• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Saw the lads train again today and they were probably glad for a chance to train in the wet.

The forwards did lineouts and restarts. Two lineouts practised apart and later they opposed each other with no holds barred. Again, Douglas didn't take any prisoners. Mumm and Dennis did most of the calling. They had opposed restarts too which I hadn't seen before. Great idea.

The backs tried different moves which looked pure Randwick. Not every pass went to, or stayed in the, hands, especially as the ball moved wider, but it was good to see some looping moves.

Rocky played halfback receiving the ball so he was running around a little bit. I forgot to mention that Turner hurt himself on Tuesday: looks like a bad back. Kepu didn't show - he got a cork on Tuesday. Palu, Horne, BKH, Fat Cat all look to be moving well, though I haven't seen a scrum yet as far as Fat Cat is concerned. Still no Vickerman or Mitchell.

Carter is showing a bit of leadership chat on the field.

Spoke to Foley again today, He hadn't heard about the problems the Stormers had at the scrum and tackle.

That is all.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Lee, I can see what you are doing. Building us up with stories of Randwick backline play and then easing us back to reality with reports of butterfingers. Good to hear that Douglas is showing some fire in the belly, this is his make or break year.

Left me wishing I didn't live in Adelaide. Keep the reports coming.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The Tahs PR has started

the terror
NSW Waratahs marquee import Sarel Pretorius settled in Sydney, looking forward to Super Rugby season
426674-sarel-pretorius.jpg

New beginnings ... Pretorius is hoping to fill the big boots of the departed Luke Burgess. Source: News Limited
Four days after Sarel Pretorius was cut from the Springboks' Rugby World Cup squad last year, he sat at Johannesburg airport contemplating the biggest move of his rugby career.
It was early June and the Cheetahs halfback had flown from Bloemfontein with his manager to meet with coaches from an interested province.
Sitting across the table were New South Wales Waratahs officials Michael Foley and Scott Bowen, in transit and about to fly home after the Tahs had lost to the Bulls in Pretoria a night earlier.
"We had lunch with them and then flew back," Pretorius said.
"As a boy in South Africa, you always want to play for the Boks. That's the ultimate dream for us.
Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.
"Around that time I was still in the 52-man squad but after they cut it, I was just thinking, 'oh well maybe I just have to go and try to play (in NSW). Spread my wings a bit."

The Tahs were impressed and a month later Pretorius signed on to be NSW's marquee import, filling a vacancy left by Luke Burgess.
Rugby owes Peter De Villiers much in terms of comedy value, but if Pretorius sets the world alight for NSW this season, Tahs fans might end up whipping around the hat for a thank you gift as well.
It's impossible to know where he would have ended up if Pretorius had made the Boks' World Cup squad but now fate has steered him to Sydney, the 27-year-old is getting on with his stock in trade - seizing opportunity.
Pretorius set the Super Rugby comp alight for the resurgent Cheetahs in 2011 - scoring nine tries with bold attack and blistering pace - but his was one of those overnight success stories many years in the making.
Growing up in in Reitz, a farming town two hours out of Bloemfontein, Pretorius loved rugby and adored Joost Van De Westhuizen like every other kid but as one of three brothers, he only just made the podium for best player in the family.
While Sarel attended a local school, siblings Herman and Leon both won rugby scholarships to the prestigious Grey College in Bloemfontein.
Herman later became the first schoolboy to play South African under 19s. But by the age of 21, Sarel was studying marketing at university and only playing for his varsity team.
"I never really thought I'd play rugby after school at a provincial level or anything," he said.
But Pretorius was no slouch, far from it. And when Stephan Weyers - now his manager - first saw the blond halfback tearing up defences, he sensed "something special" and set about launching his career.
Through Weyers' contacts, Sarel was given a chance with the Falcons in the Vodacom Cup (a competition below Currie Cup) in 2007 but this was a long way from a glamorous life.
The Falcons were based in Brakpan, a "declining" mining town whose claim to fame is smog and the world's biggest mine dump. He and teammates commuted from nearby Pretoria. "It's not a nice place to stay, after the game you just wanted to get in your car and get out," Pretorius laughs.
Against expectations, however, the no-name Falcons beat a Boks-laden Sharks team to win the 2007 Vodacom Cup final. Pretorius was man of the match, was snapped up by Currie Cup side Griquas in 2008 and eventually the Cheetahs came calling in 2009.
Again, however, Pretorius had to sit on the launching pad and wait. Benched for his first year, it was only in 2010 the halfback got game time and last year those regular starts saw him finally explode in Super Rugby. It was a breakthrough season at age 27.
"I took the longer path but at the end of the day it is about when you get an opportunity, what you make of it," Pretorius said. "I was just waiting for my chance and I knew if I got a chance I would take it."
Pretorius first appeared on the Waratahs' radar like a Japanese divebomber when he scored the final try in their infamous loss to the Cheetahs at the SFS last year.
He's kept quiet about it since - "they don't like to talk about it!" - but was excited about the chance to play in Australia when it came up. The pressure of victory being expected, rather than hoped for.
"They have big standards, and have many great Wallaby players. It's always nice to be around to learn from them, and maybe they can learn from me being from South Africa," he said.
Life in Sydney is a lot different to Bloemfontein and Kimberley, but already coastal living at Coogee has won him over. Pretorius has even sourced a stash of biltong and other home treasures from a north shore butcher famous among Saffa expats.
Weekend hunting and fishing trips have been replaced by preparing a nursery for a first baby he and wife Nicola are expecting in late April.

smh
blast from Horne - he's fit, he's healthy and he's keen

Josh Rakic

February 3, 2012

ipad-art-wide-robhorne-420x0.jpg

Australian Wallabies and Waratahs player Rob Horne has warned opponents he's fit and ready for this year's Super Rugby season. Photo: AFP
ROB HORNE has sent an ominous warning to opponents before this year's Super Rugby season, declaring he has vast improvement left in his game after three seasons hampered by injury.
The 22-year-old has almost spent more time in rehab than he has on the field since making his Super Rugby debut in 2008, having played just 33 of a possible 59 games. And in several of those he was injured.
But after having been forced to suffer through quadriceps, hamstring and elbow injuries during the past three seasons, the repeat patient has been out of the rehabilitation ward so far this pre-season and expects to take part in the Tahs' first trial against Samoa in Tamworth next Friday. It's the first time in three seasons that Horne will head into a Super season without an injury cloud over him.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''The body's good and it's nice to start the year healthy and I plan to stay that way,'' he said.
''It's been quite a while since I haven't started the season in the rehab group and it's good, it gives me an opportunity to work on aspects of my game that I haven't been able to in the past.
''I've got so much improvement to make all over the field so it's a really good feeling.
''I've only played 30-odd games throughout my Super career but this year everything's pointing towards a strong involvement.''
The powerful Wallabies and Waratahs outside-centre hopes the worst is behind him after a long break over the Christmas period. ''I'd like to think the elbow and the quaddies are behind me,'' Horne said. ''That's been part of my story to date but I'd like to think I can finally stay healthy. I'm on track for all the trials and round one or whatever the coach decides.
''And I look forward to the day when I just get to speak about the game and how much we won by rather than injuries.''

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
and again the SMH, I would love one of our medicos to get their head around this

Tah was on one knee, now doesn't miss crucial ligament

Josh Rakic

February 3, 2012

ipad-art-wide-tatafu-420x0.jpg

Tough as nails... Waratahs hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau has been playing with a knee injury. Photo: Anthony Johnson
IF YOU thought rugby players weren't tough enough already, you need only look to Waratahs hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, who is playing with a torn posterior cruciate ligament in his left knee - and has done for four seasons.
While many a person has forfeited their tonsils in the name of good health, 26-year-old Polota-Nau bid farewell to the PCL ligament - which joins the posterior of the femur to the tibia - in 2007 and says he has no intention of having it repaired, fearing an operation could do more harm than good to his Super Rugby and international careers.
Polota-Nau was a week-to-week proposition for the Waratahs last year as he struggled to overcome what was thought to be a minor knee injury, just now revealing the full extent of the injury and why his 2011 season was hamstrung.
Advertisement: Story continues below
''Last year I actually tore some of my meniscus [tissue that prevents the tibia and femur bones from rubbing on each other] in my knee and I had to get that operated on, so that combined with the PCL situation wasn't ideal in terms of stability in my knee,'' the Wallabies hooker said.
''With the meniscus repairing, it was more so the fact that I didn't have a PCL in that knee that was hampering me last year. There wasn't much strength.
''So it took longer than usual to get it back into full shape. The knee has come along well. I've just been getting back into the scheme of things at training and going through the normal routine precautions to stop it happening again. But it's 100 per cent right now.''
The PCL is one of four main ligaments in the knee, and the hardest to operate on. And given the remaining three ligaments remain intact to stop the knee from moving out of place, it's possible to continue playing without pain.
''It's not an uncommon injury, and other structures in the knee can provide stability to the joint to enable function adequately,'' Waratahs physio Kieran Cleary said. ''But more diligence at rehab is required to stay on top of things and maintain good muscular control of the joint.''
Former Wallabies flyer Peter Hynes dealt with the same injury before wearing away so much cartilage he was forced to have surgery, and hasn't been the same player since.
Polota-Nau said he had considered surgery on several occasions but was adamant his weakness was now one of his greatest attributes.
''The PCL can tear but you can play without it if you want to, and without it, it just made my knee less stable when the meniscus was torn,'' he said.
''You can get an operation on it but I've decided not to do that. You can function without it, it just means you need to do more rehab around the other muscles.
''For me, it's functioning just like a normal knee, and while it is susceptible to a lot more movement in the knee, it just means I have to be more meticulous on the rehab.
''There's no pain there. It only really becomes an issue when I hurt another part of my knee like the meniscus. But now, I'm back to doing squats and I'm at my playing weight of 113 to 114 kilograms.''
With the meniscus now fully healed and with preventative taping on his left knee to keep it in place, Polota-Nau is adamant he is at his strongest ever this year. And after a Hawaiian adventure aboard a Harley-Davidson, with a frangipani in his hair and floral-print shirt to match, the cheeky Tongan said he was stronger mentally, too.
''Without having to worry about my PCL or meniscus now, I can think about smashing them, the opposition, rather than thinking about my knee,'' said Polota-Nau, who admitted he has battled demons on and off since first tearing the ligament in 2007 and being ruled out of the World Cup.
''It's cleared up my mind. And having a few weeks off, I'm in a great mental state. It's taken me a fair while to get used to the knee but now I know it won't slow me down. I'm ready to rock'n'roll. In fact, I'm ready to sushi roll,'' he finished with a chuckle.
Let's just hope that knee doesn't roll.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/tah-was-on-one-knee-now-doesnt-miss-crucial-ligament-20120202-1qvp5.html#ixzz1lGYbs0gO

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
From my knowledge of orthopaedics (a bit limited, mainly quick tutorials on the golf course with my mate who is a hip and knee surgeon) the PCL can be left unrepaired - the other ligaments indeed provide much more in the way of stability. It does leave the knee more prone to movement, but the ACL is far more important in giving stability when "propping" to turn for instance by stopping the femur sliding forward off the tibia, so to speak. The PCL does the opposite, so is called upon less.
Is that the knee he goes down on for a bit of Sharon time? ;)

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah I tore my PCL last year and got the same advice. No op as it would probably do more harm then good considering the other injuries on my knee. Now just have to keep the rehab up to a slightly different muscle group and wear a knee brace a lot when doing silly things. Stairs and drinking cause some issues.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
From my knowledge of orthopaedics (a bit limited, mainly quick tutorials on the golf course with my mate who is a hip and knee surgeon) the PCL can be left unrepaired - the other ligaments indeed provide much more in the way of stability. It does leave the knee more prone to movement, but the ACL is far more important in giving stability when "propping" to turn for instance by stopping the femur sliding forward off the tibia, so to speak. The PCL does the opposite, so is called upon less.
Is that the knee he goes down on for a bit of Sharon time? ;)

Gives a bit more insight into what Sharon whispers "PCLs are for pussies"

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Based on the terror article above, does that mean Foley knew he would be next Waratah coach in early June last year? The qactual announcement was only made in Aug.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Based on the terror article above, does that mean Foley knew he would be next Waratah coach in early June last year? The qactual announcement was only made in Aug.

Would seem the case, I've mentioned earlier how it appeared on The Code that Foley was acting coach halfway through the season.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Fingers crossed - but he's running fine now. Has a more solid looking physique now than a couple of years ago though he's not as fast.

Sarel Pretorius is looking very sharp, but talk is cheap this time of the year.

Went to Victoria Barracks to see the guys train again today but the ground there was affected by rain and they trained at Kippax, a punt or two away from the Bus Loop area.

Nothing much to report. Not all of the squad was there. The forwards were doing sled races and exhausting themselves. Kepu was back and look unaffected.

Foley looking very bloody fit I must say; as for Gaffney - I'd have him over 40 metres: he's been grazing well.

That is all.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Fingers crossed - but he's running fine now. Has a more solid looking physique now than a couple of years ago though he's not as fast.

Sarel Pretorius is looking very sharp, but talk is cheap this time of the year.

Went to Victoria Barracks to see the guys train again today but the ground there was affected by rain and they trained at Kippax, a punt or two away from the Bus Loop area.

Nothing much to report. Not all of the squad was there. The forwards were doing sled races and exhausting themselves. Kepu was back and look unaffected.

Foley looking very bloody fit I must say; as for Gaffney - I'd have him over 40 metres: he's been grazing well.

That is all.
I've seen you over 40m when the final siren goes at the SFS - believe me, you'd beat most of the squad!

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Based on the terror article above, does that mean Foley knew he would be next Waratah coach in early June last year? The actual announcement was only made in Aug.
He was approached about the head coach job just after the Cheetahs game... just before the first fan forum... he mentioned it (if I'm recalling correctly) at the 2nd fan forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.