• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
I get concerned with Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)'s decision making at 15, he tries to make things happen too often, so runs too far, gets isolated and throws the hero pass one handed in contact to someone who drops it

Donaldson would be my choice at 15, Edmed at 10
I have to agree. Especially after he reverted to throwing a few silly passes last weekend. He had pretty much picked the right time to post the pass all season except on the weekend.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I have to agree. Especially after he reverted to throwing a few silly passes last weekend. He had pretty much picked the right time to post the pass all season except on the weekend.
Agreed, he has been fantastic, but as a winger, not as a 15

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
They would have blood him in some pool matches … they alway take a really young player with them
Never an 18 year old. Eales was probably the youngest, 2 years out of school in 91 and that was when queenslanders left at 17. Horan and Little would have been 21 that year.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Never an 18 year old. Eales was probably the youngest, 2 years out of school in 91 and that was when queenslanders left at 17. Horan and Little would have been 21 that year.
I think Petaia might have been the youngest at around 19 and a half when he debuted against Uruguay at the 2019 world cup.

Though it is worth noting that he had 2 super seasons at that point and had toured with the wallabies on the previous eoyt, only missing his debut as a late withdrawal for the Italy game because of a hamstring complaint.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Michael Hooper wins NSW Waratahs Player of the Year Award.

Is that a surprise? Was he their best player? Maybe there just wasn’t the consistency elsewhere who played enough games. I didn’t think it was his best season by any means.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Hmmm not impressed by that but it’s hard to think of a really consistent performer. Holloway maybe but I saw he got another award.

Pietsch with a full year maybe but and argument could be made for Jorgenson even. Made the team better whenever on the field.

Tahs will only be good when Bell is racking these up.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Michael Hooper wins NSW Waratahs Player of the Year Award.

Is that a surprise? Was he their best player? Maybe there just wasn’t the consistency elsewhere who played enough games. I didn’t think it was his best season by any means.
No, Hooper shouldn't of gotten it there weren't many obvious candidates but Gleeson, Holloway, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase), Gordon or Jorgensen could have been more deserving

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
So many guys with half a season on the field this year it’s a bit of a dud.

Just thought about Sinclair and the effort he puts in every game. Would have rathered he get some shine.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
No, Hooper shouldn't of gotten it there weren't many obvious candidates but Gleeson, Holloway, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase), Gordon or Jorgensen could have been more deserving
How can you make that claim? It's voted on by the players in his team. It's not like it's some rubbish fans choice Joe Launchbury award

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Gordon was awful this year tbh.

It does feel a bit token-y, maybe they thought there were no standouts so just gave it to him.

I feel like Holloway deserved it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Gordon was awful this year tbh.

It does feel a bit token-y, maybe they thought there were no standouts so just gave it to him.

I feel like Holloway deserved it.
Gordon scored a shit load of opportunist tries against the run of play that kept up in games

When we had go forward ball he was fine

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would have voted for Nawaqanitawase personally.

It's player voted after each match like the John Eales Medal isn't it?

Hard for someone like Gleeson to win who missed a fair chunk of the season.

Openside flankers definitely have an unfair advantage in these sort of awards because they're high workrate players who regularly catch the eye of their teammates. It's an easier position to shine than some others.

Hooper also obviously leads by example. It was nowhere near his best season but I'm also not surprised he won.

For consistent strong performances and also played the bulk of the games, Taleni Seu would have been a worthy winner in my view.