• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
why's he the captain then?

Because he is the best man for the job. That is different from calling the line out. Having said that, does Sharpie call the lineout for the Force?

And back to the captain for the Waratahs - I don't know whether Rocky would be a good choice. Just don't think that giving him the added presure will allow him to get his game back to the level that we would all like it to be, if at all possible. Well me anyway. I think it is a pity that his best years seems to havebeen spent in Ireland.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sharpe does call the lineout for the Force...

But yes, lineout caller and captain are mutually exclusive responsibilities...

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
But yes, lineout caller and captain are mutually exclusive responsibilities...

Wouldn't go that far. Certainly depends on the people involved. The person best to call the lineout may not necssarily be the best captain, e.g Simmo, but they may be, e.g Sharpie.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
That's going too far

Sorry got caught up inside inside's post - I (being the man in tights) said

The line out caller should be an insightful/intelligent person who spends hours analyzing videos of opponents' line outs and has an excellent sense of timing his various attacking/defending formations. The caller is neither mutually inclusive or exclusive from the forward leader/captain - he just needs to be the best tactician not necessarily the best leader.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
"Elsom was selected as Wallabies captain in 2009 following a long and stringent process by the Australian Rugby Union, including external psychoanalysis tests which confirmed Elsom was the best man for the job."
Psychoanalysis: Therapeutic method for treating mental disorders by investigating interaction of conscious and unconscious elements in the mind and bringing the latter into consciousness. (Oxford)​
Well that's another piece of the puzzle revealed. Given the Wallabies' subsequent performances it's a pity the shrinks didn't examine those who engaged them instead of being turned loose on poor Rocky.​
"With Waugh having captained the side for the past five years, most Waratahs players only knew him as the captain, leading Foley to call on his eight-man leadership group and senior players to help elect a new skipper."
Actually, Foles wanted to consult more widely but the cleaning lady said she was far too busy.​
I fancy that that rumbling I hear is my old mate Brock spinning furiously in his grave.​

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
- and I wish we still had Mowen. He's another one that comes up well in replays. [And not to the point of the Tahs, but his lineout expertise for the Brumbies will counter the fact that no.8 Vaea is not a jumper.]

This is a maybe, replacing Mowen with Elsom is an upgrade to me. The only caveat is Elsom's fitness.

Elsom is an excellent defensive lineout unit at two as well and better around the field

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
This is a maybe, replacing Mowen with Elsom is an upgrade to me. The only caveat is Elsom's fitness.

Elsom is an defensive excellent lineout unit at two as well and better around the field

When he is fit he also is a workhorse absolute at the breakdown...

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
That's exactly what I was saying. And vice versa.

OK, now re-reading you comment I understand. You were saying responsibilities, not the person.

Re Rocky as captain - I am glad to see that the players support him in the role and that it continues. I just hope that he can get back playing consistantly and long term, and that the pressure of the job doesn't effect his game how the Wallabies job appeared to effect his game. In hind site this may have been related to his injury, but I guess only time will tell.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No worries.

The way I see it is just because you're the captain and play lock (or 6, 7, 8) doesn't mean you have to be the lineout caller.

The lineout caller is the guy who's best for the job.

It would be like saying Mortlock should've been calling the backline plays instead of Larkham because he's the captain...

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I've always thought that co-captains or large leadeship groups just tended to hand more power to the coach, who becomes the unquestioned top guy if the player authority is splintered. Though it doesn't seem to me that Foley would be the sort of guy to need to assert his authority in that way. But again, maybe that's a Phil Waugh hangover also?

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Just bought the new Tahs jersey. Rebel sports and Mick Simmons in the city have stock of all the Australian teams.

30 degrees in town today, not a good day to be trying on jerseys. Nearly bought the Tahs training singlet instead.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No worries.

The way I see it is just because you're the captain and play lock (or 6, 7, 8) doesn't mean you have to be the lineout caller.

The lineout caller is the guy who's best for the job.

It would be like saying Mortlock should've been calling the backline plays instead of Larkham because he's the captain...

I like that analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.