• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Hah, never heard that before - thanks! But yeah my avatar has nothing to do with it I'm afraid, it's just a picture I find particularly hilarious. :)

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Chris Hickey quoted in the Oz today, "The reality is that you have to kick at times in games," Hickey said. "What we have been guilty of is kicking badly."

FFS how long has it taken you to decide that the basic skills execution is poor? How long have the fans endured the repetitive mantra from you about winning ugly? Maybe the penny has finally dropped that the Tahs fans aren't as worried about seeing shitty wins as seeing the team play to their potential and execute some basic Rugby Skills.

Then again My Hickey you haven't played at Super level so you really can't comment.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Foxsports and SMH are reporting some Hickey comments re Vickerman's return:

"We're expecting to see Dan Vickerman the week we get back from South Africa," Hickey said.

"Given our injury situation, it's pretty handy to have him come back into the squad.

"He's pretty fit, he's in good shape, so he'll certainly be an option for us once we return from South Africa."

It's a late run. Hopefully the Tahs get a final and he is going well enough to be in it. I haven't found much notable about his involvement at Northampton recently. Has he had any?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Foxsports and SMH are reporting some Hickey comments re Vickerman's return:

It's a late run. Hopefully the Tahs get a final and he is going well enough to be in it. I haven't found much notable about his involvement at Northampton recently. Has he had any?

I saw two games he played for them about two months ago and he has not featured in the last few big games.

He looked terribly slow.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well, now Kepu and Cross are gone too. Barnes is unlikely to start next week and maybe is out for the season since he can't do a full training session without dizziness and fatigue. So what's left to fill out the season with?

1. Robinson. Playing up to his best. Tilse flying in to back up, but his last good games were for the Tahs last year in similar circumstances.
2. TPN. Not having the same impact as earlier on but still strong. Ulugia in reserve and Fitzpatrick too when they get back to Sydney.
3. Fuse. Played really well when he came on and always to be depended on for a top effort in tight. Paddy Ryan is green but shows a lot of promise.
4. Mumm. Playing to his abilities, he has great aerobic capacity and determination but lacks real impact. O'Connor as back-up doesn't inspire and is off to France accordingly.
5. Timani. One of the finds of the season, sad he's off to Japan. Kane Douglas to back up but has a serious case of second year syndrome.
6. Dennis. Was an absolute star early but has gone off the boil a bit. No back-up till Palu returns when he will go to the bench. If injury strikes Mumm would go to 6 with KD or PO'C coming on.
7. Alcock. A great first up game against the Lions but missed six tackles against the Sharks. Potentially our best fetcher but has to step up in consistency. Perrett is the back up till McCutcheon is back and should get at least 20 mins against the Bulls. McCutcheon was a star at sevens but has been impressive only once in four or five starts. Doesn't look like the next Pocock
8. Mowen. See comment on Dennis, Will go to 6. when Palu returns to strengthen the backrow.
9. Burgess. Ran well from the base but a lot of the turnovers were fundamentally due to his poor passing. Great bench impact player who is having a dislocative impact on the backline. McKibben is the back up who should be given an opportunity to start.
10. Hangers. Back to his best form last weekend and looked sublime. Missed one tackle that was really Alcocks man, which had the critics howling for him to be pulled. Critics, schmiticks. Only back up is Beale who needs to stay at 15 to keep the structure right and provide impact further out.
12. Carter. Actually missed one game through injury this year but is usually Mr Reliable. I guess BKH would have to come in if Carter's injured but he's also backing up Turner in 13. Maybe Batcher could fill in but its a huge worry.
13. Turner. A winger doing his absolute best but a winger/fullback nonetheless. BKH backing up, who has been injured for most of the season.
11. Anesi. No back-ups left and no one on the plane either. WTF? Says everything when Anesi is guaranteed 80 mins.
14. Pakalani. No back-ups left. Played really well when he came on and will do us proud. Almost won the game off a Beale grubber.
15. Beale. Playing OK but several times took the wrong option and ended up in turnovers. Team needs some real Kurtley magic to turn the season around. Batger the back-up, who is a journeyman fullback from Shute. Won't let us down but only a stopgap.

The biggest surprise is that we are still in the top six. The Force had it tough early and are now bottom four. The Crusaders have had a tough run of injury too but are still in the finals mix. Will find it tough to win from here though.

Writing this has triggered a severe depressive incident. Others on the site , especially Reds fans, dismiss the injury run as "just a minor problem everyone has". But last weekend the Reds team that ran out was virtually first choice except for Harris, Hynes and Davies. They are really riding their luck. The Tahs on the other hand are missing their best 3, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, all of them internationals and back-up players too numerous to mention. We've had to pull six players from the training squad or Shute Shield. Its not been our only problem this year but its been an elephant in the room of gigantic proportions.

I won't stop rooting for them but I think we are just about done for the season. The Bulls game could just about finish it if we get one more key injury.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
If Vickerman never takes to the field again but managers to fire a rocket up Kane Douglas's arse, his signing will be justified.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Well said Hornet, but I wont accept the excuses of injuries. Two games this year they have lost because of their flakiness and lack of any decent basic skills and application. Even if they had just played well against the Cheetahs they would not be in this position. I don't hold out much hope of them beating the Bulls this week, and as such IMO the season is all but, for them.

I think this guarentees that Hickey will be gonne next year, and as I said before I hope to see some others leave as well so that we can see areal culture change at the Tahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.