• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Classic example for me being Nemani Nadolo. We had him as an emerging talent. Never made an impact and left. Becomes a gun winger for the crusaders 3-4 years later after some time in Europe.

We have this discussion about big N regularly. He was a decent U20 player - not a super star as people often say - and he was a terror in club rugby in the Shute Shield.

He was in the Tahs' squad - I think in what we would now call the EPS but I could be wrong. He played well in one trial match that I went down to see at Viking Park and I thought he was reaching his potential in a few glimpses - but he never really made his mark that year.

You've got to consider that none of the other Super teams wanted him either.

He went to France and played for a cellar dweller then went to Exeter where he played part of a season - then left because of off-field issues. But his improvement in that short period in Exeter, compared to what he was in Sydney, was noticeable.

However it was when he went to play in Japan that he made his big step forward - being more than a flat-track bully - and one of the Kiwi coaches over there recommended him to Todd Blackadder at the Crusaders.

Could anybody have said that Billy Meakes would play as well as he is playing now, when he was younger? He was an excellent schools player when I saw him play for Joeys every week and like Nadolo made the Aus U20 team, but I wouldn't have thought that he would be the player he has been this season.

It's only since he's had overseas experience that he became the player he is now.

Not quite to the point of this, but it's funny (strange) - I thought that having five teams would keep more Aussie lads at home and not go overseas - and the Wallabies would have more candidates every season to look at.

But that dog doesn't hunt anymore.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Sekope Kepu was issued a Citing Commissioner Warning for a no arms hit on Jordie Barrett.

Because he's already had 2 yellow cards in 2017, it now means he'll face the judiciary.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
We have this discussion about big N regularly. He was a decent U20 player - not a super star as people often say - and he was a terror in club rugby in the Shute Shield.

He was in the Tahs' squad - I think in what we would now call the EPS but I could be wrong. He played well in one trial match that I went down to see at Viking Park and I thought he was reaching his potential in a few glimpses - but he never really made his mark that year.

He also had a few discipline problems off the field, I think getting dropped by the Tahs was the reality check he needed to have

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If the Force are wound-up, bring Matt Phillip home.

I don't like the either of those two clauses but I do like the sentiment. I am worried the Tahs will pick up one of Philip or Coleman for next year- which is a shame because I think the Force could go vertical if we keep the same squad for next year (if there is a next year).

Jon

Chris McKivat (8)

He went to France and played for a cellar dweller then went to Exeter where he played part of a season - then left because of off-field issues. But his improvement in that short period in Exeter, compared to what he was in Sydney, was noticeable.

However it was when he went to play in Japan that he made his big step forward - and one of the Kiwi coaches over there recommended him to Todd Blackadder at the Crusaders.

There is also a story about either him being let go from the RWA setup (back when he was still Ratu Nasiganiyav) when JM challenged him about his attitude to training; which resulted in him & JM racing back to the sheds or the office (cant remember which one) with his job on the line.

JM won.

glad to see he got his shit together, but dammit i wish he stayed involved in RWA...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Kepu has spun up a 1 on the SANZAAR wheel of misfortune for having 2 yellow cards + Citing Commisioner warning so will miss the Kings game as the Waratahs have the bye this week.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kepu has spun up a 1 on the SANZAAR wheel of misfortune for having 2 yellow cards + Citing Commisioner warning so will miss the Kings game as the Waratahs have the bye this week.

The email from SANZAAR had the subject:

MEDIA RELEASE: Scope Kepu issued Warning

The Tahs should claim the citing commissioner warning doesn't count on the basis that it was issued to the wrong player ;)

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Anyone see the utter anger in Foleys face / body language as he kicked the ball out to end the 1st half against the Hurricanes?

I don't think the senior players are happy at all with how the seasons played out.

Going from the 2014 / 15 form to that game would feel like a real kick in the dick.

Has Gibson lost the locker room? Stuart Lancaster is off contract at the end of the English season . . .

Otherwise, if the Force go I'd like to see us make a play for Peni, Rona or DHP.

If the Rebels go I'd like to see us make a play for Naivalu or English.

After watching Reece Robinson this season I have no time for another ex leagueys defensive misreads on the wing (Koroibete).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Anyone see the utter anger in Foleys face / body language as he kicked the ball out to end the 1st half against the Hurricanes?

I don't think the senior players are happy at all with how the seasons played out.

Has Gibson lost the locker room? Stuart Lancaster is off contract at the end of the English season .

Why would any player be happy with the endless mistakes of the first half?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Why would any player be happy with the endless mistakes of the first half?

I'm not saying he should be.

Infact I found it really refreshing to see how angry he was. I was feeling the same way*.

* kind of. I was having post-work drinks with some friends so when Taqele knocked that ball on after his saunter down the wing I think I cheered at the hilarity of it as the hopelessness of the Waratahs finally broke my brain.

It didn't help that I was watching it with some mates who are mad AFL fans who were commenting on their disbelief as to how completely fucked the state of the game was in Australia as proof of that argument unfolded before us.

If you don't laugh you'll cry.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Stuart Lancaster

giphy.gif

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
That's a huge part of our problem with the lack of coaching pathways though.

We're essentially looking at coaching options who have zero experience at the level we are after.

Gibson had a long apprenticeship as an assistant coach at Super Rugby level before becoming the head coach and clearly things are not going well for him.

Evidence suggests that more head coaching experience at a lower level isn't really likely to have a better result. They could easily be shown to be well out of their depth.

How many Australian coaches have done well in the professional era who haven't spent considerable time overseas?

It would be hard to act surprised if you gave a lower level coach the head coaching role at a Super Rugby side and they struggled.

Status
Not open for further replies.