• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
Man it is going to be a long season. At least Hoops is back to carry the team (bloke carries every team he's in).

I am excited to see what Vosayaco and Perese can do. Damaging runners.
Anyone else heard the rumour that Hooper isn't playing for the first 6 weeks; something he negotiated as part of his last contract?

Double Agent

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think Brookvale might be unavailable due to redevelopment
Sea Eagles are playing there this season, but perhaps it's not avail until end March which is almost mid-way through season. I see Tahs v Drua April 1 still TBC for ground, no league on there that weekend, hopefully that game will go to Brookie.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Manly v Warringah draw the biggest crowds in SS
Question from an outsider, are these the 2 most supported clubs or is that game just the biggest game?

From down here the perception was always Randwick & Sydney Uni were the biggest in numbers.
Good question. The Rats v the Marlins has become a bit of a cult thing. Doesn't make the Peninsula the centre of the rugby universe.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Without looking it up, I’d think Brookie gets the biggest crowds since the Tahs have been moving around.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I attended the Hurricanes game we should have won if not for the Iceman shanking one in front.

Place has a decent atmosphere but it's a bit hard to see.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Good question. The Rats v the Marlins has become a bit of a cult thing. Doesn't make the Peninsula the centre of the rugby universe.
I never said it was the centre of the rugby universe. The peninsular and Eastern Suburbs clubs are the best supported in Sydney. And have very decent junior numbers.Inner West only has Uni, which despite its success, doesn't draw bumper crowds and has bugger all juniors,that's all I'm saying.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Question from an outsider, are these the 2 most supported clubs or is that game just the biggest game?

From down here the perception was always Randwick & Sydney Uni were the biggest in numbers.
Rats/marlins is a good local derby, same as Easts/Randwick. You’d go as a neutral just for the atmosphere.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
I never said it was the centre of the rugby universe. The peninsular and Eastern Suburbs clubs are the best supported in Sydney. And have very decent junior numbers.Inner West only has Uni, which despite its success, doesn't draw bumper crowds and has bugger all juniors,that's all I'm saying.
You might think that, but the inner west has a massive rugby presence with a significant cohort of solid senior subbies rugby clubs like Drummoyne, Petersham, Briars, Balmain, St Pats Old Boys, Canterbury. Another couple like Hunters Hill and Old Iggy's (Ryde) are just a 20m drive to Leichhardt oval. Shute shield has Uni at Camperdown and West Harbour at Concord. WRT juniors, Petersham, Uni, Wests, Balmain, HH, Ryde, Drummoyne all have strong teams in all age groups. You can then throw in the big GPS schools like St Joeys, Riverview, Newington (even Kings) that are all geographically fairly close to Leichhardt. If you only look at SS as the rugby barometer you might think that the inner west is fairly barren, but if you dig a bit deeper you can see there is a thriving rugby culture under the radar.......

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I'll probably make it to Parramatta for the Drua game, but Leichardt can be a fucking punish to get to on a Friday evening even compared to the SCG - which is a shit spectator appearance, but I understand why they're doing it (agreements etc).

Public transport times are about the same overall, that said.

Shame the new SFS won't be ready in time.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
The Tram to Leichahdt was a pretty good trip from Chinatown. A bit late here on the Brookvale oval topic but maybe it was unavailable? I don't think the Tahs will have first preference, also pretty sure they are renovating the venue