• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Pat Howard? That’s cruel.
Agree that’s cruel many rugby players would agree with you but even more cricketers would.

Also let me just say the Waratahs are travelling bad still support then but if Pat Howard in anyway becomes involved that will be the end for me.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Tom Decent is on Stan saying Penny has full support of the board.

Read into that what you will.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Maybe. And I get it in the sense that as a fan you’d like your team to have the best player 1 - 15.

But I’m not convinced he’ll be better than McReight and if he is it’ll probably be nominal.

I kinda feel like we should back the guy we’ve got.

Tizzano better than McReight - not until Hell freezes over.

Reactions: TSR

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Can someone kindly define what this connection is and what it’s supposed to be. I have always been confused, what are the Sydney Swans, Brisbane Broncos, Melbourne Storm, Richmond Tigers and Crusaders offering the amateur clubs in their region that the Tahs aren’t? I have a suspicion this connection is just something talked about without ever been defined, a large portion of it is an avalanche of negativity based on nothing but bemoaning because it’s the thing to do

R3 this YouTube clip might explain it for you and the importance of grass roots and my dislike for certain Kiwi guns for hire who disregard this aspect of the game in Australia.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tom Decent is on Stan saying Penny has full support of the board.

Read into that what you will.

I really don’t think Penny is the problem as to why tahs are bottom feeders (ladder wise) or why fan support for tahs games (especially home game gate attendance) at lowest ebb...many others spring to mind for why tahs are where they are (which is broke, lacking star power and not getting fans through the gates)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Can’t help but feel a clear long term strategy for rebuilding fortunes of nswru pro rugby is needed.. marketing, fan engagement, recruitment, regional positioning (western Sydney strategy), etc

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I really don’t think Penny is the problem as to why tahs are bottom feeders (ladder wise) or why fan support for tahs games (especially home game gate attendance) at lowest ebb.many others spring to mind for why tahs are where they are (which is broke, lacking star power and not getting fans through the gates)
It's not like our ticket sales were great back when we had Folau, Skelton, Beale and Ashley-Cooper. But fans want wins, and the Tahs have been losing in a boring way. Most casual fans aren't going to traipse out to Parramatta or squint from the distance at the SCG at the moment.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
R3 this YouTube clip might explain it for you and the importance of grass roots and my dislike for certain Kiwi guns for hire who disregard this aspect of the game in Australia.

It doesn’t mention anything about grassroots, local products or production lines. It doesn’t talk about fan engagement through a means of another club. If anything it justifies more the notion that Tahs v SS is made up of imaginary negativity. The guys example on it is a friend supporting a team because of an nfl video game and him trying to convince a niece to support the Knicks by buying gear.

US sports is the worst example of connection between local pathways and a pro club.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Pat Howard? That’s cruel.

Now Pat's a mate, but I will try to say this as impartially as I can but he has one of the finest rugby brains of anyone I've come in contact with. Still remains one of the most skilful and smart players I ever saw as well. He's on the board up here in QLD, and I am glad he is. I don't think he has interest in coaching at high level anymore but I know he helps out his best mate Mick Heenan (record breaking UQ Coach) whenever needed.

The Tahs could do a lot worse....but it won't happen regardless.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The Tahs have so many problems across the board that it is both sad and scary.

How the hell are we so broke? Ok stadium but then don't pick stadiums we don't draw at. Play there once if shit crowd, move on and don't keep playing there. Duh.

Blaming Covid is laughable. Every bloody team went through it and they still signed and re-signed players. The Tahs barely did.

Having a K mart team was always going to be stupid but you don't have to have wallabies to win but you do need the right kind of experienced heads spread across the team that have been there and done that to help take the pressure off the kids coming through. The problem is Penney bought poorly. Wykes? really???

Penney stated that he made the decisions on who to keep and who to let go so the buck rests with him. Yes he had a limited budget but money was saved on not paying Hooper. He still bought poorly.

The team has no clue in attack or defence. Lacks go forward and look lost.

Even when Reddy was sent to the bin I could not see the Tahs scoring a try. The game plan was hot potato footy (Thanks Whittaker), dropsies, and pointless kicking. There was no threat of a decent attacking raid.

Penney's game plan (If the Tahs have one) is not working.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Well, to be fair I don’t think you can expect them to say publicly - ‘yeah, look - we know we’re shit. But we just want to try and play as well as we can so someone comes along with a cheque book and picks a few of us up’.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The players? Or the Board? ;)
I think rugby is looking a lot healthier and on the so climb back up but biggest problem stopping the climb back up is the biggest rugby state has a pro team the fans no longer seem to want to engage with.

There really needs to be a strategic review to look at how can recover the situation. I am not sure it is just results on the field...but no doubt part of what would help get somewhere