• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2022

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Sure in an ideal world you'd go for local talent where available, but I don't think this is the end of the world, and I reckon if the local talent had been knocking the door down, they'd have been picked.
This is the problem. Development pathways = fucked.

Soon the only rugby players this country will be developing will come out of Queensland.

Alex Ross (28)
Just no, you give another kid an opportunity or sign a dominant, experienced starter - he ain't either anymore
They have a squad full of kids with promising talent. They don’t need more. And it’s not like they can afford a star in their prime.

I think an older guy who brings acres of experience, who’s likely just enjoying a sea change or perhaps keeping his missus happy so they can spend some time with the in-laws and the new baby (read, cheap), and who is not going to be around long taking up space in front of the young guys you are developing is the perfect injury cover.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
They have a squad full of kids with promising talent. They don’t need more. And it’s not like they can afford a star in their prime.

I think an older guy who brings acres of experience, who’s likely just enjoying a sea change or perhaps keeping his missus happy so they can spend some time with the in-laws and the new baby (read, cheap), and who is not going to be around long taking up space in front of the young guys you are developing is the perfect injury cover.

He has to still have to earn his spot on current form, and he hasn't looked like a Lions centre for a long, long time

So what are you buying?

I just don't see the value in a team elderly mentor

Alex Ross (28)
He has to still have to earn his spot on current form, and he hasn't looked like a Lions centre for a long, long time

So what are you buying?

I just don't see the value in a team elderly mentor
Why are you questioning the value based on him not being in the best form of his career? Are you assuming the Tahs are paying him like he is?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
He might find it pretty tough going on our harder, faster, grounds. I think he will be shown up for pace, or lack of it.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Think everyone should be realistic , he is an injury cover replacement isn't he, so I would guess getting paid accordingly, and could well be good value in a young team. Never underestimate how valuable an experienced player is to young players.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
If he was on the field. A 35 year old Jamie Roberts should not be good enough to play for the Waratahs. If it’s off field guidance needed, then that’s what coaches are for.
I think these days 35yo isn't the end for many professionals. We can look at the Force who got great value with Kahui, 37yo this year; Thrushyo 37 this year, Sitaleki Timani 36yo this year and Rob Kearney who was 35 last year. In the case of Jamie Roberts, if fit he could be a really useful addition to a very young (and lightweight) backline. A very large frame... (110kg, 193cm) with nearly 100 test caps, IMO exactly what is needed. Look at the improvement with the Wallabies when they put the big body of Kerevi back into the midfield. Defences are stretched, advantage line success improves, games get won...
Unfit/injured he could of course be a dud, but fit and used wisely, could be a masterstroke.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Roberts seems like a great signing for the Tahs. Right now the squad is full of high school superstars who aren't used to playing against players as big and as fast as them. Roberts will mark his opposite number, not get bamboozled by a sidestep and take the ball to ground if an offload isn't guaranteed. If would be better if he were five or ten years younger, but the Tahs need some level-headedness, particularly in the backs.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Jamie Robert’s looks almost locked in. Article back up with Coleman’s comments:

“Losing two of our centres in Joey Walton and Mosese Tuipulotu was a big blow as we view them as the future of the side. So, to be able to bring in a player with the experience and talent that Jamie has on an injury coverage contract would be huge for us,” Coleman said.

“Jamie has been playing at a consistently high level with Dragons in Wales this season and would add a really big body for go-forward, and is very sound defensively. He would add vital depth in our midfield and complement the mix of players we currently have.

“Off the field he could also add a lot to the group and our team culture with his professionalism and experience.”

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
It is not like they chased the bloke. He fell into their lap. Surely, having someone with 100 odd test caps it worthwhile having around a young squad.
People seem to think there is an abundance of experienced proven talent ready to sign for the tahs. There isn’t and hence signing Roberts is good short term option to bring some much needed experience. He might not be a super star but also doubtful he would be a flop and/ or not bring valued experience. Surely the force with some of the key aged warriors at prop, second row, centre and full back proven that.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Roberts seems like a great signing for the Tahs. Right now the squad is full of high school superstars who aren't used to playing against players as big and as fast as them. Roberts will mark his opposite number, not get bamboozled by a sidestep and take the ball to ground if an offload isn't guaranteed. If would be better if he were five or ten years younger, but the Tahs need some level-headedness, particularly in the backs.
Fact is tahs only getting him because not 5 to 10 years younger. Agree good and sensible recruiting strategy to bring him into tahs fold.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
I think the majority think it is a good option to sign Roberts..... we’ll just have to wait and see... I think the Waratahs will go better than most people reckon... Coleman will need at least 2 years but he will definitely be better than Gibson and Penny .... they were pretty ordinary.....