• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Has anyone seen much of his play?

He looks anything but a super rugby player.

It depends, big THPs who can actually hold up a scrum are going to be much more important under the new rules and there hasn't been a super match under those rules yet

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

It depends, big THPs who can actually hold up a scrum are going to be much more important under the new rules and there hasn't been a super match under those rules yet

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Its one thing to carry extra weight for sheer mass in the scrum, but if that extra weight is fatiguing him to the point where he can only perform at 60% of his potential when he reaches the scrum then is it really worth it?

The bloke definitely has question marks hanging over his fitness after its been a reasons for dismissal from his previous clubs. Ive watched some of his highlights and there are some impressive ones out there, but he does look about 20kg lighter in this videos.

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
Has anyone seen much of his play?

He looks anything but a super rugby player.

Gaining useless size seems to be a real problem with props going over to the top 14...part of what killed rodzilla's career. However there is still plenty of time for him to cut down to a good weight. It will all just depend on how much he wants it!

On another note can anyone tell me the name of the young Tongan lad who was a raw behemoth playing colts for Sydney Uni before heading over to France. I think it was Edward something???

Zander

Ron Walden (29)
Edwin Maka played 3rd colts and some 2nds for West Harbour. Amazingly that same year he played for Toulouse. Just incredible.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Thanks for posting that matty_k. I missed the TV broadcast.

It was interesting to see him playing for Joeys again. I saw nearly all of his games in the three years he was in the 1st XV.

I had first seen him in a trial for the 13As and was flabbergasted. I showed up to watch him the following week, but he had already been promoted to the 15s.

I sat with his late grandad, Ray, a few times at Hunters Hill. He was very proud of him.

Good luck to Kurtley; he's a good lad.

Westy

Bob McCowan (2)
The Johnson Falefa 'highlights' didn't look that that encouraging - a series of scrums and a couple of 'prop as half back' moments. The halfback moments looked a bit flacky and almost looked like he'd inserted himself into the game instead of being into position for the next play/hitup.

I agree - a 150kg prop is a rare thing in modern sport. Charlie Faumuina (Blues) and Ben Afeaki (Chiefs) come in at around 130kg - Tahs currently look like Kepu (125kg) , Ryan (120kg), Tilse (118kg) and Fatcat (113kg).

Westy

Bob McCowan (2)
Also - anyone have updates on the Tahs hooker issue? TPN is walking wounded - how are the backups/depth looking? I saw an article on Tolu Latu from USYD - how realistic is he as a starter?

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
The Johnson Falefa 'highlights' didn't look that that encouraging - a series of scrums and a couple of 'prop as half back' moments. The halfback moments looked a bit flacky and almost looked like he'd inserted himself into the game instead of being into position for the next play/hitup.

I agree - a 150kg prop is a rare thing in modern sport. Charlie Faumuina (Blues) and Ben Afeaki (Chiefs) come in at around 130kg - Tahs currently look like Kepu (125kg) , Ryan (120kg), Tilse (118kg) and Fatcat (113kg).

Those really big bookends would be found out in a fast game of running rugby. Think they would be targetted around the edges (although I wouldn't come within 10 metres just in case the big prick grabbed me) - Keps is OK for mobility (particularly against Wales) and Ben R is pretty light yet still probably not as mobile as Keps.

Seems to me that the perfect size is about 115-120 to enable good mobility and a reasonable set piece. Unless of course you come accross a freak at 140kg, with a big motor and great mobility.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Also - anyone have updates on the Tahs hooker issue? TPN is walking wounded - how are the backups/depth looking? I saw an article on Tolu Latu from USYD - how realistic is he as a starter?

You can't tell about Latu at his age.

It was a huge call for Cheika to give a full contract to a 20 year old.

But he was an Invited Player 12 months ago, and since then he had his second trip to the IRB JWC (Under 20s) playing LHP, proved himself as first grade hooker for Sydney Uni (and side-stepped for a try in the Grand Final) and went with the Tahs on their trip to Argentina.

Cheika has big wraps on him and he's a tough young bugger.

Cheika has one spot for a hooker left—either in the EPS or the main squad. Unless Cheika has a left-field candidate up his sleeve who is not training with the Tahs now (and who knows if there is not a goodie playing in Japan who will be available after their season, and eligible) that spot will likely go to Hugh Roach.

Westy

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks Grant - so that would make it:
TPN
Latu
Roach
there's probably been discussion on this earlier but that depth looks worrying

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
TPN
Latu
Roach

If you guys don't sign him soon the Rebels might have a chat with him. We're after injury cover for Tom Sexton (did his ACL and out for 2014).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
TPN
Latu
Roach

I think the issue is that there aren't exactly a lot of other options.

It's either those guys or find a foreign import.

Personally I really rate both Latu and Roach and think that signing both of them is the right move.

Westy

Bob McCowan (2)
agreed - I'm looking forward to seeing how they go - really enjoyed watching some of the new guys that started for the Tahs in 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.