• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I've definitely seen Newsome miss his fair share of tackles - so let's not pretend he's Rob Horne/ AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in his level of dependency.

He's been selected as captain because he's nearly the last man standing- it's more a reflection of the (lack of) maturity and depth in the tahs squad than anything else.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I've definitely seen Newsome miss his fair share of tackles - so let's not pretend he's Rob Horne/ AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in his level of dependency.

He's been selected as captain because he's nearly the last man standing- it's more a reflection of the (lack of) maturity and depth in the tahs squad than anything else.

And Penney likes him

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Obviously Grant is a downgrade, that’s why he was on the bench last week. The last couple of tries last week were from misreads at 12 resulting in the reds going in virtually untouched. Let’s hope Moeroas go forward in attack negates his lack of lateral movement in defence.

The misreads in defence were because we had a completely new 10/12 combination, who have probably never even trained together in those positions (10- Edmund, 12 - Harrison), any vaguely experience inside centre (e.g. Moeroa) would be an improvement.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The criticism of making Newsome captain is a bit strange to me. With the injuries we have he's clearly going to remain in the starting side, he's quite experienced and clearly provides some leadership on the field. He was vice captain all of last season.

He's not being named captain because Penney thinks he's the best player in the team.

If anything, Gordon didn't do a good job as captain last week. We needed to calm things down rather than try and increase the tempo and take quick taps after getting scored on repeatedly.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The criticism of making Newsome captain is a bit strange to me. With the injuries we have he's clearly going to remain in the starting side, he's quite experienced and clearly provides some leadership on the field. He was vice captain all of last season.

He's not being named captain because Penney thinks he's the best player in the team.

If anything, Gordon didn't do a good job as captain last week. We needed to calm things down rather than try and increase the tempo and take quick taps after getting scored on repeatedly.

He should not have been made vice captain last year either. Just because Penney keeps picking him doesn't mean he is a good player either.

Gordon was trying to spark a team that was going nowhere.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He should not have been made vice captain last year either. Just because Penney keeps picking him doesn't mean he is a good player either.

Gordon was trying to spark a team that was going nowhere.

I'm not really sure why you see such a connection between the player's ability relative to their teammates and whether or not they're a leader within the team.

I agree with others that Harry Johnson-Holmes seems like a reasonable alternative choice as captain. I really don't have a problem with it being Newsome though. He's clearly going to remain in our starting XV with Walton out.

In my view it was poor decision making by Gordon. We were playing like headless chickens, throwing the ball around and dropping it and leaking points. A step back to take some points and settle everything down would have been much better in my view. We completely lacked any sense of composure.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)

He made two quick taps from memory: one was very early in the game inside our half and nearly resulted in a clean line break from Perese, and the other was the quick tap where he was held up over the line from one player in an offside position.

I don't think any of these were glaringly poor decisions, and were probably part of the team's agreed tactics from the coaching staff etc. The coaches were probably quite aware they didn't have the pack to win games through set-piece and looking to leverage the disorganised defence.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He made two quick taps from memory: one was very early in the game inside our half and nearly resulted in a clean line break from Perese, and the other was the quick tap where he was held up over the line from one player in an offside position.

I don't think any of these were glaringly poor decisions, and were probably part of the team's agreed tactics from the coaching staff etc. The coaches were probably quite aware they didn't have the pack to win games through set-piece and looking to leverage the disorganised defence.

Yep, that's right.

There were a couple of other penalties where we opted for 5m lineouts and one for a scrum where we got demolished.

I would have taken the points in those situations to close the gap a bit and calm things down.

I agree that they very well could have been designated tactics from the coaching staff but likewise, I'm sure they're also coached to play to the conditions of the game.

The Grey Man

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hopefully just an off game for him and the others. I thought he was great last year.

Seagulling show pony who is not particularly good at the basic meat and two vegetables of being a Hooker.

The best hooker in NSW was with Reds last year, and the Rebels this year. Why do we constantly let the best NSW Talent slip through our fingers?

Ed Craig throws consistently good at lineout time, always makes his tackles, and is a reliable if unspectacular ball carrier.
Does he need to get a injury cover place at Brumbies, and the Force, before Waratahs begrudgingly offer him a contract?

Woodies will struggle in Shute Shield without him this year.

The current batch of contracted Waratahs Hookers (Cotton, Poreki, and Horton) are very average players at best, each with significant limitations in aspects of their overall game.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seagulling show pony who is not particularly good at the basic meat and two vegetables of being a Hooker.

The best hooker in NSW was with Reds last year, and the Rebels this year. Why do we constantly let the best NSW Talent slip through our fingers?

Ed Craig throws consistently good at lineout time, always makes his tackles, and is a reliable if unspectacular ball carrier.
Does he need to get a injury cover place at Brumbies, and the Force, before Waratahs begrudgingly offer him a contract?

The current batch of contracted Waratahs Hookers (Cotton, Poreki, and Horton) are very average players at best, each with significant limitations in aspects of their overall game.

You realise that every team plays their hooker out wide in attack. This has been common across world rugby for a fair amount of time now.

Horton had an excellent season last year.

Joe Cotton is 21 and played Australian under 20s and I think is highly promising.

Porecki is a veteran who looks like a reasonable option this season.

I like Ed Craig too but I think you're overstating his ability.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I have been on about this before regarding Hooper, but the same thing is relevant to Newsome. Captaincy is about leadership, and while we can watch what a player does on the paddock with regard to their ability to play, there is no way someone sitting and watching a television screen can determine who the natural leaders are. In any group, business, sporting, service clubs etc, there are people who are leaders, those around them look to them as leaders, and they quickly fall into leadership positions.

In the case of Newsome, who some here dismiss as a leader because of the way he plays (personally I think he is a sound Super player, no more, no less, but that's not the point here), Penney obviously sees him as a leader, and reading the press others in the squad agree. Unless you are with the squad during the week, there is now way you could assess this.

Rugby Mum 2

Bill Watson (15)

Nice post Mr Craig.

Alex Ross (28)
I have been on about this before regarding Hooper, but the same thing is relevant to Newsome. Captaincy is about leadership, and while we can watch what a player does on the paddock with regard to their ability to play, there is no way someone sitting and watching a television screen can determine who the natural leaders are. In any group, business, sporting, service clubs etc, there are people who are leaders, those around them look to them as leaders, and they quickly fall into leadership positions.

In the case of Newsome, who some here dismiss as a leader because of the way he plays (personally I think he is a sound Super player, no more, no less, but that's not the point here), Penney obviously sees him as a leader, and reading the press others in the squad agree. Unless you are with the squad during the week, there is now way you could assess this.

Every team needs someone who stitches things together. Who doesn’t look flash individually but makes the whole unit work. Newsome took over in the centre’s and Foketi was dropped last year because they needed his voice in there directing traffic. I also don’t rate Newsome and think he’s bench at best if we are purely looking at individual talent and ability. But perhaps he’s the dependable peg you start with while the backline is a bunch of lost rookies.

Looking at the Reds and you would wonder how Hamish Stewart keeps his spot with all the talent they have. But he plays an understated hand in keeping things operating.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
Every team needs someone who stitches things together. Who doesn’t look flash individually but makes the whole unit work. Newsome took over in the centre’s and Foketi was dropped last year because they needed his voice in there directing traffic. I also don’t rate Newsome and think he’s bench at best if we are purely looking at individual talent and ability. But perhaps he’s the dependable peg you start with while the backline is a bunch of lost rookies.

Looking at the Reds and you would wonder how Hamish Stewart keeps his spot with all the talent they have. But he plays an understated hand in keeping things operating.

Again very generous to Newsome but understand the analogy.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm not really sure why you see such a connection between the player's ability relative to their teammates and whether or not they're a leader within the team.

I agree with others that Harry Johnson-Holmes seems like a reasonable alternative choice as captain. I really don't have a problem with it being Newsome though. He's clearly going to remain in our starting XV with Walton out.

In my view it was poor decision making by Gordon. We were playing like headless chickens, throwing the ball around and dropping it and leaking points. A step back to take some points and settle everything down would have been much better in my view. We completely lacked any sense of composure.

The attack plan of hot potato football would be Whittaker and Penney.

On Newsome, I am yet to see him take charge and lead even when he was vice Captain last year.

But at the end of the day Penney loves him and most likely will choose him.