• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
What are people thinking about the matchday 23 this year?

The biggest points of contention for me are 13,14,11 and 4,5,6,8.

Ideally, I'd like:

1. Robertson
2. Latu
3. Kepu
4. Simmons
5. Hanigan
6. Dempsey
7. Hooper
8. Holloway
9. Gordon
10. Foley
11. TQN
12. Beale
13. Simone / Foketi
14. Newsome
15. Folau

16. Ryan
17. Roach
18. ?
19. Palmer
20. Staniforth
21. Phipps
22. Mason
23. Kellaway

I also wouldn't mind seeing TQN trialled at 13 after that Barbarians performance.

The Hanigan / Dempsey dilemma at 6 is made all the worse by the fact that Hanigan doesn't offer much starch in the 2nd row, but then again, neither do Staniforth or Simmons.

I understand there's a lot of hype about Staniforth, and his NRC fans often quote his insane work rate but, personally, I don't care if a player has 24 carries a game if they're for an aggregated 3 metres.

I want to see a bit more impact from him, and hopefully off the bench him and Palmer can provide that. Once they get subbed, the backrow barndance can begin as Hanigan can play 6, Dempsey can play 7 or 8 etc.

I'd also like to see Foley given some rest games this season to freshen him up as he's played an insane amount of footy this year and hasn't played to his best form. Mason is a quality player, and there's no better apprenticeship that he could have than under Beale.
Big thing for me Holloway must be the number 8 every week

Sent from my SM-N916K using Tapatalk

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
Vui slots straight onto the bench TH spot, Fingers crossed we may also end up with Rona and McCalman.. which sorts out the 13 spot but adds to the back-row barn dance.... What we'd give for a big hard nosed Super Rugby!! Hopefully Newsome steps up and owns the other wing slot, we really need some turbo speed out there to compliment the brick outhouse on the other wing.
Hanigan should be sent back to club rugby

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
The tahs are hopeless with naming the squad

Yep. As another poster pointed out, the Waratahs website has what appears to finally have the updated squad in the drop down menu. The other franchises had a press release for their squads to drum up interest. The Tahs look like they gave the job to a 10 year old on his Mums Dell. Do yourself a favour and check it out. KB (Kurtley Beale) looks to have bulked up in the off season:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Yep. As another poster pointed out, the Waratahs website has what appears to finally have the updated squad in the drop down menu. The other franchises had a press release for their squads to drum up interest. The Tahs look like they gave the job to a 10 year old on his Mums Dell. Do yourself a favour and check it out. KB (Kurtley Beale) looks to have bulked up in the off season:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Commodore 64.
I’m no expert but most corporate websites endeavour to achieve a consistent look for each photo: the Tahs have managed to have no two photos taken at the same zoom or whatever.
I know you can’t spend money you don’t have indefinitely, and the increased participation fee hasn’t yet filled their coffers but this amateurish effort tells potential fans that these guys are disorganised.
No leadership being shown just ad hoc box ticking: website? Check.

gkd1169

Chris McKivat (8)
Rubbish. He was perfectly fine at Super level and will get better as he builds up / gets even more experience. He has good workrate and attitude. He may have been launched into Test rugby too early, but no issue with him at Super level.
Hopeless at both obviously he has friends in high places

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Can't much higher than the Wallabies coach, I suppose.

We're talking Super rugby playing, and from what I saw in 2017, he was perfectly capable at that level. I'm not talking about test level. Arguing against his ability at Super rugby level by dismissing him as having friends in high places is puerile and cheap.

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
He may well have been thrust into international rugby too early but I don't think there are better options available and giving a young player experience is a good thing
He was a standout player in colts
Looked like a future star in grade
Hasn't looked out of place in super rugby
For a 22 year old in a crap Tahs team he has been pretty good imo

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
We're talking Super rugby playing, and from what I saw in 2017, he was perfectly capable at that level. I'm not talking about test level. Arguing against his ability at Super rugby level by dismissing him as having friends in high places is puerile and cheap.

I was being whimsical.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think Hanigan's situation has a huge amount of upside for Aussie rugby. He's a handy Super rugby player and a bloody hard worker (apparently a massive prick on the field in all the best ways).

Sure, he has a considerable amount of test experience when he really shouldn't - but that bodes well for his future and that of the Wallabies. Worst case scenario for him is he's a handy 6/lock that you need in any WC squad and best case he evolves into a reliable test 6.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Well, it seems as though McCalman's broken again. We would have heard much earlier if the injury wasn't serious - I would guess they've been waiting for it to heal and keeping everyone in suspense before he's due back at training in early January.

Trouble is, if he's not OK we are up the proverbial creek with totally dodgy equipment. Dempsey's an early/late April option, prior to that it will be Hanigan, Hooper and Holloway with Wells and Wilkin on the bench. Talk about a backrow with the hitting power of a wet lettuce!

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well, it seems as though McCalman's broken again. We would have heard much earlier if the injury wasn't serious - I would guess they've been waiting for it to heal and keeping everyone in suspense before he's due back at training in early January.

Trouble is, if he's not OK we are up the proverbial creek with totally dodgy equipment. Dempsey's an early/late April option, prior to that it will be Hanigan, Hooper and Holloway with Wells and Wilkin on the bench. Talk about a backrow with the hitting power of a wet lettuce!
Is this the new Tahs? Actually getting blokes medically examined before signing them - learning lessons from Tahu and Elsom?

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The glass half full take is with McCalman you know if he spends half the year injured he'll still hit good form pretty much instantly.

Also, this is a good excuse to get a good value contract.

MACCA

Ron Walden (29)

Kelly Meafua?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.