• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
OK ...

So the squad for next season, what have I missed?

Paddy Ryan
Sekope Kepu
Benn Robinson
Jeremy Tilse

John Ulugia
Tatafu Polota Nau
Damien Fitzpatrick
Luke Holmes

Sitaleki Timani
Will Skelton
Kane Douglas
Ollie Atkins
Mitchell Chapman ??
Jed Holloway
Greg Peterson ??

Dave Dennis
Michael Hooper
Pat McCutcheon
Wycliff Palu
Lopeti Timani
Talalelei Gray

Matt Lucas
Brendan McKibbin
Grayson Hart
Nic Phipps

Bernard Foley
Ben Volavola

Jono Lance
Berrick Barnes
Adam Ashley-Cooper

Rob Horne
Tom Carter

Peter Betham
Lachie Turner
Michael Hodge ??
Tom Kingston
Drew Mitchell

Israel Folau
Cam Crawford
Has anyone confirmed that Lachie Turner has been re-signed? These past two years haven't been good for him.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So what do we need?

A decent kicker (does Cam Crawford kick? I'm sure he'd be great if he did). Another hooker (Ulugia was a very good back up, but I imagine he'll be paid much better in France that what is on offer, so good luck to him)

If Beale does come back, I'd really prefer he started out as the back up 10/12, but this is all a big if.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Foley, Beale and McKibbin all need to desperately work on their kicking.

You'd imagine that those three will share the kicking duties because there are unlikely to be any other candidates.

Whilst we won a couple of games on the strength of late goals this season we also lost three games (Crusaders, Rebels and Reds) and would have made the finals with a more reliable goal kicker.

Finding another hooker is crucial. The case for Hugh Roach to get at least an EPS spot is very strong now but I really wouldn't feel comfortable starting the season with Luke Holmes as the second string hooker and Roach as the third.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Could someone explain to me how the players coming to the Tahs in 2014 address the issues that remain from 2013?
I think we're marching sideways but I dont claim to be on top of the abilities of all those likely to be playing in the side next year.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I find it fascinating that Jono Lance signed with the Tahs for next season.

He is a guy coming into the prime of his career who was pretty much a nailed on starter at the reds. There is a bit of full back talent coming through the system in QLD but no one that will be ready to play super rugby until 2015.

At the tahs he will have much more competition for a starting spot. And when everyone is fit he is effectively injury cover.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Bowside, I think you are right on the money re the Tahs move but he hasn't really nailed that spot at the Reds - think he is seen as a great cover for several spots, probably the same as Ben Lucas

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Could someone explain to me how the players coming to the Tahs in 2014 address the issues that remain from 2013?
I think we're marching sideways but I dont claim to be on top of the abilities of all those likely to be playing in the side next year.

The first question is the abilities of the recruits. I don't know about Talalelei Grey, but I hope he is a replacement for Palu. Phipps is not a huge improvement on the incumbents. Jono Lance - what positions does he play? What are his kicking abilities? There are probably guys around who could tell us.

The other thing is that many of the problems that need addressing are a question of training, so I presume (hope) Cheika is addressing them.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Robinson
2. Polota-Nau
3. Kepu
4. Douglas
5. Skelton
6. Dennis
7. Hooper
8. Palu
9. Phipps
10. Foley
11. Crawford
12. Horne
13. Ashley-Cooper
14. Folau
15. Beale

16. Roach?
17. Tilse?
18. Ryan
19. Atkins/Holloway?
20. Gray
21. Lucas
22. Lance
23. Betham

We need a hooker, loosehead prop (time to cut Tilse and give someone else a shot?) and a lock (not impressed by Atkins and Peterson hasn't done anything).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
SMH (in the app version) is reporting that Benji is not driven by money:
"he will likely join either the Auckland Blues or the NSW Waratahs. He could not be accused of greed – he would earn more by staying where he is."
So the ARU top up may well not be a factor at all.
He has also said, however, that growing up his dream was to play for the ABs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

McCutcheon? (If he's staying)
^ Too small,

I think Cheika's recruitment will be really interesting, with the two bench prop rule Tilse will be important

Turner may also be handy as 13 cover and cheap for a season

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
We need a hooker, loosehead prop (time to cut Tilse and give someone else a shot?) and a lock (not impressed by Atkins and Peterson hasn't done anything).

Atkins is a solid unit, he looked good against the Lions and does the grunt work (tackling and pushing and stuff)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The first question is the abilities of the recruits. I don't know about Talalelei Grey, but I hope he is a replacement for Palu. Phipps is not a huge improvement on the incumbents. Jono Lance - what positions does he play? What are his kicking abilities? There are probably guys around who could tell us.

The other thing is that many of the problems that need addressing are a question of training, so I presume (hope) Cheika is addressing them.

I haven't seen Tala Grey play much in the last couple of years in France but I am an Easts fan and watched him play many times for Easts. I assume he's improved a fair bit since then (he was only quite young) and I think he'll be a solid player for the Tahs. Currently I'd think he's more likely to be a bench player initially but he should be in the matchday 23. I think he's a good recruit. He's pretty physical and should cover 6 and 8 well.

I think Phipps is going to be a key signing for the Tahs. I think he will be a significant improvement on McKibbin and arguably halfback is about the Tahs weakest position.

Jono Lance is a good rugby player who definitely fits the mold of a utility player at this point.

Overall I think Cheika's recruitment is focusing on players he considers to be good rugby players who are strong defenders, ball runners and have good skills. I figure he's looking for players that have the basic template for what he's looking for in a rugby player and plenty of room for Cheika to train to play the way he wants them to.

He wants guys that are keen to sign up to the way he does things and play the way he wants.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
http://www.fijisun.com.fj/2013/05/30/nsw-waratahs-target-taqele/

NSW Waratahs target Taqele
May 30, 2013 | Filed under: Fiji Sports | Posted by: newsroom
Taqele Naiyaravaro
Taqele Naiyaravaro
By VUNIWAQA
BOLA-BARI

An Australian Super 15 rugby club is now eyeing another Fijian youngster to join them next season.
If all goes well, another switch could be seen next season with Yasawa lad Taqele Naiyaravaro making the switch from the Wests Tigers to the New South Wales Waratahs.

Status
Not open for further replies.