• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I was actually thinking on sat that its funny hickey is persisting with Timani. I know his form has improved since the start of the season and Douglas was a bit off from the saders game on, but he is still an Aus A player who until rd 3 many on here were touting as a future wallaby lock, while timani still gets "tits for hands" syndrome, and is effing off at the end of the season. When Douglas did come on, he did something to remind me of why the tahs were strong last year - he stood up in the tack and offloaded well, and he also backed up other runners well.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Looking to the immediate future - round 14 - does anyone know if O'Connor is still injured and who we might take to SA as back-up to Alcock?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
so we are in a dangerous position here. Thank god Palu and Fitzy are back for the lions.

Cat - Fitzy - Keps
Mumm - Douglas
Mowen - Alcock - Palu
McKibben - Barnes
Carter - Kingston
Anesi - Beale - Turner

16. Ulugia
17. Baxter
18. O'Connor
19. Lopeti Timani?
20. Burgess
21. Hangas
22. ANYONE EXCEPT CROSS

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Bit harsh on Cross. He's currently the best 13 we have. You know what you get with him. Makes little errors and is always strong in contact.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, I'm with qwerty, why throw the 20 year old in who has almost experience at the expense of Cross' experience? I'd love to see Horne fit and firing, but in his absence, I don't want to be trying guys out in a game we simply must win, and win well. After Ulugia's effort on the weekend, I would be surprised if Fitzpatrick started at his expense after some time out.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If Phil and Horne are out of the season well there you have it. Season definitely over. Won't win anything without Horne.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Waratahs forced to call on club flanker Hugh Perrett

Iain Payten
May 14, 2011 12:00AM

TOUGH Eastwood flanker Hugh Perrett will be drafted onto the Waratahs' bench for his Super Rugby debut next week against the Lions after more bad news on the injury front for NSW.

Both skipper Phil Waugh and Wycliff Palu are expected to remain sidelined for at least another week with hamstring injuries, and will target the South African tour for a return to the game.

With Pat McCutcheon out for six weeks with an ankle injury, Perrett has been called as backup for the Tahs' only fit openside flanker, Chris Alcock.

The 29-year-old is not short on experience. Perrett, who has played for NSW A, also represented the Western Rams in the ARC, spent time in the UK and is a strong club performer for Eastwood. He finished second in the Ken Catchpole Medal last year.

"He has been one of the most consistent players in club rugby for the last five or six years, Hugh, and this year his form for Eastwood has been really good. We have a great deal of confidence in his ability to play at this level," coach Chris Hickey said.

"Physically, he is more than equipped to handle this level of football. And his versatility is a big plus, too; he can play 6, 7 or 8."

Having often been forced to scour the ranks for fit troops, Hickey will be given a more agreeable selection headache at hooker with both Tatafu Polota-Nau and Damien Fitzpatrick ready to return.

But after John Ulugia turned in a strong performance in beating the Force last week, the famous "third-string" hooker could have claims to stay higher up in the rankings.

Meanwhile, Brumbies prop Dan Palmer has been ruled out of their clash with the Lions tonight in Canberra with a foot injury. Jono Owen returns to the starting line-up, and Salesi Ma'afu comes onto the bench.

Matt Giteau will play his 100th Super Rugby game with his 63rd appearance in Brumbies colours.

This concerns me, I rate Perritt as a good unit but while say the Reds are using injuries as an opportunity to give some kids the opportunity to step up, the Tahs bring in Perritt and before him Batger, both solid players, but not exactly looking forward....................

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I am shocked - Chris Hickey has called up an Eastwood stalwart to cover an injury.

How many Eastwood players has Hickey called in during his tenure who did not fully deserve to be in the team? Name one.

Perrett is an outstanding footballer, and he is leading the team that is at the top of the table.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
This concerns me, I rate Perritt as a good unit but while say the Reds are using injuries as an opportunity to give some kids the opportunity to step up, the Tahs bring in Perritt and before him Batger, both solid players, but not exactly looking forward....................

Agree with that. Is Rodney Ma'a injured? Although he is getting on a bit now (in playing terms) Tim McGann was good for Randwick on the weekend.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)

The season is still on the line and the tahs can't afford to slip up so it would seem the tahs are going for the safe option. QLD have used young guys that are part of their squad but the tahs hav no one left to call on. Perrit and Batger at 29 and 27 are not exactly old and probably deserve their chance based on the past few seasons of club rugby. I think we will see more of this calling upon experienced players to cover injuries during the longer Super 15 season because teams playing for their season can't risk it on a rookie

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Perritt seems to be the best choice from what is a pretty small pool of possibilities. Anyone better than him is probably attached to a franchise already. As I said earlier, we've got great depth at 6 and 8 but our depth at 7 is poor and there do not appear to be any genuine fetchers in the wider squad ready to step up.

Status
Not open for further replies.