• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Christy Doran on he Tweeter

Waratahs captain Jake Gordon out for 6-8 weeks with ankle.
Centre Joey Walton expected to be out longer. Seriously short on leadership. Alex Newsome likely to skipper, shift to 13 + partner Moeroa. Hooker recruit Dave Porecki has leadership experience from London Irish too.

Two key units out for the season

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's such a bitter blow losing Gordon. Only player outside Tizanno who looked to be Super level.

Plus this was his season to really grab a hold of and make a Wallaby jersey his own.

Just fucking shit all round.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I had a bad feeling Penney was going to pick Newsome as Captain.

Bloody hell what the hell does Penney see in Newsome? Average player.

Newsome is a solid pro, and I understand a talker and one of the few players in the team whose voice has broken

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
Our forwards getting monstered by the Reds, about to face an even stronger forwards pack.

Our biggest strongest players in our backline injured.

Saturday scares me. But I'll still be screaming and cheering at my TV in full voice.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Newsome is a solid pro, and I understand a talker and one of the few players in the team whose voice has broken

This is being very kind to Newsome - he is an exceptionally average Super Rugby player. With the depth of talent that should be available to the Tah's, someone like Newsome should be a fringe squad player at best.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)
I am backing the Tahs in this week. One poor game doesn't make a season. The Reds backline were very good- almost the Wallabies backline so when handling errors were made, they pounced and capitalised. Nothing like a loss to refocus attention - I mean we did beat Qld 45-12 only 6 months ago and they turned it around pretty quickly.

Swinton adds some grit and will rally those around him. The Swinton/Tizzano combination is an exciting prospect - both are tackling machines. Moerea adds some weight to the backline, which is still pretty good. Hopefully Harrison can run some good lines off his big frame. Grant is a handy 9 who distributes the ball well. I would also pick Triston Reilly off the bench - a very quick and elusive runner. Now is the time to really test the depth.

I would back Holmesy for captain as Sinclair is generally off the bench. Maddocks as VC.

And remember, its only a game........

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Yeah, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) probably should be captain. He played pretty deep into the game last week and must be close in seniority.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I am backing the Tahs in this week. One poor game doesn't make a season. The Reds backline were very good- almost the Wallabies backline so when handling errors were made, they pounced and capitalised. Nothing like a loss to refocus attention - I mean we did beat Qld 45-12 only 6 months ago and they turned it around pretty quickly.

Swinton adds some grit and will rally those around him. The Swinton/Tizzano combination is an exciting prospect - both are tackling machines. Moerea adds some weight to the backline, which is still pretty good. Hopefully Harrison can run some good lines off his big frame. Grant is a handy 9 who distributes the ball well. I would also pick Triston Reilly off the bench - a very quick and elusive runner. Now is the time to really test the depth.

I would back Holmesy for captain as Sinclair is generally off the bench. Maddocks as VC.

And remember, its only a game....
I salute your optimism!
Grant is a major downgrade at 9, in a team that desperately needs an experienced head to guide them around the park.
If Moerea has to make lots of decisions in defence, last week might look like a season highlight.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Obviously Grant is a downgrade, that’s why he was on the bench last week. The last couple of tries last week were from misreads at 12 resulting in the reds going in virtually untouched. Let’s hope Moeroas go forward in attack negates his lack of lateral movement in defence.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Penney really likes Newsome for some stupid reason.

But to name him as Captain would cement Penney as Gibson level stupid

One of the issues Penney brought up last year was the lack of talk, it appears he adds the leadership dynamic and I think he could be described as a team man who isn't spectacular at anything, but solid and reliable at everything. He won't be why we lose, he will pass, make his tackles, make some yards and work hard to support

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...injury-lay-offs-revealed-20210223-p574zt.html

“Nobby has been a leader the whole year,” Waratahs winger James Ramm said of Newsome. “He’s been around a fair while, he’s well respected by all the boys. He’ll have no trouble stepping up there.

“He’s been vice-captain before and he’s a massive leader within the team. The amount of talk he gets through on the field and at training is crazy.”
............................... winton, who has lived with Newsome, endorsed his leadership qualities.

“He has an immense amount of knowledge,” Swinton said. “I don’t know if you could hear him [at training] but he’s definitely loud. He has seamlessly transitioned into that.”