• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Could this be Tom Carter's last season? I personally am happy to not look that far ahead. Just hoping Tom has another cracking year!!

My view is that Tom will be playing professional rugby for at least the next three seasons. I also believe his best rugby is in front of him.

Three years ago Todd Louden who coached him in 2008, his initial Super season, said: “Tommy can play both a passing game and a block-busting running game, and is capable of adapting and improving his game to any team play or style. He is constantly reinventing himself around what is best for the team. He is a pleasure to coach as it is like working with a fresh canvas each season.”

I doubt that any other Australian player works harder in the off season. He is sharper and stronger than he has ever been, and is a key member of a very well balanced Waratahs squad.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think if Horne is injured we will see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) playing 13 with Turner at fullback. Kingston is a bit green to be playing 13 and hasnt had lot of experience playing senior rugby at this position. Probably a bit of a risk to stick him straight in but he could play on the wing if Turner is shifted
That could happen Eastman. Last year Turner played fullback when Beale moved to flyhalf because Barnes was injured. Kingston played a couple of games on the wing in that period.

It will depend how Kingston is going between now and a Horne injury. If he's going OK, which I hope is the case, he should slot into 13 which means only one change. The other way there are 3 changes.

He's young but has an old head.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
My view is that Tom will be playing professional rugby for at least the next three seasons. I also believe his best rugby is in front of him.

Three years ago Todd Louden who coached him in 2008, his initial Super season, said: “Tommy can play both a passing game and a block-busting running game, and is capable of adapting and improving his game to any team play or style. He is constantly reinventing himself around what is best for the team. He is a pleasure to coach as it is like working with a fresh canvas each season.”

I doubt that any other Australian player works harder in the off season. He is sharper and stronger than he has ever been, and is a key member of a very well balanced Waratahs squad.

It did read like Tom is looking forward (into the future, not happy) to not playing rugby. Personally I hope not because I actually like his play and would have prefered him in the RWC squad over McCabe. I guess we just have to wait and see. A good season might encourage him to stay.

T

tranquility

I suppose he does get treated like the ugly duckling in most instances, and I can imagine that must wear thin after a while. While I am not his biggest fan by any stretch of the imagination, and am not in the chorus of people pushing him for higher honors I do appreciate the toiling nature of his game and hope he stays around for a lot longer yet.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)

Bruce, slightly off topic but from a atheltic viewpoint when would a player be at the peak of his powers? I know it probably depends on each player but just generally.cheers

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Only in the event of a spontaneous Donnybrook, and of course some post-match earbashing.

Do you like moonshine and banjo jokes? ;)

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Only in the event of a spontaneous Donnybrook, and of course some post-match earbashing.

Do you like moonshine and banjo jokes? ;)

Not really into the moonshine, but if that is what you drink, I'm not going to stop you. I will stick to me Bundy. And as for the banjo..... Will bring my iPod. :D

Reactions: DPK

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned already:

Mining magnate Kevin Maloney to sponsor Waratahs
THE NSW Waratahs are poised to enter a lucrative commercial arrangement with mining magnate Kevin Maloney.
Maloney, who was a strong supporter of the Queensland Reds and Sydney club Southern Districts, is cashed up following the sale of his mining services company The Mac Services Group to US company Oil States International for about $340 million.
While The Mac Services Group is still supporting the Reds, Maloney is no longer sponsoring them.
It is understood the Maloney family's private investment company, Tulla, is set to sponsor the Waratahs for between $300,000 and $400,000.
"We are very close to working an arrangement out with the Tulla Group," Waratahs chief executive Jason Allen said. "We haven't finalised it yet.
"Kevin has been a great supporter of the Waratahs. It will be great to have his support for the next couple of years."

Maloney has emerged as a significant figure in Australian rugby in recent years. He was part of a consortium, VicSuper15, that had the inside running to secure
the Super Rugby licence for Australia's fifth team in Melbourne, but withdrew because the terms of the agreement were unacceptable.
The licence was subsequently secured by a consortium led by media buyer Harold Mitchell.
The Rebels remain Australia's first and only privately owned rugby team.
Maloney then financially supported the Reds, sponsoring head coach Ewen McKenzie and his staff.
It is not an overstatement to say that without Maloney's support, the Reds would probably not have won the Super Rugby title last year.
The ARU is strongly encouraging Australia's four other Super Rugby teams _ the Brumbies, Western Force, Reds and Waratahs _ to seek private ownership.
Asked whether Maloney's financial support of the Waratahs could lead to a private equity
stake in the franchise, Allen said: "That's a hot topic at the moment."

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He's kind of our Nathan Tinkler it seems, I think some were saying in the club forum that he has moved onto pouring the cash at Norths after Souths.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So the Tahs are playing two separate fifteens in the upcoming trial against Samoa in Tamworth.

Team 1: Kepu, TPN, Ryan, Mumm, Douglas, Dennis, Alcock, McCutcheon, Pretorius, Barnes, Kingston, Carter, Horne, Turner, BKH.

Team 2: Tilse, Fitzpatrick, Ulugia, Stanford, Petersen, Metuisela, Lam, Timani, McKibbin, Halangahu, Betham, Foley, Hodge, Trist, Browne. Reserves: Taukeiaho, Winton, J Jenkins, Hart, Leota, Hill

Some very interesting names in there, with a few plucked from clubland- Michael Hodge from Uni, Tom Hill from Gordon, Toby Browne from Randwick etc.

But it is good to see the first XV looking so strong this early in the season. Happy they gave the 7 shirt to Alcock.

Status
Not open for further replies.