• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

rodha

Dave Cowper (27)
Waratahs face fight to keep rising Wallabies star Bell from Super rivals (msn.com)

Bell's management reached out to rival Aussie outfits prior to former coach Rob Penney's departure and sources close to the 20-year-old told the Herald Penney's departure is likely to be a positive factor in the Waratahs' hopes of retaining the promising prop.

Interesting

It sounds like a bloody scandal ever since Penney took over! those double-agent Cantabrian coaches man..

agent Deans did a great job for them, agent Gibson started work on the Tahs and agent Penney finished it!

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
It sounds like a bloody scandal ever since Penney took over! those double-agent Cantabrian coaches man..

agent Deans did a great job for them, agent Gibson started work on the Tahs and agent Penney finished it!

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...t-snubs-rennie-overtures-20210427-p57mtv.html

Looks like he's been re-signed.

Maybe I'm a bit of a sadist, but I'm thinking of going to to game at WIN Stadium next month (closest game to me). I really hope it's not a cold wet day - that may make any pain from a loss the harder to bear :)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Donaldson has gone well but it has to be remembered that Harrison got to play less than a game with Gordon this season.

Jake Gordon has made the biggest difference to the Tahs since he came back from injury and it certainly assists the 10 having him there.

I'm still of the view that Harrison is a bit better at 10. It's close though and they have different strengths.

I think we may see Harrison @10 & Donaldson @12 in the future

Donaldson's work was good, but he had Gordon back and forwards working a tad more effectively

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Donaldson's work was good, but he had Gordon back and forwards working a tad more effectively

I'm not sure Donaldson is going to be better in the centres than Perese or Walton.

I see Donaldson as an option at 15 as well. Maddocks needs to improve his high ball work and consistency or he might find himself pushed to the wing or become surplus to needs at his contract price.

The reality for the Tahs in 2021 was that Maddocks and Dempsey are close to our highest profile and paid players and neither of them have consistently delivered.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Donaldson is a 12 playing 10 IMHO, solid & direct

Whether off the bench or starting I think he will get more game time, I agree re Perese & Walton but I think they are both more suited to 13 than 12

To me you either give your 10 a running back (Foteki or Tepai) or a ball player (Donaldson) in the 12 slot

Perese can be that running back, but I think he has demonstrated he is better with a bit more space so 13 for me

I am not sure how Walton fits into the team, neither a pure running back or a ball player, somewhat of a hybrid

Maddocks got better when he wasn't trying to win the game on every play

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

Whether off the bench or starting I think he will get more game time, I agree re Perese & Walton but I think they are both more suited to 13 than 12

To me you either give your 10 a running back (Foteki or Tepai) or a ball player (Donaldson) in the 12 slot

Perese can be that running back, but I think he has demonstrated he is better with a bit more space so 13 for me

I am not sure how Walton fits into the team, neither a pure running back or a ball player, somewhat of a hybrid

I think Walton has potential to be fairly well- rounded 12, especially with a robust ball runner outside him (e.g. Perese).

He runs solid lines that generally allow him to get over the advantage line (despite his size) and has a decent- short passing game on him.

He seems to be one of those players that improves each game and shows a little more than you might have originally expected.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)

Good analysis FP, agree with you musings

EDIT: my preference is the Giteau type Second 5/8 at 12

think Donaldson might be pretty perfect for that role, but then you need proper run straight monsters outside, and Perese fills that role

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
Piff.jpg

don't know what you're talking about

I will help you here

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Walton has potential to be fairly well- rounded 12, especially with a robust ball runner outside him (e.g. Perese).

He runs solid lines that generally allow him to get over the advantage line (despite his size) and has a decent- short passing game on him.

He seems to be one of those players that improves each game and shows a little more than you might have originally expected.

True, but my preference is that second ballplayer/kicker @ 12

It means they can't focus and rush the 10 as easily

But the other option is play the way the French do and rely on Gordon to direct play and have that 12/10 (eg Donaldson) is a ball distributer/runner from 10 .............................. and the negative of that to me is when Gordon is replaced, that system fails as our back ups 9s can't do that job

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
True, but my preference is that second ballplayer/kicker @ 12

It means they can't focus and rush the 10 as easily

But the other option is play the way the French do and rely on Gordon to direct play and have that 12/10 (eg Donaldson) is a ball distributer/runner from 10 .......... and the negative of that to me is when Gordon is replaced, that system fails as our back ups 9s can't do that job

We definitely need a secondary playmaker/distributor to take the pressure off our fly half and so if one is shut down the game plan continues

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
We definitely need a secondary playmaker/distributor to take the pressure off our fly half and so if one is shut down the game plan continues

I do agree with the need for dual play makers but not the notion that the 12 has to be a Matt Giteau- clone; that balance can be achieved through various ways.

We currently have a 15 who was touted as a potential long-term fly-half and who does not appear to be a strike runner, so why isn't Maddocks stepping up more as a distributor?

We're kind of arguing over nothing here but key point is that I don't know if Donaldson would strengthen the 'Tahs anymore than Walton - and we really need more dangerous ball-runners anyway!

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
The Waratahs’ plans to rebuild could be halted at the first stop, with the Melbourne Rebels courting coach Darren Coleman and General Manager Adam Freier from the LA Giltinis.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/...s/news-story/72a9c06fcb3bd473489c8465e319679d

Funny how some journalists instinctively have to take the negative outlook - Coleman is one of several contenders for the Tahs job, and there are other good options on that list. And "no formal conversations" with the Rebels have taken place, but apparently, the Tahs rebuild is in trouble because one coaching contender might be considering more than one option. FFS.

But pleased to see that Les Kiss is on the Tahs' list - I suggest he's the kind of experienced coach we need for what should be one of the top provincial coaching posts in the world. But apparently he doesn't know the current talent in the Shute Shield - well, that's obviously a serious problem. Ben Batger won't sign off on him.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)

I'd like to see Harrison at fullback when he is fit again, Maddocks on the wing and give Donaldson some more game time at 10.... the back line has seemed to flow much better with him there imho..... he plays much flatter and has earned praise from Matt Burke and Andrew Mehrtens, who are fair judges of back line play. The centre pairing seem to be working well.....does Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) replace Newsome to start?... Some would say yes.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'd like to see Harrison at fullback when he is fit again, Maddocks on the wing and give Donaldson some more game time at 10.. the back line has seemed to flow much better with him there imho... he plays much flatter and has earned praise from Matt Burke and Andrew Mehrtens, who are fair judges of back line play. The centre pairing seem to be working well...does Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) replace Newsome to start?. Some would say yes.

Well he couldn't leave any more glaring defensive holes that's for sure.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd like to see Harrison at fullback when he is fit again, Maddocks on the wing and give Donaldson some more game time at 10..

This doesn't seem like a reasonable comparison to me.

Harrison played less than one half before Izaia Perese got sent off and less than one game before Jake Gordon got injured.

Without doubt those two guys have been the stars of our team in the back end of the season. I'm not willing to suggest that the backline looks better with Donaldson on the basis that we haven't seen Harrison play with them for any reasonable amount of time.