• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I'm thinking Moeroa (I assume he will be fit, I thought Penney said he 'just had a niggle') will be at 12, Newsome at 13 and Nawaqanitawase at 14. I'm assuming Grant will start at 9, bringing Robertson onto the bench, with Edmed and I guess Reilly the other two bench backs, unless Donaldson is declared fit. Looks a pretty good backline for Under 15's!
Would be keen to see either Douglas or Williams to get a crack at Lock, thought the two kiwis offered nothing, particularly Whetton. There's usually a good reason why somebody can't get a Super spot in NZ! As I said in an earlier post, I would give Porecki a starting spot.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If we're lucky we'll have a backline of:​
Grant​
Harrison​
Ramm​
Moeroa​
Newsome​
Nawaqanitawase​
Maddocks​
Robertson, Edmed, Donaldson​
Doesn't sound at all positive on Gordon and Walton. Would be surprised if we see either of them back until the back half of the comp.​

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Good thought BA, however I think it's a luxury we don't have! I guess you're suggesting Edmed. which does create that second playmaker, but gee you're short on fire-power!

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
Ik it will be probs be Newsome announced C tommorrow (real Daniel Halangalu circa 2012 vibes) but would be an amazing opportunity for HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) to get thrown into it (with Newsome taking over when he goes off). Gordon's going to be the captain for the next few seasons at least (even when Hooper returns) so makes sense IMO to give early leadership opportunity to who I see as a future Tahs captain.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I wonder how much the stadium issue is really effecting their bottom line since the Roosters, Waratahs and Sydney FC all welcomed the new stadium once their compensation demands were met. It’s commercial in confidence, but all 3 teams were in uproar about compensation initially, and then welcomed the project once those demands were met.

But it was also rumoured that this compensation might come in the form of funding for a high performance facility, which the Waratahs received 12 months after the stadium decision was announced. So maybe that is their compensation, in which case the bottom line would be impacted.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Even though I'm a dyed in the wool Reds supporter I cannot help but feel for the Tahs. I thought this season would see a real restart for you guys. Looks like it is just going from bad to worse with the injury news after the limp performance on the weekend(fyi I called a Tahs upset in the game day thread).

Tight 5 were walked over by a very good looking Reds pack. I think your big issue here is the 2nd row which directly led to your issues at scrum time. The 2nd row were completely invisible and ineffective. If Timani is coming back I would be throwing cash at him and Enever to get them in this year. I think the back row were fine in the weekend, Harris finding his feet but had some good strong carries and hits, Tizzano was arguably best on ground for Tahs and Dempsey tried his heart out.... was a constant pest. Obviously outplayed by their counterparts though.

With Perese out I think you guys need to start Moeroa. I thought Perese was playing well before his brain fart after trying to make up for a loose carry. You have no other go forward in the backline and I thought Moeroa was good at the end of last year when he got a chance. Perese and Gordon were the only 2 who could have held their head high before they both left the field. Ramp, Walton and Maddocks all underwhelming. Hopefully they will be better for the hitout this weekend.

Poreki (?) was good too. I've been singing Horton's praises but that was probably the worst I've seen him play.

Hopefully for you guys that was a performance full of teething problems. Going to be tough with a few of your better backs out but hopefully the others stand up and your piggies find their feet this week.

Reactions: TSR

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
So no journo asked the question before the last game? It would be nice for each club to list the wounded somewhere and keep it updated, the old "not available for selection" list

100% it's things like this that keep the fans engaged. They got the naming of the teams right (same time each week not this 24hrs before KO nonsense). Take some ques from the NFL

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My brother said the eels every week during the season have an video interview with the head trainer providing details/update of all the players in rehab

doesn't sound so hard

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
A lot of teams and sports consider it a personal matter. It's the player's business, not the public's.

Then you've got Ice Hockey who only say "upper body injury" or "lower body injury" because it's even considered somewhat tactical, a possible weakness. They give no further details AT ALL. Only give return expectations when the person is skating again & when they're a day or two out from returning in full.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
AFL clubs do it too. The Rebels used to do it under Tony McGahan.

They look like they're doing it again. Hopefully it will become a regular thing.

https://melbournerebels.rugby/news/2021/02/20/melbourne-rebels-injury-update

A lot of teams and sports consider it a personal matter. It's the player's business, not the public's.

Then you've got Ice Hockey who only say "upper body injury" or "lower body injury" because it's even considered somewhat tactical, a possible weakness. They give no further details AT ALL. Only give return expectations when the person is skating again & when they're a day or two out from returning in full.

Maybe someone at Rebels HQ is a hockey fan? See the link above :)