• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
you can't always pick the young ones and Link picked the veteran Radike Samo at a 'similar' time last season for the Reds after a similar run of injuries.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
you can't always pick the young ones and Link picked the veteran Radike Samo at a 'similar' time last season for the Reds after a similar run of injuries.

More concerned with the planning Tahs have.

Waugh is coming to the end of his career, and I see and a couple opensides below him that look adequate at best and I see a perfect opportunity to have a young gun open side sitting in the academy being "developed" and given time when needed to be blooded.

Instead we have to resort to picking a quality club side guy who will provide coverage for the game, but what after that?

I remember Link talking about getting a squads balance right - having young guns, more mature units with the core physical training in place and the more experienced unit. Link has a ton of kids coming through and looked to balance that with with some experianced units in Shep & Samo.

The Tahs are an experienced stable pack, but who is the young, enthusiastic "gun" back rower coming through to put pressure on the incumbents?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
FP this is the biggest thing that worries me about the Tahs. We have very little quality young talent coming through. The Reds have Gill, Shipperley, Schatz, the Brumbies have Hooper, Fainga'a, To'omua, the Force have Dellitt, Whittaker, the Rebels have Pyle and Kingi. And we have? Other than the perpetually-injured Horne we have very little to get excited about. Fitzpatrick? Pakalani?

For a franchise with a huge academy and the whole Shute Shield at our disposal we are doing pretty poorly in this area IMO.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
FP this is the biggest thing that worries me about the Tahs. We have very little quality young talent coming through. The Reds have Gill, Shipperley, Schatz, the Brumbies have Hooper, Fainga'a, To'omua, the Force have Dellitt, Whittaker, the Rebels have Pyle and Kingi. And we have? Other than the perpetually-injured Horne we have very little to get excited about. Fitzpatrick? Pakalani?

For a franchise with a huge academy and the whole Shute Shield at our disposal we are doing pretty poorly in this area IMO.

There are some gun guys coming through who might really develop into something. I think Woodhouse, Bennetts, Peterson and Lopeti Timani are possible goodies along with Kingston. BKH has got injured at the worst possible time, so who knows about him. Ryan and Roberts have potential Our immediate problem is that all the outstanding young fetchers are either in QLD, ACT or WA squads. That is piss poor recruiting that we have no one. Jack Lam's brother was wandering around looking for a gig earlier this year but people obviously thought he was no good - just like they thought his brother was no good but now he is the incumbent Hurricane backrower.

What to do? Time to make a priority list, open the cheque book, and start telephoning their agents from the top down to see who we can poach. Mind you, if Perritt plays like I think he might in higher quality company we might have another senior back-up, but we need a YOUNG fetcher coming through.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

With respect, does anybody at the Tah's have an eye for talent? It must get right up the noses of Tah fans to see Beau carve it up at QLD when they had him him in their own backyard, did not see a good thing when they had one. Hooper is a product of yours but how did he slip through the net and end up at the Brumbies. All at the same time they buy the likes of Dud Roodt and Annessi.

I feel for you blokes as that would frustrate the crap out of me.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agreed, but we can add Peterson, Tetera Faulkner, Scott Sio & Paddy Ryan to the younglings in the tight - Foley has been doing his work

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
With respect, does anybody at the Tah's have an eye for talent?

It's what happens when you've got the most talent. There's only one team to make so anyone not getting a go is obviously going to go elsewhere. The Brumbies, Rebels, Force and even Reds snap up our juniors straight out of school. What can you do? Can't sign everyone.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
It's what happens when you've got the most talent. There's only one team to make so anyone not getting a go is obviously going to go elsewhere. The Brumbies, Rebels, Force and even Reds snap up our juniors straight out of school. What can you do? Can't sign everyone.

I understand what you are saying but it doesn't explain why the good ones are allowed to slip through the net.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

do they? Who?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not only that RugbyReg, but apparently NSW has clearly dominated the Australian school boys in recent years, I mean, by the sounds of it they are producing most of the talent being snapped up, so it's a logical conclusion to make.

If only it were true...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not only that RugbyReg, but apparently NSW has clearly dominated the Australian school boys in recent years, I mean, by the sounds of it they are producing most of the talent being snapped up, so it's a logical conclusion to make.

If only it were true...

u16s have been very dominant, yes

T

tranquility

Laughable. QLD dominates school boy rugby currently, and they do it giving a way a year of growth and skill development. I can't even take you seriously anymore.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Laughable. QLD dominates school boy rugby currently, and they do it giving a way a year of growth and skill development. I can't even take you seriously anymore.

u16s tournament NSW dominates. Get your facts right. All the same age there aren't they?

T

tranquility

Haha, not intentionally! What's the Heath Ledger quote?

When told of Heath Ledgers death by a swarm of paparazzi immediately after the event and it is clear that it is the first time he has heard the news, Jack Nicholson deadpans "well I warned him", with no further comment on the matter. He is of course referring to the risk of taking on the role of the Joker. Pretty eery I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.