• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Adelaide Oval, Sat 27th August, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
He could of at least made it less obvious. If you're gunna milk it, try not to pause a moment beforehand.

Faf has had two seperate sin binning for slapping Nic White in the space of two years.

Perhaps the bloke should stop acting like a dickhead and use his hands to grab an opposing player rather than resorting to slap?

D

DELETE ACCOUNT

Faf has had two seperate sin binning for slapping Nic White in the space of two years.

Perhaps the bloke should stop acting like a dickhead and use his hands to grab an opposing player rather than resorting to slap?

I reckon we organise a boxing ring, some gloves and blind referee then let the angry ants get after each other.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The NRL had a big issue with players staying down for penalties earlier this year. Granted in their game there are a lot more nuances to what constitutes a dangerous tackle due to the nature of the impact zone, things like hip drop tackles, crushers and chicken wings aren't really identified as much in rugby.

Anyway, Vlandy's pretty much said anyone who stayed down would be subject to an independent doctor assessment and would likely be required to leave the field for said assessment. There are definitely less players staying down now.

I wonder if White would have milked the penalty like he did if there was a chance he'd be spending 10mins with a doctor for an assessment he knew was bullshit. I'm sure he'd rather stay on the field.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
It's not exactly the same though is it? Soccer players often dive with zero contact. White was struck, he exaggerated the contact which obviously didn't make him fall to his knees but he was still hit.

You can see him about to play on but then he realises he can milk a penalty and goes down. Not great but also if Faf doesn't strike him - doesn't happen. It wasn't a complete dive.
qwerty, it only takes small steps and if my old memory serves me soccer started this about 30 years ago.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
qwerty, it only takes small steps and if my old memory serves me soccer started this about 30 years ago.
Unpopular opinion but Football is far safer/better for it. Sure it's a bit silly but it hardly detracts from the spectacle at all.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
yep, @4.21

great pass, great deception from Noah - you can't number when someone is lurking behind the ref

It was setup earlier were they went back to White and the Bok gobbled him up. They thought it was the same play but we went back inside and Noah was away... Great piece of attack.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Every year Hodge plays like shit for the Rebels, and somehow scrapes into the Wallaby squad due to injuries to other players.

And then he arses his way into the team (again due to injuries) and is so bloody solid wherever he's put. It's remarkable.

You make a few good points KOB, there is a parallel there. Don't hate it at all.
It raises some interesting points - if I was ruthless or commercially- savvy Rugby Australia administrator I'd do my best to get a player like Hodge off the books (to the extent possible) and get some Japanese club to pay the majority of his wage.

He's not great at Super Rugby, so it's hardly a loss to the domestic competition, but the current arrangement would allow us access during the Rugby Championship where do we derive value from him. He's on a relatively lucrative contract, so the savings from that could contribute to the signature of a Sua'ali'i or Burton who have considerably more upside in talent and profile.

In an environment with limited resources, he's hardly a great value for money...

LeCheese

Ken Catchpole (46)
It raises some interesting points - if I was ruthless or commercially- savvy Rugby Australia administrator I'd do my best to get a player like Hodge off the books (to the extent possible) and get some Japanese club to pay the majority of his wage.

He's not great at Super Rugby, so it's hardly a loss to the domestic competition, but the current arrangement would allow us access during the Rugby Championship where do we derive value from him. He's on a relatively lucrative contract, so the savings from that could contribute to the signature of a Sua'ali'i or Burton who have considerably more upside in talent and profile.

In an environment with limited resources, he's hardly a great value for money...
In this situation, there’s no chance Hodge is getting picked as one of our 3 internationals

O

Old High Boy

Korobiti had his arms poised for the tackle, but Mapimpe tried to cut back inside, not giving Korobiti time to react with his arms, but the tackle was arms intended so legal.

If you think that Koro had his left arm wrapped in that Mapimpe tackle (shoulder-body charge), then one of us is blind...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Law 9 FOUL PLAY
Dangerous Play
16. A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without attempting to grasp that player.

The question: how far do you wish "attempting" to go?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
(I'd also add the book doesn't mention the word "wrap" in either Definitions, Law 9 Foul Play, or Law 15 Tackle. "Grasp" is the operative term, as a tackle may be completed using only hands, but is applied more broadly).

O

Old High Boy

16. A player must not charge or knock down an opponent carrying the ball without attempting to grasp that player.

The question: how far do you wish "attempting" to go?

Its simple - you must use 'both' arms to grasp (wrap) around the attacking player...

Not charge head long into the attacker - if he had used both arms, then he would not have been upended as what eventuated...

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Its simple - you must use 'both' arms to grasp (wrap) around the attacking player...

Not charge head long into the attacker - if he had used both arms, then he would not have been upended as what eventuated...

Where exactly does it say you must attempt to grasp with both arms?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If you think that Koro had his left arm wrapped in that Mapimpe tackle (shoulder-body charge), then one of us is blind...
That was not the Emu's contention. He claimed, and I agree, that Koro attempted to wrap his left arm around his opponent but that Mapimpe jinked to avoid him. It all comes down to whether you must wrap or whether you must attempt to wrap according to the interpretation of the law.law.

Status
Not open for further replies.