• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Vailanu played for Coleman both at Gordon and the LA Giltini's. I expect he'd be on a promise as Coleman is clearly a fan. He's a bloody good footballer in the Latu mould, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the Tah's starting No. 2 at some point this season.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
NSWRU new training facilities at Daceyville are moving along, Tahs will finally be be out of demountables since they left Moore Park a few years back.
IMG_4958.JPG

Last edited:

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Vailanu played for Coleman both at Gordon and the LA Giltini's. I expect he'd be on a promise as Coleman is clearly a fan. He's a bloody good footballer in the Latu mould, I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up as the Tah's starting No. 2 at some point this season.
DC made an interesting point about players stepping up to Super Rugby level in the wondering bear podcast. Wonder who it was aimed at?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I won't try Moana Pasifika as I don't know how many of them can step up to Super level in first year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Anyway I still got the Clan to do!
Positives (struggling to come up with a lot)
1. They got decent tighties without being great, De Groot, Johnstone and Coltman ok, and actually pretty keen om Joh Dickson and Selby-Rickett at lock.
2 9-10 , any team with Nuggy Smith is pretty well off at 9, and if Fakatava is up and running, could well have best 2 x 9s in comp, Miitch Hunt is pretty handy 10
3 Once again if Umaga-Jensen has recovered, he will be part of a pretty handy midfield with Gregory etc.
4 They are the bloody Clan, and always seem to play better than the sum of their parts!!!

Negatives
1 Losing Pari Pari is pretty big
2 Not sure they got depth in a few positions when injuries hit, Marty Banks has got legendary status down in Speightsland, but he really more suited to cruising around in Japan these days. Same as Loosies, I like Tu'u, Frizzell, Renton but not sure you want too many injuries.

Prediction is they may well struggle to make top 8 for finals, as with revised draw and so many NZ derbies early, I thinking they may well be behind 8 ball and a fe injuries always happen in them .
I maybe just hoping they going to let Canes and up ahead of them of course!
This is the Tahs thread Dan.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Commonwealth Bank Stadium (formerly Bankwest) is the place for Round 1 against the Drua. I'd get along to that, provided I'm not on raffle duty that night at the pub.

CommBank Stadium is the official name.

It’s Parramatta Stadium... just like SCG, SFS and Olympic Stadium. I don’t buy into the sponsor business. That’s just me.

It's non-sponsor name is actually Western Sydney Stadium. Parramatta Stadium is what was demolished.

Good food yes. Definitely good enough for a day at the rugby.

Parramatta's issue is more that it lacks decent pubs. There's enough decent restaurants etc. but very little in the way of a good pub.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

It's non-sponsor name is actually Western Sydney Stadium. Parramatta Stadium is what was demolished.

Parramatta's issue is more that it lacks decent pubs. There's enough decent restaurants etc. but very little in the way of a good pub.
Drink at the ground.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Drink at the ground.
Going to the footy for me is more then just the 80mins played, it’s getting beers and dinner with mates beforehand and occasionally a few more after.

Thats why Suncorp and MCG/AAMI are good crowd generators, SCG/SFS also, they have plenty of restaurants and pubs within a reasonable distance.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
SCG/SFS also, they have plenty of restaurants and pubs within a reasonable distance.

People often complain that the SCG/SFS aren't close to a major train station but in terms of amenities in the area they are top tier. The Paddington/Surry Hills pubs and restaurants make it a great location for a night out including a rugby game.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Going to the footy for me is more then just the 80mins played, it’s getting beers and dinner with mates beforehand and occasionally a few more after.

Thats why Suncorp and MCG/AAMI are good crowd generators, SCG/SFS also, they have plenty of restaurants and pubs within a reasonable distance.
3 pubs within 5 minutes of the ground...

Royal Oak 2m walk away
Rose and Crown 5m
Woolpack 5m

Another few within 15m walk

Albion
Commercial
Tollgate

Also dozens of restaurants in Church St Food district within 10m walk

If you're after club price beers, Parramatta Leagues next door with the RSL 10m up the road.

You're don't really have a case against Parramatta on those grounds A84.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

The Woolpack Hotel is the only pub that I know of in Parramatta. It has been around for a couple of hundred years, give or take. No idea what it is like nowadays. It used to be a bloodhouse.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
The Woolpack Hotel is the only pub that I know of in Parramatta. It has been around for a couple of hundred years, give or take. No idea what it is like nowadays. It used to be a bloodhouse.
You clearly haven't been there in a long time. Parramatta is now a vibrant restaurant precinct. Pubs are all in good shape and family friendly. Easily as well presented as many popular pubs around Surry Hills/inner city areas. I'm there to catch up with old mates 3 - 4 times a year and the pub culture there keeps getting better all the time. Good quality pub grub, decent value, clean and safe etc.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
3 pubs within 5 minutes of the ground...

Royal Oak 2m walk away
Rose and Crown 5m
Woolpack 5m

Another few within 15m walk

Albion
Commercial
Tollgate

Also dozens of restaurants in Church St Food district within 10m walk

If you're after club price beers, Parramatta Leagues next door with the RSL 10m up the road.

You're don't really have a case against Parramatta on those grounds A84.
There’s a few, but not really in the same quality/quantity as Surry Hills/Caxton St/Paddington type areas though is it.