• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Ireland - 3rd test - Saturday 23rd June 2018 - Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Not sure what to make of that game, and the series. Tonight was a slog fest between two side with very little attacking flair. Ireland won the battle of the advantage line I thought. The Wallabies again had the better of the scrum. Lineouts were pretty even - think the Wallabies won one against the throw but can't remember the Irish doing so.

Have to agree with the Pillock that this Irish side plays the most boring rugby probably in the world atm.

I do wonder if the result might have been different if Hodge had been on earlier. There was a long penalty just out of Foley's range mid way through the second half that Hodge would have eaten for distance. The score at the time was 17-16 to Ireland as I recall. And then there was the later penalty that Foley missed. Not saying that Hodge would have kicked them, but he would have given both a very good shot, and if he only landed one it would have put us in front late in the game.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
So who's our 10?
Agree on Powell
Foley’s time has come. Not capable of exerting enough control in the moments that matter. His goal kicking has been 50/50 for 18 months. There is no immediate successor ready, perhaps Beale but he is our biggest threat to the opposition and 10 may stifle that. He may get to play out the season but that needs to be the end if it. By the way if tonight doesn’t end the Powell experiment we have major issues. Gordon has him covered in every facet of the game, not sure how Cheika and Larkham see it differently but he is as useful as a chocolate ashtray

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
The referees have been pretty poor and inconsistent over this series and the All Blacks - France one, and while this has made all of the games hard to watch, why the funk do we keep using a pea shooter to kick the ball back to the opposition just so they can start their attack well into our territory?

Kick for grass or kick for touch. I can't see why we continue to exit by taking the ball over the 22 then losing the chance to bang it long down the touch line. So frustrating.

And while on the subject of refs, why don't they just have the same ref and touchies across the entire 3 games? At least that way the players can get used to the wild and wacky decisions without having to guess what new surprises are going to be sprung week after week.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Foley’s time has come. Not capable of exerting enough control in the moments that matter. His goal kicking has been 50/50 for 18 months. There is no immediate successor ready, perhaps Beale but he is our biggest threat to the opposition and 10 may stifle that. He may get to play out the season but that needs to be the end if it. By the way if tonight doesn’t end the Powell experiment we have major issues. Gordon has him covered in every facet of the game, not sure how Cheika and Larkham see it differently but he is as useful as a chocolate ashtray

No, it hasn't. Mid 80s percentage wise.

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hope not that was fucking hilarious. Racist as all hell. But hilarious.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sure he said same in Eden park pre rwc 2011 , we are used of it by now
Watched on channel 10 tonight , I think the commentary team is far better .
Certainly far more knowledgable of the opposition

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Record crowd for any sport at Alliance.

Why is it being demolished!?

Epic match, great series.

Well played the Irish. Gee I hope they take that form to the World Cup.

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It's always first xv in November , in June it never is due to the length of the domestic season
And that wasn't irelands 3rd team it was a 1.5 / 1.75 team

Whatever mate. It's the same schtick with every team that comes here. You know it works the other way round too, when SH teams tour after a long season. It's rubbish - a few players missing is par for the course for most International teams these days. Everyone has to deal with it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
The referees have been pretty poor and inconsistent over this series and the All Blacks - France one, and while this has made all of the games hard to watch, why the funk do we keep using a pea shooter to kick the ball back to the opposition just so they can start their attack well into our territory?

Kick for grass or kick for touch. I can't see why we continue to exit by taking the ball over the 22 then losing the chance to bang it long down the touch line. So frustrating.

And while on the subject of refs, why don't they just have the same ref and touchies across the entire 3 games? At least that way the players can get used to the wild and wacky decisions without having to guess what new surprises are going to be sprung week after week.

Yeah not sure there are any good referees going around. Good to see the TMOs have really stepped up this June test series. I was starting to worry they might not have a great enough influence. Hope they fix this shit before the World Cup, imagine some of the decisions we've seen recently in a World Cup knockout stage.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Looks to be some preconceived views about Powell coming out of the woodwork. One thing he does better than Phipps is sniping. Otherwise, there's not a lot of difference in the way they both play the game. Probably not coincidental that the Wallabies' attack was much more threatening after Powell came on than it was for the whole of the time Phipps was there.

I too would like to see Gordon get a chance, but imo it should be at the expense of Phipps, not Powell.

K974

Allen Oxlade (6)
Whatever mate. It's the same schtick with every team that comes here. You know it works the other way round too, when SH teams tour after a long season. It's rubbish - a few players missing is par for the course for most International teams these days. Everyone has to deal with it.

Ya I understand that , but look at the structure of the season and tell me there isn't a far great probability that a Nh team will be Missinb frontliners in June than a Sh team will be November
Hence the push of a global season
Our eurpieanan and domestic club finals are played the 2 weeks before the June 1st test, our provinces play in 2 comps
The super rugby final is a couple of months before you leave for end of year tests

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Ya I understand that , but look at the structure of the season and tell me there isn't a far great probability that a Nh team will be Missinb frontliners in June than a Sh team will be November
Our eurpieanan and domestic club finals are played the 2 weeks before the June 1st test, our provinces play in 2 comps
The super rugby final is a couple of months before you leave for end of year tests

And then we have another test series after Super Rugby, last year the team left the Tuesday after the final test match.

Oh and if Taf and Genia were playing we would have won. See how this doesn't work?

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
So who's our 10?
Agree on Powell

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Sadly I don’t know who it is but I do know it isn’t him

Hodge is being massively under utilised, Stewart has some of the tools but is 2 years away. If Foley got busted tomorrow it would be Beale. Worried about the vacuum that creates elsewhere

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
He hasn’t kicked any of the ones that we have had to have. Kicking 80 % of those within a 30 m radius of the black dot is meaningless.

Rubbish, so we should only measure kick % on the kicks you specify? You know all the other ones matter because they make up the score?

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Looks to be some preconceived views about Powell coming out of the woodwork. One thing he does better than Phipps is sniping. Otherwise, there's not a lot of difference in the way they both play the game. Probably not coincidental that the Wallabies' attack was much more threatening after Powell came on than it was for the whole of the time Phipps was there.

I too would like to see Gordon get a chance, but imo it should be at the expense of Phipps, not Powell.

I haven’t had an opinion on Powell before tonight

I saw him snipe twice tonight and fucked them both. He was slow at the ruck if he made it there at all. As a noted Phipps hater I have to admit he had a decent game

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

You heard of the Rugby Championship? It's the same issue for everyone. Spare me.

Status
Not open for further replies.