• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Adelaide Oval, Sat 27th August, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Agree - except flyhalf. IMO he should have just picked Lolesio in every match Quade wasnt available.

The whole JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) thing was silly.
I think he's been a bit all over the shop at 15 too. Injuries were a problem but it is really no surprise that neither Wright nor Petaia are adequate at fullback. Probably should have stuck with Hodge from the beginning or had the fortitude to try Campbell. Anyway, now I think he should lock in on Hodge with Kellaway as backup.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I think he's been a bit all over the shop at 15 too. Injuries were a problem but it is really no surprise that neither Wright nor Petaia are adequate at fullback. Probably should have stuck with Hodge from the beginning or had the fortitude to try Campbell. Anyway, now I think he should lock in on Hodge with Kellaway as backup.
The problem with Hodge as 15 is that you need a fast runner as fullback for cover defence. He has been run around in previous tests.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
The problem with Hodge as 15 is that you need a fast runner as fullback for cover defence. He has been run around in previous tests.
At least he's actually been playing in that position for a while unlike Kellaway or Wright.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I think hodge has been average at 15 and not a standout under the high ball. He’s played better at 10.
His boot is his main asset and was a standout for Australia A so his inclusion will help a territory game if we play that way.
Hope I’m wrong but I reckon by game 2 he will return to the bench or even 10 if lol has a shocker

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I think Hodge is capable under the high ball. Yes he's had a few bad games but he's also had some good games under the high ball.
Hopefully this week he has been getting the practice in, he's a big guy so there's no reason why he can't dominate in the air. Maybe more time at fullback will mean he will start getting some consistency in that area.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He is our best bet ATM and is deceptively fast. His positional play is very good and of course the boot is invaluable if used well. Eventually Petaia may come good. He has extraordinary ability in counter attack and in taking the high ball but just needs more control in general.
I doubt Wright is a long term prospect at 15.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
He is our best bet ATM and is deceptively fast. His positional play is very good and of course the boot is invaluable if used well. Eventually Petaia may come good. He has extraordinary ability in counter attack and in taking the high ball but just needs more control in general.
I doubt Wright is a long term prospect at 15.

I agree. Also on Wright, I love that he can slot in from fullback and be the second playmaker and be a vocal voice to help game management especially in the back 3. This is really his point of difference. No other options really have his playmaking ability (he used to play 10 I believe).
But his deficiencies under the high ball, his error rate, and general decision-making, just doesn't sit well at fullback. You want a cool, calm, collected, low-error, strong decision-maker - this is where player like Kellaway shines.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Wright at the moment is a 14/15, if he nails the 15 spot at the ponies in 2023 that may change but he needs to make consistently smarter options (ie cut out the hero or 0 stuff)

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
The Hodge hate is amusing, he is a really solid, safe, smart unit
I agree. He had good showings for Aus A as well which was all he could do after being left out of the Wallabies squad to begin.

He does do things occasionally that make you go "What the fuck" but he has a massive boot, big body, he is fast enough (big loping strides always look slower) and importantly at the moment he is available and fit.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
I love me an afternoon test and will be on hand to watch it with a mate in person. Don’t mind the side that’s been picked either. A few blokes coming back certainly help.

I absolutely agree about "arvo footy" but not against club rugby including up against club finals in Adelaide! Just think this week should have been under lights & next week on sunday arvo in the new stadium maybe

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
The Hodge hate is amusing, he is a really solid, safe, smart unit
Look I don't want to become like some of the other posters on this forum and get known for flogging a dead horse, but this statement is just plain incorrect.

Reece Hodge in 2016 might have been considered a pretty safe and consistent player but you obviously haven't been following his career trajectory for the last four years; he's actually become known for his unpredictability with form that spans from poor (look at his Rebel form basically in perpetuity) to slightly above average but never really anything above.

Despite all that, I really think we need to stick with him for the next three games. One of the common excuses for Hodge is that he never gets to play consistently in one position for the Wallabies and is constantly being shifted/ benched - let's finally put that to rest and give him the opportunity to prove that he can/ should be a starting Wallaby.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Not completely true - there have been plenty of custodians at the back who managed to cover up for speed deficiencies by having a great understanding of the game - look at Rob Kearney or Leigh Halfpenny recently.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He's 28 years old. There is no waiting for development now.

He is the best option at 15 currently fit with match fitness. I think his versatility has actually helped his career and not hindered it for him professionally at least. If he was only ever playing 1 position I don't think he would get near these squads or have eye balls on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.