• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
All he has to do is less lazy flops

Ryan has shown him up all over the park this season so i think he is going to need more improvement than that to get his starting spot back. Good signing as others have said but well off the pace at the moment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The tahs should not need to bring established wallabies into the squad. There might be an argument for Beale, but to bring in guys like Tapuai etc is a step in the wrong direction.

Take the money saved on Barnes, Palu et al. and spend it on developing talent from sydney.

How so?

You have a set salary cap to spend on your squad of 35 players (presumably this will go up one or two players next year).

Their will be plenty of recruitment of local talent as well. There will be lots of spaces in the squad next year. Why would you pay them above the odds for young players just because you have less star players on your roster?

The reality of the situation when you have a couple of stars and a lot of young, cheap players is that the star players end up demanding ridiculous contracts on the basis that they know that most of the squad isn't being paid a whole lot and there is plenty of room under the salary cap and they are in the best position to demand it because they're amongst the few genuine stars in the team.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Early in Michael Jordan's career at the Bulls he was a standout player but the Bulls weren't that successful. Their game plan centred on giving the ball to Jordan and letting him do his thing. He'd score a bucket of points but they didn't succeed as a team. Teams started to mark him up with 2-3 players but the other Bulls players weren't in position to capitalise on the space.
In around 1989 they brought in a new offence structure. Occasionally it worked but when the pressure was on the players would revert back to old habits? Sound familiar?

According to Jordan it took the team 18months to really adopt the new style and for it to become the new habit. As we all know the Bulls went on to win the NBA Championship in 1991, 1992 & 1993 and then in 1996, 1997 & 1998 when Jordan returned.

Moral of the story, hang in there Tahs. Cheika's plan will come to fruition.

All we need now is our Michael Jordan. He is currently out with a broken hand and residing in Melbourne.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
All we need now is our Michael Jordan. He is currently out with a broken hand and residing in Melbourne.

No doubt Beale would be an addition to the current Tahs roster. However, rugby is a very, very different game to basketball: without the other fourteen players doing their stuff, even a Michael Jordan (which Beale is most emphatically not, by the way) would struggle.

One star can make a huge difference in basketball. One star, in rugby, is one out of fifteen.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
No doubt Beale would be an addition to the current Tahs roster. However, rugby is a very, very different game to basketball: without the other fourteen players doing their stuff, even a Michael Jordan (which Beale is most emphatically not, by the way) would struggle.

One star can make a huge difference in basketball. One star, in rugby, is one out of fifteen.
I now know 1 thing about basketball.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Before Kurtley headed off to the Rebels, the Tahs relied too much on him. In the back line he was thrown the ball and we all hoped he would pull off a miracle. That's the link to Jordan and the Bulls pre-1991. I don't think anyone in Rugby is a Rugby version of MJ, but I can see my original post suggested that.

Yes, Rugby and Basketball are very different sports, but the Bulls were successful during the 1990s because their starting side was excellent, they didn't rely on MJ, everyone of them played their part. That's what Cheika is bringing. Everyone must play their part. We're not relying on a 10 man rugby kicking game, we're using all 15 players.

Anyway I didn't want to draw too many parallels between the Bulls and Tahs. I was just pointing out that change, even for the greatest can take time, but in the end it pays dividends, so keep going Tahs.

But yes, I'd like Kurtley back as well.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I don't know much. But I have watched a few games locally, one of my buddies is a fan. One thing for sure, basketball players tend to be huge, and some of them should be playing our game.
I agree, but the AFL is busy pinching them and is why our basketball fortunes have fallen dramatically.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
DB, your memory of Macqueen's involvement may've been alluding to his stint as coach of New South Wales in 1991. That was a particularly good year for NSW rugby, they toured Argentina and New Zealand early that winter, drew one game and won the rest. AND THEY BEAT THOSE MONGRELS FROM NORTH OF THE TWEED 2 FROM 2, Macqueen's teams didn't lose a match that year. There's no doubt the polish Rod put on the blue boys contributed mightily to Dwyer's success later at the RWC.

But credit where credit's due: Dwyer brought Horan (and Little) and Kearns into the Oz team, and he put the Randwick front row together for the Wallabies. Egerton played in Macqueen's touring side as a winger (he played fullback for Sydney Uni) as Roebuck was the incumbent 15. Dwyer liked what he saw and gave him a run against England and the ABs in the June tests. I was front row of the upper stand at the SFS and cheered for that magnificent try he scored against the ABs, left Kirwan grasping thin air.

Don't forget that the Tahs under Macqueen flogged a certain northern hemisphere national side on their down under tour.

What I remember about Australian Rugby at the time is that although the Tahs beat the Reds in the State of the Union matches as they were known both sides were wonderfully balanced and selected. Both sides had wonderfully skilled individuals who executed those skills. Just look at a few of the names

1. Daley 1. Crowley
2. Kearns
3. McKenzie
4. Waugh 4. McCall
5. 5. Eales
6. Ofahengaue
7. Poidevin
8. Brial 8. Coker
9. NFJ 9. Slatery
10. Knox 10. Lynagh
12. Tombs 12. Horan
13. Burke Snr 13. Little
11. Campo 11. Carozza
14. Egerton/Murdoch 14. Barry Lee (might have been '91 or '94 I can't remember but he had great skills and blinding acceleration)
15. Roebuck

I see plenty of players with the potential to be as good as those named, but very few who actually execute their basic skills at anywhere near the level that those named did consistently.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was a bit hesitant about putting Foley forward as 12. Although he plays fullback as well, I am not sure about his defensive capabilities at 12.

Deans favoured the second playmaker at fullback, when he used Panadol to come into the backline and set up plays. That may be a good reason to use a different approach!
Panadol?
Who and why?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was a bit hesitant about putting Foley forward as 12. Although he plays fullback as well, I am not sure about his defensive capabilities at 12.

Deans favoured the second playmaker at fullback, when he used Panadol to come into the backline and set up plays. That may be a good reason to use a different approach!

You need two playmakers, whether they play 10 & 12 or 10 & 15 or 9 & 10, two playmakers allows a 10 to attack the line more as the other ball playing option can step in and leverage any opportunity; or play right/left

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It's Archie's Dad, but as the Self Appointed but Cyclo Endorsed Gaggerland Under-Secretary for Twee Nicknames, I approve of "Panadol" as an alternative to "Sook Face" or "Archie's Dad" for BB (Berrick Barnes).

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
We had a thread along those lines a year or two back but that was closed down to be replaced by a rugby wiki entry, which seems to have disappeared into the ether somewhere.

Perhaps time to resurrect the listing for the benefit of the recent Gaggerland arrivals?

Mods. Is it time to resurrect a Nickname thread, or just implement a ban on tweeness?

Status
Not open for further replies.