• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Adelaide Oval, Sat 27th August, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Not completely true - there have been plenty of custodians at the back who managed to cover up for speed deficiencies by having a great understanding of the game - look at Rob Kearney or Leigh Halfpenny recently.
Agree with you on this one. Completely depends on a players ability to read the game and be positionally correct. The good League Fullbacks show this the best when they are always a step ahead of the attacking team.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I agree. Also on Wright, I love that he can slot in from fullback and be the second playmaker and be a vocal voice to help game management especially in the back 3. This is really his point of difference. No other options really have his playmaking ability (he used to play 10 I believe).
But his deficiencies under the high ball, his error rate, and general decision-making, just doesn't sit well at fullback. You want a cool, calm, collected, low-error, strong decision-maker - this is where player like Kellaway shines.

? Sure this would be an advantage. Did we see it against Argentina? For me the management at the back was utterly hopeless.

Look I'll keep my mind open as we go forward but I really did not see it in the last test. Far from it.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Also not sure that he is "a vocal voice to help game management" doesn't seem it to me anyway. Wright just plays what he sees in front of him every time which can bring you to your feet but also leads to a lot of errors. Not much thinking about 2/3 plays down the track.

Reactions: dru

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
cards on the table. I'm a massive Hodge fan - always have been. Thought he could have been our long term 13 option post Mortlock but he never got the game time there. Love the fact that, after a poor Super Rugby season (very out of character) he's back and central to the Wallaby's success.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
cards on the table. I'm a massive Hodge fan - always have been. Thought he could have been our long term 13 option post Mortlock but he never got the game time there. Love the fact that, after a poor Super Rugby season (very out of character) he's back and central to the Wallaby's success.
I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not..

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I saw him first in Shute Shield, he played centre for the Manly Marlins (IIRC).

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I agree. Also on Wright, I love that he can slot in from fullback and be the second playmaker and be a vocal voice to help game management especially in the back 3. This is really his point of difference. No other options really have his playmaking ability (he used to play 10 I believe).
But his deficiencies under the high ball, his error rate, and general decision-making, just doesn't sit well at fullback.
You want a cool, calm, collected, low-error, strong decision-maker - this is where a player like Kellaway shines.
I've always said he's a bit too rocks and diamonds. He doesn't have a deficiency under the high ball, he had a bit of a shocker last time out, but every other game has been fine.

It's always been his best quality and his worst is that he loves to have a crack probably more often than he should. I'd hope the Brumbies play him at 15 next year and he rains it in a little, or if he is going to go balls out make sure it comes off.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I've always said he's a bit too rocks and diamonds. He doesn't have a deficiency under the high ball, he had a bit of a shocker last time out, but every other game has been fine.

It's always been his best quality and his worst is that he loves to have a crack probably more often than he should. I'd hope the Brumbies play him at 15 next year and he rains it in a little, or if he is going to go balls out make sure it comes off.

I actually would have preferred Wright to come off the bench here, start Kellaway and then put Wright on with 20mins to go fresh at either fullback or wing but tell him to have a crack.

I don’t think we get that same level of creativity with Kellaway coming on fresh.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I actually would have preferred Wright to come off the bench here, start Kellaway and then put Wright on with 20mins to go fresh at either fullback or wing but tell him to have a crack.

I don’t think we get that same level of creativity with Kellaway coming on fresh.

I think there's a couple of reasons for Kellaway returning from the bench...

They're easing him back in after two months sidelined through injury, and he's being eyed as our next long term fullback so he may come on for Hodge depending on how the game is going.

In the meantime, Hodge provides some experience and reliability, and can also help take some of the pressure off Lolesio.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)

Probably just a slow reintroduction for Kellaway. He hasn't played for what? about10 weeks? He'll start next weekend no doubt.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
None have played poorly that is correct, but the reason we don't have a definitive 3 is because none have really stood out.

Where's our Retallick/Whitelock, Etzebeth/Lood, Ryan/Beirne 50+ Test combo coming from?

I think a lock combination/cohesion is underrated, especially as they can complement each other in the LH/TH type roles.
And our least correct in terms of size is our most consistent lock ie Philip..

Status
Not open for further replies.