• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Lee - Horne certainly does look more robust and I'm sure that he wont mind being a touch slower as a sacrifice for the bulk. I'm tipping a massive season from him.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Lee - You mention Kingston looking good. Is he any chance of being an outside shot at 13, with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15, or in the 22 for that matter. I've really liked the little I've seen of him so far. Also you posts here are more interesting that the rubbish in the papers, keep up the good work.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Foley looking very bloody fit I must say; as for Gaffney - I'd have him over 40 metres: he's been grazing well.
Interesting that one of the training sessions I went to, he was running around with the backs, and looked pretty in shape. I suggested that he would be running at fullback this year, and he insisted that we would need to be in a lot of trouble for him to be out there :p

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I hope you are talking about Foley. Gaffney is no longer a Galloping Green.

Lee - You mention Kingston looking good. Is he any chance of being an outside shot at 13, with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 15, or in the 22 for that matter. I've really liked the little I've seen of him so far.

I like him too: there's a whiff of Little and Horne in him, but Rob will be starting at 13 if fit. If you mean Horne should play 12 and Kingston 13 - only if Carter is injured, or rested. If you want all 3 in the same starting XV, you'd put Kingston on the wing, but only if either Mitchell or Turner are not around. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will be the starting fullback this year IMO. Let's not forget that before the emergence of Beale as a 15 that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) was the best fullback in the country.

Fullback is an area of potential weakness as I don't count Mitchell as real fullback these days, nor even Turner who played there a few times in 2011. Beale may be missed more than we think.

IMO AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is one of the most valuable players in the country. Starting for the Wallabies on the wing (10 times), fullback (21) and outside centre (27), is an uncommon career profile. Outside centre is his best position, and probably his preferred spot, but I think he will be playing fullback for the Tahs. That may not be what Deans wants, but he is not coaching the Waratahs this year.

But after one injury to the players mentioned above, let alone two, all that is whimsy.

W

What2040

IMO AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is one of the most valuable players in the country. Starting for the Wallabies on the wing (10 times), fullback (21) and outside centre (27), is an uncommon career profile. Outside centre is his best position, and probably his preferred spot, but I think he will be playing fullback for the Tahs. That may not be what Deans wants, but he is not coaching the Waratahs this year.

Lee, agree wholeheartedly re AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) - probably a shame for him that he hasn't just locked down a particular spot and made it his own. His real value seems to be his versatility in covering multiple positions

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
You have hit the nail on the head there Lee. Kingston does have the traits of a young Jason Little. I am thinking that with the long season this year and with Test matches mixed in with Super Rugby that Kingston will get a start at some stage. I hope so as I am keen to see more of him.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Aren't the Saffas allowed to play overseas players? Why would it be a problem if Sarel was picked?

If he is playing well enough to be selected, to me, that can only be a positive outcome.

The only negative is the chance of injury and travel triedness

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'd expect to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 a bit this year, as I my faith in Rob Horne remaining fully fit the entire season is sadly low.

The loss of Beale is probably the biggest hole for the Tahs - he was a real spark from the back and created a lot of plays. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a strong and robust player, but don't expect him to produce the same magic from fullback that Beale did. Although AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a great replacement, overall I think the Tahs are weaker for his loss (and Waugh's and Baxter, although leadership aside I think those two will be somewhat ably replaced, and Burgo for Sarel might end up not being too bad).

But there's no way I would write off the Tahs - still a fantastic side on paper, and unlikely to see the same crippling toll this year they are surely in one of the favourites at the start of the year. I'd just like to see another creative back to balance out their strong runners like Horne, Carter, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and elusive runners like Mitchell in the backs.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I'd expect to see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 a bit this year, as I my faith in Rob Horne remaining fully fit the entire season is sadly low.

Alas, it has to be low unless he proves something different. But if he is crocked I would expect Kingston to play 13 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to stay at 15 - all others being healthy.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ye of little faith. Mark my words: Horne will play every match in for the Tahs this year. Spoken

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
And when Horne had a season-ending injury in his first game of the season, 2012 will be known as the year of Swat's Curse (sounds more like an 18th Century venereal disease)

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I think if Horne is injured we will see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) playing 13 with Turner at fullback. Kingston is a bit green to be playing 13 and hasnt had lot of experience playing senior rugby at this position. Probably a bit of a risk to stick him straight in but he could play on the wing if Turner is shifted

Status
Not open for further replies.