• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Adelaide Oval, Sat 27th August, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah even Faf's hit on White post-dive was pretty grubby imo. Understandably wanted to get one back, but White had already been on the ground for a second, he doesn't pull out at all, and it could be viewed as dangerous contact to head/neck. A bit surprised it hasn't been noted much tbh.
View attachment 14631
I was thinking about that, isn't it diving on a man on the ground? People get done for it all the time when chasing kicks.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Wright had such a better game, really belongs on the wing. Brought his super rugby form across. Even brought the absolute brain dead yellow card too. Like jesus that was stupid by him, wasn't even necessary, we had cover defence set.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I won't lie, I had schadenfreude when he knocked himself out 30 seconds in the 1st Test against NZ. He was flying up like a madman. Completely out of control.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
I can see where you're coming from, some ref's could have gave a yellow for that, especially with how conservative the refs have been going the last couple of years. There really is no consistency in ref's these days.

The real question is, do you actually want a yellow given for that tackle?

My answer is no! This is rugby, a contact sport, he did at least try and attempt an arm, there was nothing in that tackle which screamed misconduct or intent to be dangerous.

I hope that similar tackles will continue to give the benefit of the doubt to the tackler because it is very very rare that players are going out there trying to drop other players on their head or blatantly shoulder charging. Now contact to the head is probably a different story too.

Honestly, no. I don't think tackles like that should be carded.

I should point out that - while I do think it was a penalty, the only reason I think it might be a YC is due to the context of it being in a try scoring situation and a potential PT which - if awarded - would mean a YC. And TBH, I don't particularly like the PT = automatic YC rule either.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
This might ignite some controversy but I reckon we should stick with Hodge at 15. He's as safe as a house, is deceptively quick, has a massive boot and has never had a proper opportunity to lock down a jersey number. He has a fair bit of Chris Latham about him - main difference is Latham was a NSWelshman who defected to Qld, Hodge defected to Victoria! Keep working on Kellaway (possibly as starting 14) and Petaia in the background but I reckon this is Reece's time. He's not Folau but he's pretty fucking good I reckon.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wright had such a better game, really belongs on the wing. Brought his super rugby form across. Even brought the absolute brain dead yellow card too. Like jesus that was stupid by him, wasn't even necessary, we had cover defence set.

I don't think we were set to defend Vermuelen running to the line.

Nic White was the only player behind the goal line (and even then he was technically offside as his hands were on the ground in the field of play.

Valetini and McReight were the next closest but neither were onside.

Vermuelen goes close to scoring in spite of Wright grabbing hold of him as soon as he tapped the ball and White assisting with the tackle.

It was as professional as professional fouls come but I think he had to do it to stop Vermuelen scoring.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This might ignite some controversy but I reckon we should stick with Hodge at 15. He's as safe as a house, is deceptively quick, has a massive boot and has never had a proper opportunity to lock down a jersey number. He has a fair bit of Chris Latham about him - main difference is Latham was a NSWelshman who defected to Qld, Hodge defected to Victoria! Keep working on Kellaway (possibly as starting 14) and Petaia in the background but I reckon this is Reece's time. He's not Folau but he's pretty fucking good I reckon.
Every year Hodge plays like shit for the Rebels, and somehow scrapes into the Wallaby squad due to injuries to other players.

And then he arses his way into the team (again due to injuries) and is so bloody solid wherever he's put. It's remarkable.

You make a few good points KOB, there is a parallel there. Don't hate it at all.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think we were set to defend Vermuelen running to the line.

Nic White was the only player behind the goal line (and even then he was technically offside as his hands were on the ground in the field of play.

Valetini and McReight were the next closest but neither were onside.

Vermuelen goes close to scoring in spite of Wright grabbing hold of him as soon as he tapped the ball and White assisting with the tackle.

It was as professional as professional fouls come but I think he had to do it to stop Vermuelen scoring.

Agreed... at the time I figured if it wasn't him then someone else was going to have to sacrifice themselves in that moment to prevent the try.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Theoretically, I'm partial to giving up a try than a yellow card but to be honest the way the Wallabies play when a man down, it seems like a yellow card is worth less than 5 or 7.

My opinion is in most cases (unlike Saturday), we give away a yellow card on our tryline, they get a penalty then score a try in the next couple phases. We're where we would've been had we not given the yellow card, a try down but a man in the bin too.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I'm also fairly bullish about our hopes next week. Still would say we're not favourites but the same thing happened last year. We won the first one, everyone said the Springboks would come out breathing fire and voila we won again.

For people saying that Pollard won't miss like that again and they won't make so many errors. Well we probably won't lose 6 of our lineouts. What would've that done for the scoreline?

dru

Tim Horan (67)

My starting position is still that he is there due to injuries and not our ideal starting 15. BUT we have been seriously pushed around by not being solid at the back. Until Hodge came in. I'd love to see Jock Campbell get a shot but there is no way I'd be doing that right now, nor against the ABs.

I wouldn't shift Hodge for either Wright or Petaia either. At this point. Kellaway maybe, but I'd prefer we held some consistency in the next game. I might even consider swapping Wright and Petaia but neither to 15.

I'm also fairly bullish about our hopes next week. Still would say we're not favourites but the same thing happened last year.

We do seem to be the Springbok kryptonite when we play at home. The Boks have a lot of improvement in them, or at least a huge upside if they simply return closer to form. They actually need to do that for a win.

Agree with the Boks being favourite, but I'm happy being a Wallaby fan as we approach this game.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Apart from the fact Tom heard the ref yell "no, no". Slipper should've got up him for that and insisted he check the recording.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm also fairly bullish about our hopes next week. Still would say we're not favourites but the same thing happened last year. We won the first one, everyone said the Springboks would come out breathing fire and voila we won again.

For people saying that Pollard won't miss like that again and they won't make so many errors. Well we probably won't lose 6 of our lineouts. What would've that done for the scoreline?
Its kind of amazing we won a game losing 6 lineouts.

Its weird though. Our lineout was a strength against England. They seemed to be doing some overcomplicated bullshit and then just throwing it to Etzebeth in the middle.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Strange that the TMO and referee thought there was sufficient action with the arm.

To be fair, a northern hemisphere officiating crew could have gone the other way.
Korobiti had his arms poised for the tackle, but Mapimpe tried to cut back inside, not giving Korobiti time to react with his arms, but the tackle was arms intended so legal.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Dives are the inevitable outcome of a crackdown on dangerous play. Same thing happened in football when they tried to crack down on leg breakers... they didn't always go straight to ground.
As I said earlier, Vermulen has stayed down twice at games I’ve watched to earn a red card for the opposition and Saffa props are always injured before a scrum so their teammates can have a breather. but you’re right, if you watch club footy there’s no video refs so less players staying down. But after watching Faf mock FF (Folau Fainga'a) after not throwing in straight, my first thought of him getting yellow was suck shit, he dived and you’ve got a yellow card

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.