• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Do you reckon Rocky is as serious and stand offish with the team as he is with the media? I hope and suspect not. I think he will make a fine captain, if for no other reason than players have stated publicly and repeatedly that they WANT to follow him on the field. This presence or ("mana" as our kiwi mates would say) he apparently has must be pretty serious business because as far as I can tell it earned him the wallaby captaincy, which by most other measures he did not deserve at the time. This role will probably suit him better.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Do the Tahs encourage/allow fans to turn up to watch training? If so, where do they publicise the open training sessions?

They don't publicise, though maybe they have some official open days. If you're interested just call the Waratahs and ask where the lads are practising the next day or the day after. When they practise opposite the SCG Members entrance anyone can rock up and watch so long as you give them space. When they practise at Victoria Barracks for secret boys stuff, it's by Guest List only.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Do you reckon Rocky is as serious and stand offish with the team as he is with the media? I hope and suspect not. I think he will make a fine captain, if for no other reason than players have stated publicly and repeatedly that they WANT to follow him on the field. This presence or ("mana" as our kiwi mates would say) he apparently has must be pretty serious business because as far as I can tell it earned him the wallaby captaincy, which by most other measures he did not deserve at the time. This role will probably suit him better.

He'll probably have no public comment on that

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Was at Tahs training this arvo. I counted all the people in the crowd watching and it was a total of 1 - me.

Before they even started Michael Foley came over to me and introduced himself, no kidding. It was a very nice thing to do. (Working the crowd?)

I can imagine the conversation:

Foley - G'day, how's it going?
Lee - yeah good thanks, now about the scrum hit, here's what you are doing wrong ...... and about that flyhalf playing for the Scots 1st XV, don't you reckon he should really be playing at 12 and his younger brother in the U16s could be a potential signing as a fullback for the 2014 Tahs academy ..... and don't you think that pass in the lead up to your try v USA in the group stage of the 99 RWC was a bit forward.
Foley - ah, you're the guy who's leading the voting in the G&GR awards.

Sorry Lee, not taking the piss. It's all out of respect. :)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I wish I knew about that new instruction to SANZAR referees about the scrum when he said G'day. I would have asked him about that.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Do the Tahs encourage/allow fans to turn up to watch training? If so, where do they publicise the open training sessions?
They don't encourage fans to come, but they don't shoo anyone away. On Thursday mornings they train at Bus Loop Oval across the road from HQ. Otherwise I think they retreat to the secrecy of Victoria Barracks.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Rocky has done quite a few long interviews on Ruggamatrix. He also comes accros as a laconic, thoughtful, having a very dry sense of humour (something that the media struggles with) and a hard task master on himself and his team mates.

Link in another interview while the Tahs coach called him their most professional football who didn't shirk his work on or off the field (training, food diaries, hydration, appintments etc) - so a good role model.

Perfect off the field captain for PR work, maybe not. I can't see some of our idiot journos getting cuddles from him, but around training paddock and playing field he will do fine.

His PR weaknesses can be managed by the selection of the/a vice captain(s) as far as I care - Robinson, Barnes, Nau & Mitchell are all good media players

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was referring to a couple of jerseys I have (Argentina/Stade Francais). But I have to admit that I have tried on an ABs jersey in the collection :oops:... not likely to ever wear it out, unless I lost a bet or moved to NZ.

I lost a bet.... something to look forward to.:(

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Rocky has done quite a few long interviews on Ruggamatrix. He also comes accros as a laconic, thoughtful, having a very dry sense of humour (something that the media struggles with) and a hard task master on himself and his team mates.

Link in another interview while the Tahs coach called him their most professional football who didn't shirk his work on or off the field (training, food diaries, hydration, appintments etc) - so a good role model.

I don't doubt for a second that Rocky has a great work ethic, and every player looks up to him. His public and on-field persona is problematic, but I don't have any objections to him becoming captain if the team want it.

He does need to get better at the PR stuff, or have someone else do it. It's easy to write it off as window dressing, but that could not be more wrong. The captain is the key figure in how the public relates to the players, and it is no coincidence that every other franchise's captain is a warm, friendly and well-loved figure (except the Brumbies at the moment, but both Mowen and Moore have aspects of it). Rocky is not that and most of it is his own doing.

Pocock, Mortlock and Horwill put in the hours off the field to create an image of their side that the public can get around. And they largely do. Too often the Waratahs and the NSWRU are seen as cold, heartless and calculating, lacking in passion both on and off the field. Putting Elsom as captain is not going to help this, so Mitchell, Barnes, Tatafu and Robinson really need to step up on the media front.

And you can write off the whingeing journos all you want, but Rocky's cold pressers end up hurting the Tahs more than anyone else.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am more concerned about the effect the capataincy is going to have on how Rocky plays then his off field / media persona. Personally I have got used to his media presence and at least you know where you stand with him. I really think that he is just very uncomfortable being in the spotlight and particularly being the centre of attention, no matter what he said when I challanged him about it last year. Watch his body language. This however can be (and has) improved with practice, and I hope it continues to do so. The whingeing journos might just need to approach him in a different way and not ask him questions that you know you are not going to get an answer on (after that he just shuts down completely). Lets just hope that he finds his form of a few years ago and gets back to the rampaging Rocky that we all knew and loved.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I am more concerned about the effect the capataincy is going to have on how Rocky plays then his off field / media persona. Personally I have got used to his media presence and at least you know where you stand with him. I really think that he is just very uncomfortable being in the spotlight and particularly being the centre of attention, no matter what he said when I challanged him about it last year. Watch his body language. This however can be (and has) improved with practice, and I hope it continues to do so. The whingeing journos might just need to approach him in a different way and not ask him questions that you know you are not going to get an answer on (after that he just shuts down completely). Lets just hope that he finds his form of a few years ago and gets back to the rampaging Rocky that we all knew and loved.

If he does, the first beneficiary (I mean negative beneficiary), will be the Reds because they'll end up second in the conference and lose the home ground finals advantage. Rocky at his rampaging best (and Cliffy too for that matter) are a class above every other Australian backrower (excepting fetchers where Pocock is number one). At their best a backrow of Pocock, Palu and Elsom would have won us the WC and I am sure this is what Deans wanted to field, despite the injury concerns and that's why both were selected in the squad.

Will Rocky and Cliffy ever get back to their best? As a Tah fan I sure hope so, but as a realist I wonder how much damage the accumulated years of playing have done to their bodies. But if its going to happen, this would be the year.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I find it interesting that with "difficult to interview" players, it is pretty much all perceived as a player problem, and does not at all take into account the abrasive nature of some of the journos. We know how some of them have personal agendas, and are quite often pretty poorly informed. Some of them could pick up their game too. They don't have to pander to players, but they could try to avoid antagonising them too.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I find it interesting that with "difficult to interview" players, it is pretty much all perceived as a player problem, and does not at all take into account the abrasive nature of some of the journos. We know how some of them have personal agendas, and are quite often pretty poorly informed. Some of them could pick up their game too. They don't have to pander to players, but they could try to avoid antagonising them too.

To be honest I disagree cyclo. Growden is the only journo these days that has an 'agenda', all of the others just write the day-to-day pieces you see in the paper. They just want stuff to fill a column, it is very rare they write an opinion piece. In NSW this is guys like Josh Rakic, Ian Payten, Bret Harris, Jamie Pandaram etc.

Rocky just gives them very little to work with. All they want is a couple of printable quotes from a post-match presser, FFS the questions are never that piercing.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
To be honest I disagree cyclo. Growden is the only journo these days that has an 'agenda', all of the others just write the day-to-day pieces you see in the paper. They just want stuff to fill a column, it is very rare they write an opinion piece. In NSW this is guys like Josh Rakic, Ian Payten, Bret Harris, Jamie Pandaram etc.

Rocky just gives them very little to work with. All they want is a couple of printable quotes from a post-match presser, FFS the questions are never that piercing.

It could also be the trend for sensationalist journalism that leads rocky to be less inclined to want to give more in depth answers when he knows how often journalists will intentionally skew the words of an individual for bigger headlines... maybe

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
They don't publicise, though maybe they have some official open days. If you're interested just call the Waratahs and ask where the lads are practising the next day or the day after. When they practise opposite the SCG Members entrance anyone can rock up and watch so long as you give them space. When they practise at Victoria Barracks for secret boys stuff, it's by Guest List only.

They don't encourage fans to come, but they don't shoo anyone away. On Thursday mornings they train at Bus Loop Oval across the road from HQ. Otherwise I think they retreat to the secrecy of Victoria Barracks.

Thanks for that. I was interested to see if they have a set up like their neighbours, the Swans. They have regular open training sessions during the pre-season and season proper, which are listed on the Swans website and fans are encouraged to attend.

Status
Not open for further replies.