• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
WJ you should remove the signature from your post. It is an embarresment after last night. Hickey should be making some very serious enquiries with other teams before anyhbody gets hold of the video from that game. There can be no doubt that Hickey will be gone at the end of this year, unless they win the comp (which is no chance at all IMO) and no matter that nobody fronted to play last night, even less so than against the Saders the game before, it reflects on him.

So, when the team plays well the players get the accolades - when they play like shit, it is all the head coach's fault? Sorry, I do not buy that.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
So, when the team plays well the players get the accolades - when they play like shit, it is all the head coach's fault? Sorry, I do not buy that.

Go and have a look at everything else I have posted. The players indeed get the blame. And you conveniently neglect this part, "and no matter that nobody fronted to play last night, even less so than against the Saders the game before, it reflects on him.". But Hickey deserves plenty as well or is he as blameless as Lievremont?

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
What has happened to BKH? Injured or overlooked for selection? IIRC he made the bench a few times for the Brumbies last year yet hasn't come close for the 'tahs. He played well for Southern in the Shute Shield as well.

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
Wycliff Palu has given NSW a further boost ahead of the Super Rugby clash with the Chiefs on Friday night, by extending his contract with the Waratahs.

Palu as well as lock Dean Mumm both decided to lengthen their current deals for a further 12 months, keeping them in NSW and Australian Rugby for the 2012 season.

source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/palu-mumm-resign-with-waratahs-20110330-1cftp.html

Why did they sign on only for 12 months with the lions 2 years away?

Also who thinks the new policy of signing players only on 2 yr contracts is stupid? I would think it smart to secure you're key players on longterm contracts so that the club has some kind of security and stability. I would of signed Beale to a 5yr contract long ago.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
You assume there is only one side making the decisions. Player agents know the short term contract can getbthem another commission in 2 years. The players would be pushing shorter terms (the good ones anyway. Doesn't explain mumm)

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Palu is an interesting one, it's been reported for three or four years now that he is off to japan for big money, he always seems to stay though.

I would suspect mum has only signed for a year due to the fact he may see his wallaby spot in doubt, therefore he would take off if not selected, he offers some flexibility in playing row and breakaway but we have a lot of competition there and I'm guessing he is keeping his options open

T

TOCC

Its possible the latest trend of short(12-24month) term contracts is in preparation for the mooted 'salary cap' introduction.

T

TOCC

He said that the Japan earthquake spooked him. Good to see the disaster had some positive side to it, however unimportant by comparison..

the other thing is, that one would have to imagine the economic impact of the tsunami/earthquake and subsequent nuclear disaster is going to reverberate throughout the country and impact on the revenue flow of rugby teams. Many teams are probably unwilling to fork out such cash with with uncertain times ahead.

sevenpointdropgoal

Larry Dwyer (12)
Admittedly this is more a 2012 thing, but it looks like we could be going to lose KB (Kurtley Beale) to the Rebels. It's a huge loss at fullback, and to our all round attack. Indeed, with Barnes tendency to concussion a ongoing concern, this could leave us without a Super Rugby quality 5/8. Hangers is a reliable player, but that's a serious hole in our line up.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Beale leaving would not be a good thing for Aus Rugby. IMO Beale should stay a fullback and I think Gerrard is a solid fullback and deserves game-time, having both in the same team seems a waste. I'm thinking O'Connor would be a better fit down in Melbourne. They would then have a nice back-line of 9.Phipps 10.Cips, 12.JOC (James O'Connor) 13. Mortlock, 14. Vuna, 15. Gerrard. Sounds pretty good to me!

I don't think the Tahs have adequate back-up for fullback, Turner doesn't seem up to it yet. Same goes for 9 when Burgess leaves, I think Phipps would fit in well at the Tahs they should pursue him with high importance. It also would not hurt the Rebs a lot with Kingi a decent back-up.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Reports are coming through thick and fast (here is one) that Gilbert is going. Usually when that happens it can be considered a done thing, especially with the silence coming from the waratahs...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Sorry for the bolding but there is a new Waratahs 2012 thread started. One was started for the Force recently.

Please post on matters relating to 2012 on the 2012 threads.

New threads for 2012 have not yet been created for the Reds, Rebels or Brumbies as I type this; so please create a new thread for 2012 matters pertaining to these teams, if one doesn't exist at the time.

Thank you

Edit - By all means: use the 2011 thread where applicable.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Does anyone have any info as to when Horne is back?

ASAP for the Tahs sake... They keep playing Taf & Waugh when they are obviously injured, why does Horne not get the same (misguided) treatment? Maybe its worse than first thought? I sure hope not... We need him.

Status
Not open for further replies.