• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

spooony

Just hope they taught Sarel Pretorius how to tackle cause he's defense was poor last year

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Only thing that looks interesting is Ulugia at TH. I hope he does well because I was not impressed by Ryan and Tilse's scrummaging for Uni at all, although both have performed soundly for the Tahs before. He could become very handy off the bench if he can perform well at prop.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is being rested for this week. Cliffy and Fatcat will be back next week as well. Where is Pakalani I wonder?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Barnes is captain, which would indicate he will lead the Tahs in the first few games before Elsom comes back.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
a bit more info

Berrick Barnes to lead Waratahs in first trial
February 8, 2012 - 1:21PM

Berrick Barnes will get first crack at captaining the NSW Waratahs in the absence of Rocky Elsom in their opening rugby trial match against Samoa in Tamworth on Friday.

First-choice skipper Elsom is sidelined by a hamstring issue that will keep him out of the opening rounds of the Super Rugby competition and five-eighth Barnes gets an early chance to impress coach Michael Foley as the substitute leader to start the season proper.

He will lead out a powerful first half line-up including six Wallabies and new halfback and 2011 South African Super Rugby player of the year Sarel Pretorius.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Fellow five-eighth Daniel Halangahu will take the captain's armband for the second half when he lead a youthful lineup.

Both teams will play two 30-minute quarters.

"We've chosen this format to try and give most players 60 minutes of rugby to best complement our pre-season training," Foley said.

"Berrick is part of our leadership group and Daniel is one of our senior professionals.

"Both are key decision makers for us and suit what we are trying to achieve."

Wallabies' utility back Adam Ashley-Cooper will make his Waratahs' debut in next week's trial against Tonga.

Elsom apart, other players unavailable for Friday's hitout include winger Drew Mitchell (ankle), No.8 Wycliff Palu (hamstring), prop Benn Robinson (knee), winger Atieli Pakalani (knee) and Dan Vickerman (knee).

Second-rower Sitaleki Timani is unavailable until round two due to Japanese club commitments.

NSW Waratahs first-half team: Brackin Karauria-Henry, Lachie Turner, Rob Horne, Tom Carter, Tom Kingston, Berrick Barnes (c), Sarel Pretorius, Pat McCutcheon, Chris Alcock, Dave Dennis Kane Douglas, Dean Mumm, Paddy Ryan, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Sekope Kepu.

NSW Waratahs second-half team: Toby Browne, Nathan Trist, Michael Hodge, Bernard Foley, Peter Betham, Daniel Halangahu (c), Brendan McKibbin, Lopeti Timani, Seilala Lam, Tevita Metuisela, Greg Peterson, Richard Stanford, John Ulugia, Damien Fitzpatrick, Jeremy Tilse.

Reserves: Lotu Taukeiaho, Liam Winton, Jono Jenkins, Grayson Hart, Jesse Leota, Tom Hill.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...first-trial-20120208-1rbr6.html#ixzz1ll14dK00

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce, slightly off topic but from a atheltic viewpoint when would a player be at the peak of his powers? I know it probably depends on each player but just generally.cheers

This is not a topic, rv, where I would claim any special expertise.

My guess would be that perhaps people reach their speed potential by their early twenties, but for collision sports like rugby they seem not to reach physical maturity before their mid twenties. At what age they could be said to "be at the peak of their powers" would depend on a whole range of factors. With our sport there would be a certain amount of physical degeneration with each season played so that a player who was out injured for a season might have his playing career extended by a year.

We need to recognise that in the professional era players are expected to and do play with injuries that have longer term deleterious impacts on their bodies Against this such players are now better advised on rehabilitation and diet, etc, and this may have the opposite effect. But rehab and regeneration require extended periods away from the grind of training for and playing matches.

This is one reason why I feel that a player like Carter may be yet to reach his playing peak. Because he has been so persistently passed over - not making his Super debut until 2008 and never being picked for Australia A let alone the senior squad - he has had time to reinvent himself each year and he still has the spur of unfulfilled ambition. One of the principal reasons why players top out in my view is not so much their age but rather the fact that they have lost their passion and are simply going around for the money.

From a personal perspective I feel that I went over the crest of the hill at least several years back.

rugbyvet

Chris McKivat (8)
Appreciate the response Bruce, I find it interesting when people talk about age and players. I find it odd that some people are over the hill at 27 yet some play (and play well ) into their mid 30's, but as you said their are many aspects that affect a players "peak"

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Appreciate the response Bruce, I find it interesting when people talk about age and players. I find it odd that some people are over the hill at 27 yet some play (and play well ) into their mid 30's, but as you said their are many aspects that affect a players "peak"

Attitude means a lot, some as Bruce said, seem to lose there mojo and become just "pros" and stop doing the "1%'s" that a younger unit is prepared to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.