• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If none of the 16 Mungo clubs want to risk $50k or even $20k,why should the Tahs?If they all pass on him, there are good reasons.It's not like he would have slipped under their guard,is it?
I am a big believer that a good league player will be a good Rugby player.
I am a strong believer that an ordinary league player will be an ordinary rugby player.

He would be being paid at least $50k by the Wests Tigers even though he isn't playing in the NRL. He's still part of their squad.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Usaia O'Sullivan's return to rugby is interesting: Newtown Jets in June followed by West Harbour Pirates in July and a trip to Argentina in August with NSW Rugby. I wonder if he's been headhunted by Cheika as potential replacement/cover for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). Ashley Two-Dads isn't getting any younger and is prone to injury (is he carrying one ATM?) but, more importantly, every Super squad needs at least two quality players for every position, three for hookers and halves. And succession planning has to come into it, this is where UOS could feature in the Tahs' future plans.

I wish him well, he's a helluva nice young bloke and I was sorry to see him go over to the dark side in 2010. Wonder if he can play for the Pirates in this year's finals series? Thought not. :(

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Usaia O'Sullivan

Mate, that is a fucking awesome name. First name as Fijian as they come and second name as Irish as they come.

As a fellow man with a weird cross-nationality name, I salute him!

I am a strong believer that an ordinary league player will be an ordinary rugby player.

You're right when we're looking at people with a long professional history but we're looking at a 20yo.

I think the cut-off most professional coaches use (and this is out of the horses mouth) if he's not playing good footy by the start of his 23-26yo bracket (the period a player is most valuable) he's not going to be any good.

Of course, there are players who are exceptions and coaches that don't agree with that generally excepted theory.

Never heard of Hart or Atkins (sydney boys?)

Atkins is a NSW raised player that Tas Rugby likes to claim because he was born there. Decent enough player and a genuine lock. Had a great cameo game at the end of last season for the Force that excited those that like tight forward play but he hasn't been great this year, you'd hope the Rebels would pick him up to replace King or maybe the Force because they have an existing relationship.

Hart was in and out of the starting 9 jersey in 2012 and was decent. He's Auckland raised but Aussie qualified. He'd be a handy 3rd stringer for any of the two smaller Super rugby sides (the Force should be especially looking) but he owes Aus rugby nothing so he might piss off to Europe and nobody can begrudge him that.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
so there seems to be quite a few places up for grabs next year, would anyone want to nominate people from their club theyd like to see maybe train with the tahs over the summer with the hope of getting a esp or full contract?

for souths id like to see

ro saifoloi
dewet roos
waldo wessels
apo latunipulu
luke smart (bit of a smokey)

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
so there seems to be quite a few places up for grabs next year, would anyone want to nominate people from their club theyd like to see maybe train with the tahs over the summer with the hope of getting a esp or full contract?

for souths id like to see

ro saifoloi
dewet roos
waldo wessels
apo latunipulu
luke smart (bit of a smokey)
Is Dewet Roos still playing in Europe?

latrell247

Chris McKivat (8)
Mate, that is a fucking awesome name. First name as Fijian as they come and second name as Irish as they come.

As a fellow man with a weird cross-nationality name, I salute him!

You're right when we're looking at people with a long professional history but we're looking at a 20yo.

I think the cut-off most professional coaches use (and this is out of the horses mouth) if he's not playing good footy by the start of his 23-26yo bracket (the period a player is most valuable) he's not going to be any good.

Of course, there are players who are exceptions and coaches that don't agree with that generally excepted theory.

Atkins is a NSW raised player that Tas Rugby likes to claim because he was born there. Decent enough player and a genuine lock. Had a great cameo game at the end of last season for the Force that excited those that like tight forward play but he hasn't been great this year, you'd hope the Rebels would pick him up to replace King or maybe the Force because they have an existing relationship.

Hart was in and out of the starting 9 jersey in 2012 and was decent. He's Auckland raised but Aussie qualified. He'd be a handy 3rd stringer for any of the two smaller Super rugby sides (the Force should be especially looking) but he owes Aus rugby nothing so he might piss off to Europe and nobody can begrudge him that.
Peter Hewat debuted for the Waratahs at 27 years of age and never looked out of place. That's the issue with Australian Rugby, always looking at the young up and coming prospects, which is good, but what about the hard working blokes who are fully developed, playing well and overdue for a crack at the top level.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
.^^^ ..and there are people who complain about Sir Richie GOAT playing for the Crusaders in the Semis even though he was listed in the 'Saders Squad list at the start of the year.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
.^^^ ..and there are people who complain about Sir Richie GOAT playing for the Crusaders in the Semis even though he was listed in the 'Saders Squad list at the start of the year.

He had a pro contract overseas which has ended so his come back to his team to play. No different than tahs players coming back from Super rugby

whats your problem?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
A similar story surfaced a couple of weeks ago. I doubt that they'd be able to vote this in this year let alone in a few weeks. It could be a factor when Izzys contract is next up for renewal, but if his form in the next few years is anything like this season there will be some French and Japanese clubs who'll pay double or treble what the NRL will anyway.

T

TOCC

Izzy sat beside the NRL Director of Football at the State Of Origin, this is the man appointed to the run the professional arm of the game....

Izzy is as good as gone

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Izzy sat beside the NRL Director of Football at the State Of Origin, this is the man appointed to the run the professional arm of the game..

Izzy is as good as gone

According to a News Ltd article, he was there as an "ambassador" for ANZ stadium, also with the boss of the Bulldogs. Same article said he was as good as lost to rugby.

EDIT: By which I meant the article said he would likely re-sign with the Tahs.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
believe_2014_1.jpg
Good Ole NSWRU marketing guys still on fire

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is worth listening to this weeks interview with Cheika on the podcast, he explains a pretty exciting process for the younglings and club rugby

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Any word on Izzy's signature? The last gossip was that there would be an announcement two or three weeks after the Lions Test.

The mungos in the SMH are getting nervous and still seem to think that Greco-Roman Rugby may have a chance of snagging his signature.

Status
Not open for further replies.