• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
It would be interesting to see the difference in total player salaries between the Super teams- the Brumbies and Reds look significantly better on paper - so either the Waratahs are spending less or there is some very poor recruitment and cost management happening there.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
They are millions under the cap - but they are still broke AF. No home stadium can't be helping.

I doubt they would be in any better or worse financial state than the other Super Rugby franchises.... They've all been through a COVID year and their respective attendances, especially the Brumbies and Rebels have always been poor.

I think it's just been shit recruitment from the rats that bailed out after the place was trashed..... Gibson/Hore/Rapp etc who all were asleep at the wheel. This squad mismanagement has been happening for a while and most Tahs fans I talk to have been watching the player list management with despair. This was easy to see coming, especially after the RWC 19 cycle.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yes, it was pretty rough to watch, but I'm not writing the season off yet. It was similar last year, and we saw a lot of improvement over the season. Unfortunately, this should be year 2 for this team, but in reality, it's back to year 1 of rebuilding, with so many changes after last season. I just hope we can see some consistency in management for at least another year or two - the Reds have shown the benefit of sticking with the plan for more than 18 months.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I knew we were going to be faaarked after that first scrum, that was down to concentration, at the first scrum, in the first game

and then we had free catches to the Reds at lineout ...................................

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Quite happy to see Perese on the sideline, we may end up with a more effective centre pairing, because we need more drive and front foot ball

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I doubt they would be in any better or worse financial state than the other Super Rugby franchises.. They've all been through a COVID year and their respective attendances, especially the Brumbies and Rebels have always been poor.

I think it's just been shit recruitment from the rats that bailed out after the place was trashed... Gibson/Hore/Rapp etc who all were asleep at the wheel. This squad mismanagement has been happening for a while and most Tahs fans I talk to have been watching the player list management with despair. This was easy to see coming, especially after the RWC 19 cycle.

Our board has stated that we have to be a million under the cap for financial reasons and we are even more under the cap then that. You look at the other sides and you can tell they are spending the cap and unlike us wisely.

Yes I agree that Hore, Gibson and co have killed the Tahs I have been stating that for years but hey people kept arguing with me.

We have again recruited poorly so that is Penney.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
giphy.gif

Me checking this years footy schedule to see if
the Tahs are supposed to play the Blues this season...

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
I'm prepared to give Penney the benefit of the doubt at this stage... If the 2022 squad is still ordinary then it's definitely on him.

There are still plenty of holes to fill with plenty of cap room as I think a fair few of the new recruits are on 1yr terms..

If they don't fire, I'm sure he could easily move on the following guys..

Abel
Caird
Dempsey (already gone..)
Faulkner
Foketi
Moeroa
Talaki
Whetton
Wykes
Cotton

Still keep the young guys with High ceilings and fill the new spots with a few O/S wallabies or Super Rugby players not getting starts.

10 spots to be filled... I'd be looking at this lot - a mix of Wallabies, Super Rugby players o/s starting teams and a few o/s but oz qualified.

Tolu Latu
Izaak Rodda
Samu Kerevi
Taqele Naiyarovoro

All wallabies and good enough to potentially play in RWC. Definitely a carrot to dangle there.

A big bodied winger/Centre from Super Rugby or NRL like Solomone Kata unfortunately Moeroa is a fail, but same type of profile Maybe not an NRL backrower.... an o/s back with speed and strength. Even a Sefa Naivalu
A hard nosed XL Lock like Arnold or Coleman or Skelton. Even Steve Cummins is an upgrade on what we have..Matt Philip is also a Sydney boy as is LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
An experienced TH prop Both AB and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) are LH. How did we miss both Medrano or Sordoni from the Pumas?

We're ok in the halves and back row but need to bolster everywhere else for a season or 2 until our young guys are up to starting Super Rugby standard.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I'm prepared to give Penney the benefit of the doubt at this stage. If the 2022 squad is still ordinary then it's definitely on him.

There are still plenty of holes to fill with plenty of cap room as I think a fair few of the new recruits are on 1yr terms..

Abel
Caird
Dempsey (already gone..)
Faulkner
Foketi
Moeroa
Talaki
Whetton
Wykes
Cotton

Still keep the young guys with High ceilings and fill the new spots with a few O/S wallabies or Super Rugby players not getting starts.

10 spots to be filled. I'd be looking at this lot - a mix of Wallabies, Super Rugby players o/s starting teams and a few o/s but oz qualified.

Tolu Latu
Izaak Rodda
Samu Kerevi
Taqele Naiyarovoro

All wallabies and good enough to potentially play in RWC. Definitely a carrot to dangle there.

A big bodied winger/Centre from Super Rugby or NRL like Solomone Kata unfortunately Moeroa is a fail, but same type of profile Maybe not an NRL backrower.. an o/s back with speed and strength. Even a Sefa Naivalu
A hard nosed XL Lock like Arnold or Coleman or Skelton. Even Steve Cummins is an upgrade on what we have..Matt Philip is also a Sydney boy as is LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto)
An experienced TH prop Both AB and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) are LH. How did we miss both Medrano or Sordoni from the Pumas?

We're ok in the halves and back row but need to bolster everywhere else for a season or 2 until our young guys are up to starting Super Rugby standard.

That presumes the $$$$ are there to spend, and I don't think that is possible until we get a home ground

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It will be interesting to see what the 2020 financials show when they are released.

I don't know whether they could afford to spend more money on players but it seems like they might be just trying to weather the couple of seasons where they will really struggle to get crowds with no home ground and hope for the best.

In terms of recruitment, we're clearly not willing to spend the sort of money that it takes to recruit a decent players. It's a team of kids with a few journeymen thrown in.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Quite happy to see Perese on the sideline, we may end up with a more effective centre pairing, because we need more drive and front foot ball

Be careful what you wish for- we're going to end up with a centre combination of Newsome and Foketi.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm prepared to give Penney the benefit of the doubt at this stage. If the 2022 squad is still ordinary then it's definitely on him.

Abel
Caird
Dempsey (already gone..)
Faulkner
Foketi
Moeroa
Talaki
Whetton
Wykes
Cotton

10 spots to be filled. I'd be looking at this lot - a mix of Wallabies, Super Rugby players o/s starting teams and a few o/s but oz qualified.

Tolu Latu
Izaak Rodda
Samu Kerevi
Taqele Naiyarovoro

A big bodied winger/Centre from Super Rugby or NRL like Solomone Kata unfortunately Moeroa is a fail, but same type of profile Maybe not an NRL backrower.. an o/s back with speed and strength. Even a Sefa Naivalu

Whetton has been signed for 2 years.

Keveri would be on a fortune and would go back to the reds if he ever came back.

I would love to sign Rodda

Alex Ross (28)
Be careful what you wish for- we're going to end up with a centre combination of Newsome and Foketi.
Foketi has a bung shoulder. We are literally looking at Edmed starting with Newsome in the centre’s and an empty 22 jersey...