• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
As bad as it was, it can still get worse.

giphy.gif

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That's a given, but with the Reds pack missing a few and the 2 kiwi locks looking good I think we'll go very well up front.
I've got to say I'm absolutely rapt with the starting backline and will go on to predict they will outplay the reds wallaby backs...

Gordon is a huge threat, Harrison, skill-wise is the best 10 in OZ right now and I wouldn't swap him for anyone. Plus kicks at 90%+

All the back five have speed, can tackle and are excellent at catch and pass. No selfish players, they all looking to shift the ball into space and all run hard in support.

I'm tipping a surprise win to the Tahs with slick backline plays being the highlight.

We'll see how they go tomorrow night but I'm with you and I feel like people are heavily underrating the potential in this group.

I'm not sure they'll win but I think it will be really close.

Just for the black humour of it I have reposted these after the performance debacle last night. Only six players last night earned their match fees: Gordon, Grant, Maddocks, Porecki, Sinclair and Tizzano. And - three of them were off the bench.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
And Swinton isn’t back.
If Walton is out then Moeroa slots into the centre’s with Newsome. Unless Edmed get promoted to 12. Things looking very dire already.
Are you sure about Swinton? I thought Penney said that he would have been eligible for the Reds game if the Brumbies trial want cancelled. I could be wrong though

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
From SANZAAR “Swinton has been suspended from all forms of the game for four weeks, up to and including Saturday 6 February 2021.”A bit confusing with that now-gone date in there, but I assume 4 weeks means 4 matches.
Two tests, one trial and Round 1 of Super Rugby - he should be available next week.
But that's logic. Means nothing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It is going to be a long season for the Tahs...I said all I needed to leading into the season.

The positives will be hopefully see some players develop like Tizzano who I thought showed good energy last night.

Alex Ross (28)
Are you sure about Swinton? I thought Penney said that he would have been eligible for the Reds game if the Brumbies trial want cancelled. I could be wrong though
I had it in my mind he had another week. Great if he’s back. I hope he can control himself

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Just for the black humour of it I have reposted these after the performance debacle last night. Only six players last night earned their match fees: Gordon, Grant, Maddocks, Porecki, Sinclair and Tizzano. And - three of them were off the bench.

Pretty hard to watch... but I don't think anyone can blame the backs.... Most of the starting forward pack were insipid....

Was hoping they might step up but the forwards were not up to the task. Too many boys playing men. No gain line wins, no dominant tackles and some poor defensive reads. The new NZ locks were invisible, Horton looked out of his depth. Dempsey was not sighted. We have a backline that could go well with a strong forward pack but these forwards are a long way from where they need to be.

Some serious, big dollar recruiting needs to start for next season. This would be my shopping list... All currently o/s and should all be playing here

Izaak Rodda
Another Lock...
Tolu Latu
Another TH prop so we can have Bell and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) at loosehead.
Samu Kerevi
Taqele Naiyarovoro

Adding this lot would pretty much solve all the weak spots and give the squad the physical presence they are desperately short of. Back row are strong, Halves are strong, just need a couple of bigger frames in the backs and forwards.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Pretty hard to watch. but I don't think anyone can blame the backs.. Most of the starting forward pack were insipid..

Was hoping they might step up but the forwards were not up to the task. Too many boys playing men. No gain line wins, no dominant tackles and some poor defensive reads. The new NZ locks were invisible, Horton looked out of his depth. Dempsey was not sighted. We have a backline that could go well with a strong forward pack but these forwards are a long way from where they need to be.

Some serious, big dollar recruiting needs to start for next season. This would be my shopping list. All currently o/s and should all be playing here

Izaak Rodda
Another Lock.
Tolu Latu
Another TH prop so we can have Bell and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) at loosehead.
Samu Kerevi
Taqele Naiyarovoro

Adding this lot would pretty much solve all the weak spots and give the squad the physical presence they are desperately short of. Back row are strong, Halves are strong, just need a couple of bigger frames in the backs and forwards.

The Tahs backs kept throwing it around hot potato style which they either dropped or threw it into touch.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Pretty hard to watch. but I don't think anyone can blame the backs.. Most of the starting forward pack were insipid..

Some serious, big dollar recruiting needs to start for next season. This would be my shopping list. All currently o/s and should all be playing here

Izaak Rodda
Another Lock.
Tolu Latu
Samu Kerevi
Taqele Naiyarovoro

Tahs would not have the money to bring the people mentioned home but I would love Rodda.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, that was awful.

The first two minutes went well and then the last 78 were pretty dire. It's going to be even tougher if we're missing Gordon and Walton for an extended period.

We started panicking way too early. I understand that Gordon likes to push the tempo and take some quick taps but kicking a few penalty goals would have kept the game much closer for longer. We need to take points when they're on offer.

Execution was poor across the game. We had several clear try scoring opportunities that were blown with a poor pass, dropped ball etc.

I thought our locks were particularly disappointing. Really lacked impact on the game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
A 6 week ban for the tackle? Do you really think this was a reasonable suspension?

He lifted a guy up way beyond the horizontal and dumped him. Thankfully nothing bad came of it because the player broke his fall with his arm but he put him in a dangerous position.

It was dumb and totally unnecessary. We don't see many tackles like this anymore because most players have learned not to do it.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Tahs would not have the money to bring the people mentioned home but I would love Rodda.

How would they not have the coin to pay them?

The last 2 seasons they have lost the following big name players and replaced them with young up and comers or no names.... They should be millions under the bloody cap at this point!!!!! (with the bold print guys all wallabies)

Robertson
Latu
TPN
Fitzpatrick
Kepu
Simmons
McCauley
Holloway
Staniforth
Hooper (for this year)
Dempsey (soon)
Hanigan
Phipps
Foley
Beale
Hunt
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Rona
Folau

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
How would they not have the coin to pay them?

The last 2 seasons they have lost the following big name players and replaced them with young up and comers or no names.. They should be millions under the bloody cap at this point!!!!! (with the bold print guys all wallabies)

Robertson
Latu
TPN
Fitzpatrick
Kepu
Simmons
McCauley
Holloway
Staniforth
Hooper (for this year)
Dempsey (soon)
Hanigan
Phipps
Foley
Beale
Hunt
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
Rona
Folau

They are millions under the cap - but they are still broke AF. No home stadium can't be helping.