice.

I’m not sure a win against Ireland offsets the damage done to the Wallabies reputation by losing to Italy. Had Donaldson kicked that conversion we’d likely still be calling the game a failure for a number of reasons.

The coaching staff have backed themselves into a corner. Before the tour there was talk that 1 win would mean Rennie walks, that’s very much on the cards now.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Going to be a quiet trip from Florence to Dublin.

What have these reserve player been doing for the last few week? Eating, drinking, shopping, sight seeing. Obviously not playing.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Beating Italy was expected even with the mass changes, losing to them is unacceptable. Losing to Ireland is probably expected, but beating them would be nice.

I’m not sure a win against Ireland offsets the damage done to the Wallabies reputation by losing to Italy. Had Donaldson kicked that conversion we’d likely still be calling the game a failure for a number of reasons.

The coaching staff have backed themselves into a corner. Before the tour there was talk that 1 win would mean Rennie walks, that’s very much on the cards now.
No chance he walks before RWC. That would be a disaster. He's just gonna move on afters, I was hoping he'd stay till '27. But this is untenable.

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
You would think with so many positions in question for a World Cup next year, they would bleed green and gold. Didn’t see that.

Italy !! With Harlequin second string 10 Tommy Allen!!

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Rennie gets ahead of himself and arrogantly makes 11 changes to the 15 completely disrespecting the Italians and he got what he deserved. It’s time for Dave Rennie to be shown the door
Not so much out of arrogance, more to do with not grinding the first choice options into the ground.

As per Marce's post, the 5-game tour meant he had to rest players.

Rennie's not the best coach going but he's not the worst either. As a noted French general (not Raynal) might have put it, ... he's not been lucky. Tends to be over-conservative, as well. These two things feed into each other.

Should he be fired today? No.

That's not positive or negative spin. Rennie will see out the year and (probably) the next ... not least because RA is a bit skint.

Our cattle aren't a top-4 prospect at the moment. Need to develop more consistency and find some brain cells.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
two more losses on tour and i think he's out. aussie rugby not good enough for four year cycles to throw everything at world cups, like cheika did and has happened again - take the wins when you can get them. if i were them would i put a five year deal in front of razor? yes

rugboy

Bob Loudon (25)
So many issues, work at the breakdown, lineout throwing, Poor decision making, but I can’t get over the amount of silly penalties we give away. Rugby pass article summed it up ….. World rugby's most penalised tier-one outfit conceded another 16 penalties at Stadio Artemio Franchi to be on the back foot all afternoon.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
two more losses on tour and i think he's out. aussie rugby not good enough for four year cycles to throw everything at world cups, like cheika did and has happened again - take the wins when you can get them. if i were them would i put a five year deal in front of razor? yes

Not necessarily advocating for Razor, but if the right HC was around, I think there’s enough young talent in the team who will be around in 2027 to justify bringing in a coach to take them through two RWC’s, knowing the 2023 is a write off but getting that experience under the belt.

Turning this group into a top tier side isn’t going to be a 1-2 year job.

Status
Not open for further replies.