• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Don't forget the swathe of rugby dads and mums who drive with their kids to the game, and go home straight after.
There s a lot of sub-groups in the rugby market, not just those looking for a night/afternoon out.
Bankwest is quite accessible by car from many suburbs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Don't forget the swathe of rugby dads and mums who drive with their kids to the game, and go home straight after.
There s a lot of sub-groups in the rugby market, not just those looking for a night/afternoon out.
Pretty much the demographic centre of Great Sydney.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Not as if sfs exactly the perfect venue. I think from being close to the game from viewing perspective Bankwest hard to beat. As inner west person Bankwest or sfs both equally accessible.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Not as if sfs exactly the perfect venue. I think from being close to the game from viewing perspective Bankwest hard to beat. As inner west person Bankwest or sfs both equally accessible.

I think the new SFS will be equal to Parra Stadium in terms of quality of viewing, overall I think it will be a superior stadium

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I think the new SFS will be equal to Parra Stadium in terms of quality of viewing, overall I think it will be a superior stadium
No doubt. It will be on another level and more accessible, have superior pre game option's to the Sydney rugby stronghold of Eastern Suburbs and Northern Beaches demographic. But commbank is still is a bloody good stadium. Give it a go:)

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Hi Guys,

I have decided to renew my Tahs membership, and since I am a new dad, I will do my best to get my boy into rugby and the Waratahs.

Also, I'm hoping to come on board this season and contribute to this forum as much as I can.

Last season was tough. I debated whether to renew this year; I thought about having a break and, at one point, just forgetting about the whole thing. Well, I love this team too much, so please Tahs show me something this year :)

My two cents on Parramatta stadium and the area; I worked there for 7 plus years and can honestly say that the area changed a lot, lots of bars and restaurants, plus the stadium is a ten-minute walk from the station (From memory). Also, the worst part of my trip to Parramatta was catching the bus from Bondi Beach to Bondi junction (To catch the train); the trip was super quick.

My issues:

When was the last time (If ever) that we won a game at Bankwest? That Fiji Drau game is a HUGE banana skin game, we should have played the game somewhere else - For a bit of luck :)

I have messaged the Tahs about 3 times now asking when/where I can buy the new jersey(?)... Crickets so far

No major sponsor, a big worry

Go Tahs!!!

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Hi Guys,

I have decided to renew my Tahs membership, and since I am a new dad, I will do my best to get my boy into rugby and the Waratahs.

Also, I'm hoping to come on board this season and contribute to this forum as much as I can.

Last season was tough. I debated whether to renew this year; I thought about having a break and, at one point, just forgetting about the whole thing. Well, I love this team too much, so please Tahs show me something this year :)

My two cents on Parramatta stadium and the area; I worked there for 7 plus years and can honestly say that the area changed a lot, lots of bars and restaurants, plus the stadium is a ten-minute walk from the station (From memory). Also, the worst part of my trip to Parramatta was catching the bus from Bondi Beach to Bondi junction (To catch the train); the trip was super quick.

My issues:

When was the last time (If ever) that we won a game at Bankwest? That Fiji Drau game is a HUGE banana skin game, we should have played the game somewhere else - For a bit of luck :)

I have messaged the Tahs about 3 times now asking when/where I can buy the new jersey(?)... Crickets so far

No major sponsor, a big worry

Go Tahs!!!
Welcome Jamie, I think you'll find this a good place to ease the pain of being a Tahs fan...

I think you're right, not sure we've won a game since Bankwest/Commbank Stadium opened, which is a bit depressing.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thank you

It’s going to be hard to get people over there if they can’t win at that stadium.
Being nomads with rebuild of sfs come at worst time with recent performances on top of that. I still gone to tahs games every season and probably will again this season. Tahs vs drua kick off game is for sure one targeting and will drag mates to it as be cool to go to drua first game. I am one of the few thousand who still drag themselves to tahs games albeit only 1 game last season vs quite a few year before. Smaller crowds work better at stadiums like Bankwest then bigger grounds like scg. Best way for tahs to get back fans other then having home ground (which won’t happen till 2023) is to start winning. Realistically as rebuilding and still short of a few stars getting some wins and making final 8 would be target. Avoiding the wooden spoon and getting a couple of wins probably my realistic target.

Last edited:

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
Yep, aiming low this year. We have to be realistic.

Things I'm hoping for

3 Wins within Aus Conference
1 against Kiwi
No blowouts! The boys need to keep fighting, They will lose games but fight until the end
Consistency in selections, guys need to be given a chance. What is the name of the guy that plays for Northen Suburbs, apparently a try-scoring machine in SS but struggled in that game against the blues? Don't throw him in the deep end, give him time to adjust from the bench

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Yep, aiming low this year. We have to be realistic.

Things I'm hoping for

3 Wins within Aus Conference
1 against Kiwi
No blowouts! The boys need to keep fighting, They will lose games but fight until the end
Consistency in selections, guys need to be given a chance. What is the name of the guy that plays for Northen Suburbs, apparently a try-scoring machine in SS but struggled in that game against the blues? Don't throw him in the deep end, give him time to adjust from the bench
I'm aiming lower in terms of wins. Given the way all the AU teams performed against NZ last year, I reckon a Tahs win against NZ opposition this year is probably too much to hope for. Agree no blowouts.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I kinda feel you’ll be more chance of a win against a NZ opposition then avoiding blow outs altogether.

The Tahs core team is actually pretty sound. No disrespect to Tizzano, who was terrific in his first full year, but Hooper is several classes above. Combined with Swinton and either Warren-Vosayaco/Harris they should be able to match any back row in the comp. Their locks are likely to be miles above what they got out of their locks last year.

Their backs are a talented, but still raw group. If Gordon can back up his Super form last year they will have plenty of points in them. What they need to do is learn to defend as a cohesive unit. An extra year of experience and additional familiarity will be a big help, but the coaching team also needs to get results here.

The way I see them overall is having the talent to beat a lot of teams on their day when things click, but still have enough youth, inexperience and, in particular, lack of depth that they will suffer some blow outs. I don’t necessarily think that means they will give up in those games, but the best teams have too much fire power for them at this stage of their development (IMO). Will be happy if they prove me wrong.

In any case I look forward to watching the progress of the team. They have some tremendous young talent and can play some sparkling rugby when they get it right.

Reactions: dru

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
1. Bell 2. Porecki 3. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes)
4. Hanigan 5. Holloway
6. Swinton 8. Vosayaco 7. Hoops
9. Gordon 10. Harrison 11. Ramm 12. Foketi 13. Perese 14. Nawaqanitawase 15. Donaldson

16. Horton 17. Faulkner 18. Smith 19. Douglas 20. Sinclair 21. Grant 22. Newsome 23. Funa

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
That's one thing I've loved about the squad since the mass exoduses. The young new players have persistently kept fighting and playing their utmost until the final whistle. I've seen plenty of blowout scores, but rarely dropped shoulders & giving up / clock watching. We may not have been good the last few years, but that aspect at least has kept me proud of the squad.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Home ground location confirmed

Round 1: Waratahs v Fijian Drua, Friday 18 February, CommBank Stadium
Round 2: Waratahs v Reds, Friday 25 February, Leichhardt Oval
Round 5: Waratahs v Rebels, Saturday 19 March, Sydney Cricket Ground
Round 9: Waratahs v Force, Saturday 16 April, Leichhardt Oval
Round 11: Waratahs v Crusaders, Saturday 30 April, Leichhardt Oval
Round 13: Waratahs v Hurricanes, Saturday 14 May, Leichhardt Oval
Round 15: Waratahs v Blues, Saturday 28 May, Leichhardt Oval

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)

Beaten to it by Adam. Here's a link to the details.

Brilliant decision IMHO. SydneyFC took their games from feeling empty to having full grounds with great atmosphere, by moving to Kogarah Oval while the SFS was rebuilt. Waratahs moving to Leichardt is a great move IMHO. I just hope they can set up a video screen for replays & scores. That was the only thing missing from the two Rebels matches I watched there last year.

I know I'll be doing my part in making it loud!

Seems weird there being no Brookvale Oval nor Wollongong Stadium matches.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Home ground location confirmed

Round 1: Waratahs v Fijian Drua, Friday 18 February, CommBank Stadium
Round 2: Waratahs v Reds, Friday 25 February, Leichhardt Oval
Round 5: Waratahs v Rebels, Saturday 19 March, Sydney Cricket Ground
Round 9: Waratahs v Force, Saturday 16 April, Leichhardt Oval
Round 11: Waratahs v Crusaders, Saturday 30 April, Leichhardt Oval
Round 13: Waratahs v Hurricanes, Saturday 14 May, Leichhardt Oval
Round 15: Waratahs v Blues, Saturday 28 May, Leichhardt Oval
I am so rapt as Leichhardt oval around the corner for me. I have just seen the number of games I will attend skyrocket hence this season. This is really good move to move tahs to smaller ground as also great oval to be close to the action. I hence with that announced going to buy a tahs membership.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Beaten to it by Adam. Here's a link to the details.

Brilliant decision IMHO. SydneyFC took their games from feeling empty to having full grounds with great atmosphere, by moving to Kogarah Oval while the SFS was rebuilt. Waratahs moving to Leichardt is a great move IMHO. I just hope they can set up a video screen for replays & scores. That was the only thing missing from the two Rebels matches I watched there last year.

I know I'll be doing my part in making it loud!

Seems weird there being no Brookvale Oval nor Wollongong Stadium matches.
Yeh especially since good crowds they have got at brookvale.