• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
JSRF10 his head is buried in the sand! I also have a laugh when they were asking the Force players how they were going & their replies about Foley. Ah well.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Foley does look like an accountant trying to coach a rugby team.

Lots of numbers, process and analysis, but very little passion and fun

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Foley does look like an accountant trying to coach a rugby team.

Lots of numbers, process and analysis, but very little passion and fun

Pfft. What a load of crap.

If I was coaching the team, my angle as an accountant would be to tell them how poor and jobless they're all going to be if they don't start executing skills, supporting their runners and getting their best attacking player, Alfie Mafi involved more.

You're thinking of an economist :D

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Question: who would play 10 is Foley gets injured? Volavola? Or is there some other option I am missing?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Question: who would play 10 is Foley gets injured? Volavola? Or is there some other option I am missing?

Until Barnes is fit, it would be Volavola.

Presumably we're still looking at another month before Barnes is ready.

Considering he had hand surgery, you'd hope he's doing a ton of running at the moment.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
2nd game in a row Volavola hasn't been used off the bench. Cheika blaming him for the Cheetahs loss?

Good to see Holloway get on for his debut, although only on for a couple of mins I think it was his first run that he ran over someone.

I really can't see where Barnes fits in. Certainly not 10 with Foley's form. Obviously him and Horne are completely different types of 12s but I much prefer Horne to a kick happy Barnes. Not 15 with Folau. I'd also prefer someone with spark like Volavola coming off the bench.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Not sure if he is getting blamed for the Cheetahs loss, just perhaps Foley and Folau (and the majority of the outside backs) have both had two very good games in the last couple of weeks. Given McKibben had gone off and Lucas hasn't place kicked at S15 level wouldn't have made much sense taking Foley off against the Blues.

Although in saying that, Cheika mightn't fancy him coming off the bench in squeaker. He mightn't have shown him he has what it takes to close out a tight game. Some of his decision making under pressure in Canberra was pretty poor to say the least. I'd agree that I'd prefer him over Barnes on the bench he gives more of an impact off the bench, however they could both be on the bench given that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Folau can cover wing if necessary.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
It was the kurtley question in the other thread that got me thinking about depth at 10. We are going to need someone for next year bcause Volavola isnt enough depth for me, presuming Barnes is off.

Back to this season, I would start Barnes at 15 when fit, moving Folau to the wing (probably for bethan). Barnes' kicking will help us more in games in NZ and SA.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Someone we've never heard of atm will pop up from u20s or Shute Shield, although I've liked what I've seen of David Horwitz so far, he should be the u20s flyhalf so we'll see from there.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Agree re Hart who on many occassions looked average in SS last year . Also agree that Stirzaker a better bet than Phipps. Burgess however, better than all 3 - looks like Lucas made the right call coming to Waratahs then.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good to see Holloway get on for his debut, although only on for a couple of mins I think it was his first run that he ran over someone.

Yeah, it was an important carry in our own 22 late in the game and he made the ad line by running over someone. Gave us good secure ball too. He'll certainly gain confidence from that little cameo.

Someone we've never heard of atm will pop up from u20s or Shute Shield, although I've liked what I've seen of David Horwitz so far, he should be the u20s flyhalf so we'll see from there.

Yeah, my EPS next year would be Holloway, Skelton (current EPS), David Horwitz, Hugh Roach, Waldo Wessels.

This is assuming that Volavola and Lucas get upgraded to full contracts and Luke Holmes goes elsewhere.

Of course Holloway could push himself up to a full contract if he gets more opportunities and pushes his way ahead of Peterson and Atkins (I am pretty sure Atkins was only signed for one year and Peterson is definitely off contract at the end of the year).

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I'm not surprised Volavola has stayed on the bench. The starters launched the comeback against the Blues and then it became an arm wrestle against the Force. I think it says a lot more about the dynamics of each game than about Volavola.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yeah, it was an important carry in our own 22 late in the game and he made the ad line by running over someone. Gave us good secure ball too. He'll certainly gain confidence from that little cameo.

Yeah, my EPS next year would be Holloway, Skelton (current EPS), David Horwitz, Hugh Roach, Waldo Wessels.

./..snip../.

I thought Roach was signed to the Ponies or Ponies Academy.
Was it a 2 year deal? IIRC next year will be the third since he left NEW.

We certainly need a 2 who can accurately and reliably throw the Gilbert at lineout time.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought Roach was signed to the Ponies or Ponies Academy.
Was it a 2 year deal? IIRC next year will be the third since he left NEW.

We certainly need a 2 who can accurately and reliably throw the Gilbert at lineout time.

He's currently playing for the Sydney based National Academy side in the Pacific Nations Cup. I don't believe he is contracted anywhere.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Unfortunately this is the mindset of Foley. Perhaps Hickey and Foley actually convinced themselves that mountains of meaningless statistics prove something.
No, they are trying to convince you, that these stats mean something
Just as sales guys only comment on market conditions when they fail to hit their numbers.
How often do we get stats from Foles when he wins? None, because he does not need to.
Many mediocre salesmen do their best work selling themselves to their bosses rather than actually doing what they are paid for.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)

Wessels, Roach and Horwitz will have to prove themselves in grade before any EPS talk. Skelton and Holloway won't be available for EPS spots next season seeing as it is only a one year contract possible upgrades.

EPS opportunities

Lock - Cover for Peterson and Atkins if not back. Likewise if S.Timani leaves our shores

Op. Flanker - Cover for Hooper and McCutcheon providing he is resigned

Other options will unfold as Chieka resigns players from this seasons squad.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Wessels, Roach and Horwitz will have to prove themselves in grade before any EPS talk.

Op. Flanker - Cover for Hooper and McCutcheon providing he is resigned

Other options will unfold as Chieka resigns players from this seasons squad.

If the Tahs consider any out of Wessels, Roach and Horwitz as being potential stars of the future then I think they should snap them up. It would be all well and good making them prove themselves in grade first but the reality is that if you wait, other franchises are likely to sign them.

Hooper and McCutcheon are both signed for 2014 or longer already.

I take your point regarding players only being eligible for EPS for one year. It does appear to be the case.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm sure there is a way to spin this to show how the Waratahs hate Shute Shield and community rugby but I'm not quite there yet.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-union/uni...tch-on-shield-as-a-feeder-20130402-2h56a.html

This is an easy one Richo. Quite simply, the Waratahs will cherry pick the best talent from the Shute Shield and will therefore weaken the comp. It is quite a cunning strategy; thumbing their nose at the rugby community in Sydney by taking all the top talent out of it for their own devious purposes! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.