• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Adelaide Oval, Sat 27th August, 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Philip has to be there against the Boks. We will need his physicality.
I would guess first choice are Philip and Swain right now. They seem to cover all the bases and Philips lineout work is much improved.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
1661159945506.png

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
There aren't many weaknesses in that line-up:

Dweba is the biggest but as soon as it becomes obvious on comes Marx. I assume Bongi is still injured.
Vermuillen might be a weakness based on his last game but he has had two weeks to harden up. If he gets injured there is no big boppa to come on in replacement, only Kwagga Smith. But Kwagga has his own impressive skillset.
Faf De Klerk, but Hendrickse is a classy replacement.
Jantjies and Steyne are not a total loss, but a bit underwhelming.

Contrast that with Australia:
Tupou should be out of the 23.
Phillip may not get selected, but Swain very likely will be.
Will Jed get another chance to impress?
White will try to run the game, slow it down to his pace and continue to get the ref offside.
Who gets 14 and 15 this week? Can they catch?

I would go with:
Slipper, Porecke, AAAAA with Sio, Fa'ainga, Fa'aumausili. Bell misses out for Sio's scrummaging experience. Tupou needs to learn that in test football you never dial it in.
Philip, Arnold with Rodda on the bench. Swain has to learn to play smarter and Frost's day will come.
Holloway, Valetini, McReight with Samu on the bench.
Gordon and Hodge with McDermott and Lolesio on the bench. The hissy fit Rennie had last week was inexcusible. No way was O'Connor in the worst five players on the pitch. He has now dug a huge hole for the team. Does Rennie really think they would have won if O'Connor played better?
Paisami and Ikitau.
Koroibete, Kellaway, Vunivalu with Petaia on the bench.
If Kellaway goes down then Hodge drops to 15 and Lolesio goes to 10. Other replacements are pretty obvious. I'd like to have Leota on the bench, but a 6:2 split is too dangerous given our options.

Reactions: dru

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
What hissy fit?
He benched a player who didn’t perform to the level expected of him and who also didn’t perform in his previous game.
I would go Phillip and Arnold w frost in the bench. Worry that swain is a liability but he is physical so could see his benefit.
I would have Samu in the 23 and probably Leota starting. Jed could cover lock and back row from the bench potentially.
Noah at 10.
id also go Vuni on the wing to start but definitely in the 23. Time to test the big fella out.
Kells at 15

tough team up against so hopefully Adelaide brings the noise.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There aren't many weaknesses in that line-up:

Dweba is the biggest but as soon as it becomes obvious on comes Marx. I assume Bongi is still injured.
Vermuillen might be a weakness based on his last game but he has had two weeks to harden up. If he gets injured there is no big boppa to come on in replacement, only Kwagga Smith. But Kwagga has his own impressive skillset.
Faf De Klerk, but Hendrickse is a classy replacement.
Jantjies and Steyne are not a total loss, but a bit underwhelming.

Contrast that with Australia:
Tupou should be out of the 23.
Phillip may not get selected, but Swain very likely will be.
Will Jed get another chance to impress?
White will try to run the game, slow it down to his pace and continue to get the ref offside.
Who gets 14 and 15 this week? Can they catch?

I would go with:
Slipper, Porecke, AAAAA with Sio, Fa'ainga, Fa'aumausili. Bell misses out for Sio's scrummaging experience. Tupou needs to learn that in test football you never dial it in.
Philip, Arnold with Rodda on the bench. Swain has to learn to play smarter and Frost's day will come.
Holloway, Valetini, McReight with Samu on the bench.
Gordon and Hodge with McDermott and Lolesio on the bench. The hissy fit Rennie had last week was inexcusible. No way was O'Connor in the worst five players on the pitch. He has now dug a huge hole for the team. Does Rennie really think they would have won if O'Connor played better?
Paisami and Ikitau.
Koroibete, Kellaway, Vunivalu with Petaia on the bench.
If Kellaway goes down then Hodge drops to 15 and Lolesio goes to 10. Other replacements are pretty obvious. I'd like to have Leota on the bench, but a 6:2 split is too dangerous given our options.
Agree with the front row but I rec kon FF (Folau Fainga'a) has more physicality in his game than Porecki so would start with him.

Rodda? WTF? Out injured for the remainder of the year I recall. In any case, he has no better form than any of Philip, Frost or Swain, and no recent game time, I don't know where Arnold fits into this side, but Philip to start and Frost on the bench (he can do things no other Lock can with his pace). So one of Arnold or Swain to start, the other misses out.

Otherwise I'd definitely go with Foketi at 12 in place of Paisami. Foketi with Ikitau looked to be the best combination we've so far put out in the centres.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What hissy fit?
He benched a player who didn’t perform to the level expected of him and who also didn’t perform in his previous game.
I would go Phillip and Arnold w frost in the bench. Worry that swain is a liability but he is physical so could see his benefit.
I would have Samu in the 23 and probably Leota starting. Jed could cover lock and back row from the bench potentially.
Noah at 10.
id also go Vuni on the wing to start but definitely in the 23. Time to test the big fella out.
Kells at 15

tough team up against so hopefully Adelaide brings the noise.

Yeah, Rennie specifically said he was disappointed that JOC (James O'Connor) did not enact their game plan…

But I doubt he’s going to bench Swain, after the best performance by an Australian lock this year in the win against Argentina.

Philip’s lack of physicality was also an issue in his last two performances.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Vunivalu looked good in open play on the weekend for Wests, but was also a liability in defence.

Ended up getting yellowed card for a high shot. Rennie might not be so keen on him this weekend.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Hopefully AAA is good to go and will start with TT coming off the bench. Tupou is more suited to that role where he can have an impact and get some confidence.
The bomb squad demand that we have a decent bench front row.
The Boks look very strong.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Hopefully AAA is good to go and will start with TT coming off the bench. Tupou is more suited to that role where he can have an impact and get some confidence.
The bomb squad demand that we have a decent bench front row.
The Boks look very strong.
Apparently White and AAA are the vice captains to Slipper. If all of them start you'd expect all of them to be absent for most of the last quarter of the game. I wonder if this means AAA won't be starting.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I think you missed the point why JOC (James O'Connor) was dropped. He had a role to be leader in the group and did not execute.

Status
Not open for further replies.