• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2021

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Swinton didn’t. Gordon got injured. Perese got sent off. Walton got injured. He had two locks who he’d signed in December.

Anyway - we’ve been here before. You obviously think he had enough resources and time. I don’t. I struggle to think of any time over super rugby anyone has been handed a bigger pile of shit and expected to get a result (and there were some pretty crap Reds & SA teams over that time).

Anyhow, it’s irrelevant. You got your wish and, honestly, I hope your right - I want to see these young guys kick on.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Great follow-up by Ben Batger in the SMH today: agrees Donaldson played well, but just a disagreement over selection policy. That is to say, the player put in a great performance, but he shouldn't have been selected.

Nevertheless, well done Batger on putting it all on the record for us to read. I spent too many years reading Grumbles Growden's lame "guess which Shute Shield coach doesn't like the Tahs selection policy" dispatches on Friday mornings.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Great follow-up by Ben Batger in the SMH today: agrees Donaldson played well, but just a disagreement over selection policy. That is to say, the player put in a great performance, but he shouldn't have been selected.
So he's conceded really nothing.

Did he want his boy Edmed selected when he didn't want to select him himself?

How about that "selection policy"?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
So he's conceded really nothing.

Did he want his boy Edmed selected when he didn't want to select him himself?

How about that "selection policy"?

His rationale there was that they were going to be without him for the next two weekends so wanted to bed down the combo that would be playing those games.

I don't agree with that. Part of the unwritten contract between club rugby and the professional game is that the pro players should be parachuted straight into the club sides when they're available.

I feel like a big aspect of the whole rant is that Batger feels that his decision not to start Edmed may have impacted on him not getting the starting role with the Tahs and is trying to deflect his guilt.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)

Nevertheless, well done Batger on putting it all on the record for us to read. I spent too many years reading Grumbles Growden's lame "guess which Shute Shield coach doesn't like the Tahs selection policy" dispatches on Friday mornings.

Take your point and agree re: putting an opinion out on record, but I still think he picked the wrong target at the wrong time. And surely the good performance justifies the selection. Reads like Donaldson handled it really well.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Take your point and agree re: putting an opinion out on record, but I still think he picked the wrong target at the wrong time. And surely the good performance justifies the selection. Reads like Donaldson handled it really well.
Read how Donaldson stated he used it as motivation. Credit to him to play as well as he did and react to it in this way. Saids a lot about his character.

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)
I would like to see Donaldson continue at 10 even when Harrison is fit. I remember him playing for Waverley and the kid had some talent. I always thought he should of been given more of an opportunity at super level. Harrison, has had far more opportunities yet hasn't really nailed the position. Donaldson in both games looked really composed and with more opportunities and the right coaching could, I believe, develop into a world class 10. Harrison plays to deep whereas Donaldson plays flatter. By the way I never went to Waverley so I am not being bias, I just follow both GPS and CAS rugby. I followed Edmed from Trinity as well however Donaldson seemed more naturally talented in my opinion.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I would like to see Donaldson continue at 10 even when Harrison is fit. I remember him playing for Waverley and the kid had some talent. I always thought he should of been given more of an opportunity at super level. Harrison, has had far more opportunities yet hasn't really nailed the position. Donaldson in both games looked really composed and with more opportunities and the right coaching could, I believe, develop into a world class 10. Harrison plays to deep whereas Donaldson plays flatter. By the way I never went to Waverley so I am not being bias, I just follow both GPS and CAS rugby. I followed Edmed from Trinity as well however Donaldson seemed more naturally talented in my opinion.

There is room for both of them as either 10/12 or 10/15, ironically it’s then a good position to be in to work out what to do with Maddocks or Foketi. Newsome is the expendable one in the current backline though, and Tane can either stay on the bench or at Milner.

Trebla

Frank Row (1)
Really nice flow and continuity in the backline the last few games. They made good ground every time it went wide. If we had fast wingers it would have been even better. The forwards are sloppy at the breakdown, conceding a lot of turnovers and penalties. I am not convinced the forward pack is as fit as it should be. The clean out is slow and no one is ever confident the ball is coming out. Will Harrison has been a pretty good investment over the past two years and I wouldn't like to throw that away. But there is no denying what Donaldson brings. How about Maddox to wing and Harrison to 15? Maddox has just started to play well at fullback but for this team I think that would be the best combo, leaving the very good centres to keep going.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
IMHO Harrison is a better runner with the ball, and has a better kicking game. Donaldson, OTH, has better game management and is a stronger defender. Personally I would prefer Donaldson, but would like to see Harrison retained, and yes, maybe at 15.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Tahs a 0-8 season.

When is Roger Davis resigning, gone from Super Rugby Champs (with NZ & SA) to not winning a game in an AUS only competition.

Roger don’t you think you shoulder responsibility for this decline?

Also as a word of warning Roger Davis is associated with the companies below, associate with them a your own risk.

‘He is currently the Chair of AIG Australia and Charter Hall Retail REIT and is a director of ARGO Investments Ltd the large listed Investment Company’

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
Was impressed with Nawaqanitawase on the weekend. He looks to have put on some bulk with his time off the field and didn't look to be pushing offloads like he would often do in the past. I also didn't notice any of the poor tackling which plagued his game earlier in the season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Donaldson has gone well but it has to be remembered that Harrison got to play less than a game with Gordon this season.

Jake Gordon has made the biggest difference to the Tahs since he came back from injury and it certainly assists the 10 having him there.

I'm still of the view that Harrison is a bit better at 10. It's close though and they have different strengths.