• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

I really want him to be given at least 1 game at 13 just based off his Barbarians match.

That was against a Wallabies team who played a rookie inside centre at 5/8.. I also don’t think the plan was to initially play TN there, so wallabies didn’t plan for it subsequently failed to test or exploit him defensively at 13, but IMO he doesn’t have the lateral speed to effectively defend at 13 in super rugby, he would get picked to pieces at 13 in Super Rugby

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
^^^^ I'm more concerned about his ability to read the play at 13, that's the hardest spot to defend bar none.
He's hardly been an exceptional defender in a position he know well.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
To be fair he's played a few games at Parramatta at 13 where he regularly did what he does well and at the same time what he doesn't. I've watched him closely during the last few games for the Waratahs and his lack of rugby nous is outstanding. I firmly believe that he should be an impact option off the bench and should never start against quality sides (read NZ teams).

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Just imagine this backline on the attack.
Gordon
Foley
Nai'yaravoro
Beale
Simone
Rona
Folau

As long the opposition didn't get the ball this would be a sight.

Sent from my FP2 using Tapatalk

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It just amazes me that somebody with the natural attributes that he has does not seem to have been able to work out how to use his talent.

Is it lack of effort? Lack of ambition? What on earth is holding him back?

Maybe he should go and play some basketball, or volleyball, to learn how to be a bit more agile????

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He seems to be pretty good at scoring tries and breaking tackles.

He has plenty of flaws to his game but also offers something no other winger in the country does.

I think he has considerable value as an impact player off the bench.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
It just amazes me that somebody with the natural attributes that he has does not seem to have been able to work out how to use his talent.

Maybe he should go and play some basketball, or volleyball, to learn how to be a bit more agile????

Without the data to back it up I reckon he would have to have the best try scoring strike rate in super rugby. I don't think the coach has come up with a plan to get him enough ball. He would score or set up a try every four touches of the ball. I know he has his defensive frailties but he will score or set up more than he concedes, especially if used as a sub for the last quarter of the match.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Without the data to back it up I reckon he would have to have the best try scoring strike rate in super rugby. I don't think the coach has come up with a plan to get him enough ball. He would score or set up a try every four touches of the ball. I know he has his defensive frailties but he will score or set up more than he concedes, especially if used as a sub for the last quarter of the match.

He needs to look for work the way Koroibete does. He pops up all over the place in attack.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just imagine this backline on the attack.
Gordon
Foley
Nai'yaravoro
Beale
Simone
Rona
Folau

As long the opposition didn't get the ball this would be a sight.

I'd say Phipps will start the season over Gordon (Phipps fitness numbers are always off the park and at the start of the year it is all you really have to go by). Rona will slot into 13 with Newscome on one wing and Clark/Kellaway/Naiyaravoro fighting out for the other.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I'd say Phipps will start the season over Gordon (Phipps fitness numbers are always off the park and at the start of the year it is all you really have to go by). Rona will slot into 13 with Newscome on one wing and Clark/Kellaway/Naiyaravoro fighting out for the other.
Can't argue with any of that. I was just Fry ng to fit the best attacking players the Tahs have onto one side to show what fire power they have up their sleeve (or literally on the bench). If only Foley, Beale, Simone, and BigT could defend well.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)

I don't think it's a lack of ambition or effort apparently he was part of a small group of Tahs players who ran drills off their own bat at Moore Park in the offseason/when Wallabies were playing.

I think part of the reason that he hasn't been able to work out how to use his talent is poor strategy/coaching. The coaching staff of the Waratahs/Wallabies have been happy to rearrange the defensive line to accomodate Foley's and others shortcomings but Taqele has just been left on the wing where he can be exploited. I don't see why he can't be shuffled closer to the ruck in defence to make up for his lack of acceleration. Right now the it seems it': just a tradeoff between how many tries he scores on the wing vs how many he lets in without trying to tactically manage his strengths and weaknesses.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
The link on the Tahs website to become a member is broken. It appears to have been for a while. I wonder how membership numbers are going ........

Isn't this one of their key sources of income? Yet no one has checked.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The link on the Tahs website to become a member is broken. It appears to have been for a while. I wonder how membership numbers are going ....

Isn't this one of their key sources of income? Yet no one has checked.

That's so embarrassing - what is the link?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I would think Clark & Newsome, they have the most pace and propensity to having a workrate, Kellaway simply needs to do more every game, and Naiyaravoro needs to do a lot more each game - and probably 10% of his body fat

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think part of the reason that he hasn't been able to work out how to use his talent is poor strategy/coaching. The coaching staff of the Waratahs/Wallabies have been happy to rearrange the defensive line to accomodate Foley's and others shortcomings but Taqele has just been left on the wing where he can be exploited. I don't see why he can't be shuffled closer to the ruck in defence to make up for his lack of acceleration. Right now the it seems it': just a tradeoff between how many tries he scores on the wing vs how many he lets in without trying to tactically manage his strengths and weaknesses.

I'm not sure moving him in closer makes that better. He can clearly get exploited by kicking over him because he is slow to turn around but his one on one tackling is poor. Outside of the occasional big hit he is not a good tackler and gets beaten one on one a fair amount in situations where he is in a perfectly good position to make the tackle.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Robertson
Latu
Kepu
Simmons
Staniforth
Hainigan
Hooper
Holloway/McCalman
Phipps