• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Why would anyone agree to empower an interim coach to appoint anyone to a long term role?
Absolutely ridiculous: either the position is meaningless, in which case why have it? or it means something in which case the permanent head coach needs to have the say on who gets appointed to what.
The dysfunction continues!

dysfunction? meh

You have to give any interim manager/coach the power to keep moving the team forward and the power to implement and make decisions

If the new head coach decides to change it, he can, but it is better the change a decision than make no decisions

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
McCutcheon, who was sidelined by injury for much of the year, has been appointed to a new club captain position, an off-field role for the Waratahs,
I'm enthused. In fact I'm about as obviously enthused as a Gold medal winning oarsman on the pontoon deck.

Harbourside City is back in business. We've appointed a club captain which admittedly, as the press release stated, is "an off-field role". As Lao-tsu sagely observed two-and-a-half millenia ago, "A journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step." That's actually quite a close analogy, particularly since our media-savvy CEO, Jason Allen, has delegated his strategic decision making to Foxtel via Kearnsey and Kafe.

But we've taken that first faltering step and hopefully there'll be so many more to come that we'll actually be ready to put a team on the paddock next season.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Pat McCutcheon has been appointed captain of attending primary schools.

I wouldn't read too much into it.
That only makes it worse - I'm not reading anything into it because i accept it is an unimportant position: its the appearance it gives of a ship limping by on emergency steering deciding to take a scenic detour while attempting to fix the problem.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The players put their heads down, arse up, accept the decision and get on with it. As they should.
and what is it that they are getting on with?
i dont know whether we should be optimistic that this ship has stopped leaking since we (me at least) have heard nothing of who has been approached - or worried that no one has been approached.
I am tempted to read into this minor appointment the chance that Gaffney has been given a nod and a wink.
At least you won't be hearing from me until March on that subject if he has been: I have no views on the man.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I have, he was part of the clusterfuck this year.
So he should be careful that the door doesn't smack him on the arse on his way out the door.
It's got to be a clean start for the new guy.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That only makes it worse - I'm not reading anything into it because i accept it is an unimportant position: its the appearance it gives of a ship limping by on emergency steering deciding to take a scenic detour while attempting to fix the problem.

Clearly the offseason is when the players complete a lot of their non-rugby commitments such as visiting primary schools.

During the season it is mostly the injured players who do this (during 2012 Drew Mitchell did a huge amount of this).

Why would the fact that there is a lot of turmoil within the Waratahs mean that continuing to complete these commitments is taking a scenic detour?

Do they need a new coach, chairman and manager to organise a bunch of players to go and talk to primary school kids about rugby?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
A strong argument could be made that the Waratahs desperately need to do anything they can to reconnect with the community. Sitting on their asses and waiting for new bosses isn't going to help that.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Do they need a new coach, chairman and manager to organise a bunch of players to go and talk to primary school kids about rugby?

I didnt say "organising" i said "deciding to take" - i would not use the word organising in a tahs thread.
Thats not the point - the point is "the appearance it gives": the appearance is that it matters not who the head coach will be - he or she will just have to put up with whatever the prevailing position is.
The appearance they should be trying to convey is that the new coach is going to have the right to hire and fire anyone from boot boy to assistant coach.
Besides which, Al Baxter should have come out and said the following (assuming this appointment was such a pressing issue):
"We at the Tahs take our community responsibilities very seriously. The role of Captain of Attending Primary Schools is an important one: this is the player who is responsible for (god knows what) organising the other players to attend the primary schools in NSW with a view to inspiring boys and girls of all ages to take up rugby in 2013. Given the importance of the role it has been decided that the captain should only be appointed in consultation with the new head coach (god knows who that will be or when he/she will be named). In the meantime the players are working with one another to make sure that there is no drop off in attendances at community events, including schools, while the search for our new coach goes on."

Now if he had said that or something like that i think we would all have said: F***, maybe the Tahs are getting their shit together.

There's no suggestion of sitting on arses: the suggestion is lets make some more chiefs and forget the need for indians.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The more worrying thingistheend of the article. Jason Allen said last week he had spoken to several coaching candidates, the article suggests that the committee to appoint a new coach hasn't been finalized. Being that Jason Allen doesn't have a rugby background or brain. Surely we can get someone else to work the phones until we can form a committee.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The more worrying thingistheend of the article. Jason Allen said last week he had spoken to several coaching candidates, the article suggests that the committee to appoint a new coach hasn't been finalized. Being that Jason Allen doesn't have a rugby background or brain. Surely we can get someone else to work the phones until we can form a committee.

Alan Moffat for coach - you guys are probably all too young

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
After the rugby club and Phil Kearns declaration that he is not and never has been on the selection committee for the new Tahs coach are those who questioned his morals, ethics and loyalties happy to apologize here or should we be starting a separate thread for it?
WJ, this isn't directed at me I know because I never questioned any of those, but he remains in a conflict of interest even if he is only telling them what type of muffins to get for morning tea. In 2013 under the inside shoulder plan there would only be one stale muffin per day between the whole organization, in case you're wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
WJ, this isn't directed at me I know because I never questioned any of those, but he remains in a conflict of interest even if he is only telling them what type of muffins to get for morning tea. In 2013 under the inside shoulder plan there would only be one stale muffin per day between the whole organization, in case you're wondering.

Make it a brussel sprout muffin, then you don't have to wait for it to get stale. Also, with a stale muffin, there is still some risk of a desparate enough person eating it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The biggest conflict of interest for 2013 is that Greg Growden is the Sydney rugby journalist and the Waratahs now have a meat pie maker as one of their sponsors.

Personally I think it's a great move by the Tahs and they can hopefully finally get some positive press out of Growden on the promise of some delicious golden pastry with a meat and gravy filling.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The biggest conflict of interest for 2013 is that Greg Growden is the Sydney rugby Gossip Columnist and the Waratahs now have a meat pie maker as one of their sponsors.

Personally I think it's a great move by the Tahs and they can hopefully finally get some positive press out of Growden on the promise of some delicious golden pastry with a meat and gravy filling.

Fixed.

I reckon Gurmbles really likes the mushy peas variety a la Harry's Cafe de Wheels, although any meat and gravy filled pastry within a 5 metre radius of the aforementioned gossip columnist is vulnerable to digestion.

Reactions: BPC

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Andrew Bolt is also a journalist. The term doesn't actually imply any level of skill, ability or human decency.

The fact we're talking about both Growden and Bolt right now does imply skill. The skill of being topical.

Positivity doesn't grab eyes the way negativity does, reading any article from the rugby hating rugby media will tell you that.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
After the rugby club and Phil Kearns declaration that he is not and never has been on the selection committee for the new Tahs coach are those who questioned his morals, ethics and loyalties happy to apologize here or should we be starting a separate thread for it?
It's a big leap from saying he has a conflict in interest, to questioning his morals ethics and loyalties.

I'm sorry for stating he was in conflict by sitting on a selection panel.
What I should have said was that he is in conflict by sitting on "a sort of committee advising or acting as a sounding board to the coaching staff" then commenting on the performances of said coaching staff, and their suitability to continue in their role, without disclosure.

Status
Not open for further replies.