• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
McCalman would also be fantastic at 8. Holloway really hasn't fired since his breakout season (due to injury), Wells is a bench player at best talent-wise and Dempsey will be out for the beginning of the season.

The two would really reinforce the entire squad.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see a Hanigan, Hooper, Dempsey back row though.

Maybe. But that will be after April when we could easily be 0 and 7 (or 7 and 0 if you're an optimist). Dempsey will be back mid-April, but the nature of his injury was such that he will be eased back in via the bench. We definitely need McCalman for the first half of the season, otherwise we are looking at Wells at 8, who is a great trier but just not a starter.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Wells was excellent for Norths throughout their finals campaign but just lacks the size to make the next step up. Has a 7s background so can be quite handy off the bench towards the end of the match when the opposition tires.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Received my Tahs membership packs for the year, Impressed with the speed of delivery compared to previous seasons. It contains a scarf, a car sticker, a pen and lanyard.

Note to Waratahs membership for future years. Membership packs are a great opportunity to promote the Waratahs club. Take the car sticker for example. I will happily advertise the club by sticking the brand on my car and driving all over NSW. This year's sticker is a Waratah with the world's smallest font saying "for the love of rugby". Nice phrase but a missed opportunity. The Waratahs symbol is used everywhere across NSW, its the State Government Logo. Use the full Tahs Logo with the word "Waratahs" in big lettering. Promote the team name. Its free advertising and we're willing to do it.

A scarf - nice design but I'll rarely wear a scarf (even to a game), but a hat that's a different story. Yes, I have many of them over the years, but hats are worn by members.

Many are receiving their membership packs now, in Summer. What item will we wear to the shops, to the beach, to the cricket, to the Sydney 7s, on a Sunday morning getting a coffee ......... not a bloody scarf.

So whilst I see Swans membership caps and NRL membership caps around town, the Tahs missed an opportunity for its membership to promote the club in the lead up to the season. Yes I can wear an old season's cap, or buy a new one, but there is something nice about highlighting you are a current member and all the hope and optimism that comes with that leading into a season.

Anyway, there you go, trivial rant over. Bring on the season.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
So best match day 23 to look something like this (with hopefully McCalman and maybe another 9? Louwrens possibly?) Really lacking heavyweight ball carriers in the pack, can see us getting beaten in the collision, 3 of our biggest guys are in the backs with Izzy, TN and Rona!!!!!

Kepu
Latu
Robertson
Simmons
Staniforth
Hanigan (Dempsey when recovered)
Hooper
Holloway (McCalman hopefully?)
Gordon/Phipps
Foley
Naiyarovoro
Beale
Rona
Newsome
Folau

Vui
Roach
Ryan
Swinton?
Wilkin/Wells?
Phipps/Gordon
Mason
Simone/Clark?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So best match day 23 to look something like this (with hopefully McCalman and maybe another 9? Louwrens possibly?) Really lacking heavyweight ball carriers in the pack, can see us getting beaten in the collision, 3 of our biggest guys are in the backs with Izzy, TN and Rona!!!!!

Kepu
Latu
Robertson
Simmons
Staniforth
Hanigan (Dempsey when recovered)
Hooper
Holloway (McCalman hopefully?)
Gordon/Phipps
Foley
Naiyarovoro
Beale
Rona
Newsome
Folau

Vui
Roach
Ryan
Swinton?
Wilkin/Wells?
Phipps/Gordon
Mason
Simone/Clark?

Still think Naiyarovo will be lucky to start much, lovely going forward with a 10m run up, but a liability in defence (too many lazy arms thrown out) and a turning circle of an ocean liner

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Still think Naiyarovo will be lucky to start much, lovely going forward with a 10m run up, but a liability in defence (too many lazy arms thrown out) and a turning circle of an ocean liner

I really want him to be given at least 1 game at 13 just based off his Barbarians match.

Status
Not open for further replies.