• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Cron rates Pasitoa very highly:

"Head coach Simon Cron attests Pasitoa's size and natural talent as markers for a dynamic 'beastly' fly-half.

"He's a beast for a fly-half; there aren't many 100kg fly-halves going around. He's got real talent, so we have to nurture that for him to be successful here at the Force," Cron said.

"We are excited to coach him and get him back out on the field."

"From a distance looking at Perth and the Force, one of the guys that excited you in the playing group is Reesjan; unfortunately, when playing in clubland, he suffered an ACL injury. During his rehab, he has been a sponge listening to coaches and developing his rugby brain off the field."

Read More
Fair. But what do expect from the coach?

It's just a thought since Burey has looked adept at Super Rugby so far and has a previous relationship with Cron and would be cheap. Pasitoa is a touted young 10 and I can't imagine Donaldson would be considered a bargain buy if he's sitting behind Pasitoa. He could play 15 but he's average at it and not a Centre.

Tazzmania

Charlie Fox (21)
Burey has been in and around the squad since last year and was taken on last year development tour and was unable to secure a contract even with Pasitoa injured at the time. Pasitoa with limited game time last year was being ear marked as a possible Wallaby smokey, and will be our our future flyhalf as evidenced by the new two year contract.

Tiatia is our full back, so either way if Donaldson does make his way here it will likley be as a cover / bench / utility player.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Jorgensen gone for rest of super season.

Artcile in SMH also mentioning Faulkner and Latu heading off next year
That sucks but long term I'd rather put him in the garage right now if he's banged up. He'd also hurt his shoulder earlier in the year and they kept strapping it. He's had a fantastic first year at 18 years old.

Who goes into 15? I'm comfortable with Wilson. I think he's looked pretty good in his limited chances. Dowling has been playing good footy for Randwick but hasn't been around the Tahs since earlier in the season. I don't see them moving Donaldson back there. He's finally been playing steady games at 10.

Alex Ross (28)
That sucks but long term I'd rather put him in the garage right now if he's banged up. He'd also hurt his shoulder earlier in the year and they kept strapping it. He's had a fantastic first year at 18 years old.

Who goes into 15? I'm comfortable with Wilson. I think he's looked pretty good in his limited chances. Dowling has been playing good footy for Randwick but hasn't been around the Tahs since earlier in the season. I don't see them moving Donaldson back there. He's finally been playing steady games at 10.
Im a big Donaldson supporter but Edmed gave the backs much better shape in his 20 mins. I think Donaldson to 15 is where they will go for MP (Moana Pasifika).

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I just think at 15 he brings the attack down. Can be a ball player but not a real running threat like Max. The back 3 look the best in counter attack when its ball in hand IMO.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just think at 15 he brings the attack down. Can be a ball player but not a real running threat like Max. The back 3 look the best in counter attack when its ball in hand IMO.

I think it's a case of getting our best XV on the park for the quarter final and wondering what that is.

To me Donaldson at 15 and Edmed at 10 looks better than Donaldson at 10, Wilson at 15 and Edmed at 22.

Assuming everyone is back I'd also be pretty tempted by 12. Foketi 13. Walton 14. Perese 15. Nawaqanitawase.

Joey Walton is probably our best player outside the starting backline right now.

Donaldson had a shocker against the Crusaders and Edmed looked pretty sharp but I can't see us changing tack on that now unless we're moving Donaldson to 15. It won't be 10. Edmed 22. Donaldson.

Alex Ross (28)
I don’t necessarily like Donaldson at 15. I agree with BH in putting Marky there (and also having Walton in and Perese on the wing). But I don’t see it happening.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I know it won't happen, but I would start Edmed at 10 with Donaldson on the bench. Donaldson has had two handy games this year, and even those weren't overwhelming. His kicking on Saturday just seemed completely aimless, I fail to see how someone with the feel for a game required of a Super level 10 (the reason I never played 10) could kick with so little sense of what was going on around him.
I am also in the Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) for 15 camp. The guy is great under the high ball, has a big boot and having the freedom to come into the attack anywhere could be really dangerous. He just needs to be told to can the speculative offloads.
I also want to see Walton retained in the centres. He may not be as strong as Perese, but he has a real football brain. Perese takes a lot of bad options, particularly in defence, you don't see that from Walton.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I called for Marky at 15 after the tour last year.
electric with ball in hand and with more space (not just pinned up against the sideline) and able to carve up defenders. excellent under the high ball, frankly he reminds me very much of folau. he has great game sense, i think that's needed at fullback.
edmed to 10. donaldson in a tough spot with competition at the tahs and reasonably established 10s at the other provinces.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I called for Marky at 15 after the tour last year.
electric with ball in hand and with more space (not just pinned up against the sideline) and able to carve up defenders. excellent under the high ball, frankly he reminds me very much of folau. he has great game sense, i think that's needed at fullback.
edmed to 10. donaldson in a tough spot with competition at the tahs and reasonably established 10s at the other provinces.
I get concerned with Mark N (Nawaqanitawase)'s decision making at 15, he tries to make things happen too often, so runs too far, gets isolated and throws the hero pass one handed in contact to someone who drops it

Donaldson would be my choice at 15, Edmed at 10

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
I get concerned with Mark N (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase)'s decision making at 15, he tries to make things happen too often, so runs too far, gets isolated and throws the hero pass one handed in contact to someone who drops it

Donaldson would be my choice at 15, Edmed at 10
I agree, I think Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) and Tom Wright have a lot of similarities you mention plus the D is the biggest one. I do believe Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) can improve in that area but not in the finals thanks.