• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Noticed there is another Tahs fan forum on November 24, it's good marketing this one, you have to be a member in order to attend.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I dont understand why you think its good marketing - can you explain?
Meanwhile i thought this was very encouraging from Halangahu:
On the field last year I think we were so focused on improving statistics from the year before that we lost focus what game we wanted to play and, without speaking too much, it's looking at our game and making it something that we all enjoy playing, and something that is good to watch.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...f-new-blood-20111106-1n1wc.html#ixzz1cxRmx7H6

If they all recognise this and they believe maybe there will be something to get enthused about.

Barnes puts the boot in:
And the man who finished the year as the first-choice No.10 said the arrival of South African halfback Pretorius would add a new dimension to the Waratahs' game, allowing them to play a faster brand of football.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...f-new-blood-20111106-1n1wc.html#ixzz1cxTyxApQ

Once you're outside the tent you're fair game....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So it starts, the slow beat up of the Waratahs.

I guess it fills some column inches but it would be nice if they just shut up and just said they will do their talking on the field.
Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
In an article in the Australian on Saturday Alan Gafney said he has embraced the strategy of new Waratahs coach Michael Foley, which is based on attacking kicking.

The article says "Influenced by the Queensland Red's success in Super Rugby last season, the Waratahs will attempt to maintain momentum not by holding on to the ball for long periods, but by employing contestable kicking."

Gafney is quoted as saying "There was this penchant last year for holding on to the ball for long periods and while you were controlling the ball, you were not controlling the game necessarily."

Sounds like we'll see a fair bit of Pretorius box kicking and Barnes kicking in behind opposition back lines.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There was plenty of attacking kicking off quick ball this season, sometimes too much

There was the standard play of attacking the blind and chipping over the top to pressure the 15 (that was OK) and the dumb grubber kicks & cross kicks that were over used.

I think if Barnes can stay healthy we will see more field position work and field goals from static ball. The spin it wide crew will moan, but ensuring the wingers are deeper to protect the sideline shortens the defensive line

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Inside shoulder - it's good marketing. Cos in order for you to complain you have to buy a membership.

Fat prop - r u serious you would prefer to see them not talk and not get column inches?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Inside shoulder - it's good marketing. Cos in order for you to complain you have to buy a membership.

Fat prop - r u serious you would prefer to see them not talk and not get column inches?

I would prefer to see them do their talking on the field than every year talk about how next season will be better

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Full credit to the Tahs for trying new things. In all due respect it comes across as egg before the chicken stuff. Hold the fan forum but here is my suggestion. Hold a fan day with the whole works. Junior coaching clinics, meet the players, autogragh signing and a sausage sizzle. At the end of the day hold the fan forum with all welcome to attend. encourage the purchase of memberships rather than just reward those who do. The biggest problem seems to be the dis-attachment between the organisation and the fanbase. Holding the fan day just before the forum will go a long way to bringing both groups closer and the forum would be far more constructive as a result.

With that said, congratulations to the Tahs for having a go and trying new things.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Full credit to the Tahs for trying new things. In all due respect it comes across as egg before the chicken stuff. Hold the fan forum but here is my suggestion. Hold a fan day with the whole works. Junior coaching clinics, meet the players, autogragh signing and a sausage sizzle. At the end of the day hold the fan forum with all welcome to attend. encourage the purchase of memberships rather than just reward those who do. The biggest problem seems to be the dis-attachment between the organisation and the fanbase. Holding the fan day just before the forum will go a long way to bringing both groups closer and the forum would be far more constructive as a result.

With that said, congratulations to the Tahs for having a go and trying new things.

They have a full let of things up on there website under "community connection" there is a couple of full fan days, school coahing clinics, the forum and even a "drinks with the team" night out that can only lead to gold.

There putting on a lot more effort this year. Good to see.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Count me in. My credentials include years of hard drinking... and I won the last boat race I was in....

Status
Not open for further replies.