• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Ireland - 3rd test - Saturday 23rd June 2018 - Sydney Football Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
^^^^
Obviously, in the heat of the moment you want any advantage your team can get.

Objectively, a game with less penalties is more entertaining than one with many.

Depends on perspective. I'd like the oppostion penalised if their backs are a metre offside or if they are slowing down the ball at the tackle.

I disagree with the whole premise of your argument that the quantum of penalties make the game more or less entertaining.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Limited print run, please DM cyclo for shipping/payment details:

irishrugby_zpsluvoo4vq.png
Maybe that is all Ireland needed to do to win the series and they reasoned that they would keep a few tricks in the locker for the greater challenges that lie ahead...Just saying like...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Very true. And Coleman looked to use his arms in that cleanout, so a penalty for a shoulder charge would have been wrong. In from the side maybe, but that doesn't seem to be penalised much these days. As you say, it was under penalty advantage anyway, so WTF?
That “clear out” occurred several seconds after the whistle had been blown by the ref who was stood two meters from Coleman. It was not the brightest thing you will see on a rugby field.

Istanbul

Vay Wilson (31)
Maybe that is all Ireland needed to do to win the series and they reasoned that they would keep a few tricks in the locker for the greater challenges that lie ahead.Just saying like.

Winners are grinners Paddy! Your lads did well. The record books only show the score nobody cares how they won. I actually enjoyed watching the good tough rugby the Irish played.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Just to name a few:
  • Coleman 'offside' when both feet clearly behind the try-line
  • Pinging Kepu for not rolling away, despite immediately rolling away
  • Pinging Latu despite clearly supporting his own weight'
  • The TMO taking 10 minutes to penalize Coleman for a completely legal clean-out.
  • Folau getting yellow carded because a player got dropped by his own teammate.
Could go on.

I get it, but i don't think either side were 25 penalties worth of ill-discipline. Not even close.

The Folau one was a clear penalty, dude. I'm on the fence as to a yellow and the citing is clear BS, but he jumped into another player's space, put an arm around him in the air and the guy landed badly. It's a penalty all day, every day. Blaming the lifter for not being able to do a Beast is total bullshit.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
The Folau one was a clear penalty, dude. I'm on the fence as to a yellow and the citing is clear BS, but he jumped into another player's space, put an arm around him in the air and the guy landed badly. It's a penalty all day, every day. Blaming the lifter for not being able to do a Beast is total bullshit.

He hasn't been cited for it Grant, apparently another one.

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
He hasn't been cited for it Grant, apparently another one.

Wait, so the ref missed a red card level offence on Folau? OMG, one law for the Wallabies, another for everyone else. It's Javed Miandad all over again or something.....

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Blaming the lifter for not being able to do a Beast is total bullshit.

No one was saying the lifter had to do what the Beast did. It was an example of how badly a single man lift can go when there's not even an opposition player involved. If World Rugby is going to mitigate high tackles because a player ducked into it as the French player did in the first test against the All Blacks then you can sure as hell make the case that any sanction Folau receives should be mitigated by the fact the lifter put his player in a dangerous position to begin with.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Thought we actually got the rub of a fair number of penalties last night. Two more Izzy challenges were very questionable, the penalty try against the post, Kerevi offside instead of Sexton, a couple of pococks turnover attempts where he was clearly on the ground.

And that's just the first half

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Michael Lynagh made the point on the English Sky telecast that Cheika constantly moaning about the referee must rub off on the players attitudes.

I thought Gauzere was the best of the three refs yesterday, but how Kepu can be penalised for stopping Murray scoring against the post, and it not be a penalty try is beyond my understanding. I agreed with Australia’s penalty try being awarded without warning for collapsing the maul in the first game but exactly the same thing happened yesterday and it was only a penalty for Ireland, and no yellow.

Ireland were, certainly, not favoured by any of the referees but Schmidt made only passing, oblique references to it....

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
No one was saying the lifter had to do what the Beast did. It was an example of how badly a single man lift can go when there's not even an opposition player involved. If World Rugby is going to mitigate high tackles because a player ducked into it as the French player did in the first test against the All Blacks then you can sure as hell make the case that any sanction Folau receives should be mitigated by the fact the lifter put his player in a dangerous position to begin with.

How though? If Folau doesn't bang into him in the air, then compound that by holding him on the way down, he comes down fine. The lions share of putting him into harms way rests with Folau.

Ben Smith got a yellow card in the RWC final for lifting a leg when Hooper was bound onto Mitchell also and driving his front half down. But Smith was the one who lifted the leg so he takes the card.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Michael Lynagh made the point on the English Sky telecast that Cheika constantly moaning about the referee must rub off on the players attitudes.

I thought Gauzere was the best of the three refs yesterday, but how Kepu can be penalised for stopping Murray scoring against the post, and it not be a penalty try is beyond my understanding. I agreed with Australia’s penalty try being awarded without warning for collapsing the maul in the first game but exactly the same thing happened yesterday and it was only a penalty for Ireland, and no yellow.

Ireland were, certainly, not favoured by any of the referees but Schmidt made only passing, oblique references to it..

As an aside Schmidt I thought was very good in press conference, he certainly speaks sensibly doesn't he?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

Ireland were, certainly, not favoured by any of the referees but Schmidt made only passing, oblique references to it..

He was part of the ruck. Coleman was the one penalized for offside. Kepu couldn't be offside and Coleman wasn't but once the penalty is awarded i don't see why it wouldn't be a penalty try. So i agree. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
How though? If Folau doesn't bang into him in the air, then compound that by holding him on the way down, he comes down fine. The lions share of putting him into harms way rests with Folau.

Ben Smith got a yellow card in the RWC final for lifting a leg when Hooper was bound onto Mitchell also and driving his front half down. But Smith was the one who lifted the leg so he takes the card.

So you are suggesting that once a player is lifted, they basically should not be challenged, because with the player held at leg level, ANY contact to their upper body in trying to get the ball has a high chance of them tipping. How can a jumper challenge for the ball with no contact at all with the other player? The lifter has no responsibility? I find it staggering that people cannot see that the act of lifting is an inherent part of the risk here, and is absolutely a mitigating factor.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
So you are suggesting that once a player is lifted, they basically should not be challenged, because with the player held at leg level, ANY contact to their upper body in trying to get the ball has a high chance of them tipping. How can a jumper challenge for the ball with no contact at all with the other player? The lifter has no responsibility? I find it staggering that people cannot see that the act of lifting is an inherent part of the risk here, and is absolutely a mitigating factor.

Agree Cyclo, so I take it you agree with me about the penalties against jumpers in lineouts that do exactly the same thing!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agree Cyclo, so I take it you agree with me about the penalties against jumpers in lineouts that do exactly the same thing!

No, I don't. For starters, the lineout is based on static players, usually with 2 lifters - players go up, players go down. No lateral forces. Opposition players cannot contact them. Very clear. This situation is completely different - you have a player lifted, usually by a single lifter, and another player coming at speed - therefore lateral force applied if there is ANY contact, be it legal or otherwise. The laws do not say two players in the air cannot contact the other, just that they cannot "play" the other, i.e. tackle them. The two scenarios are dynamically very different.

Status
Not open for further replies.