• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
B50E3BBD-5D57-446E-8424-C14370997F84.jpeg

249DD0C4-A830-416C-BA03-565C4FA9DF36.jpeg
4020ECD8-AAEF-4A8E-AEA8-7F31DBFA7469.jpeg

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Outstanding effort by Hanigan in the third Oz A game. But, he's not quite big enough to be a first rate second rower. Top lineout technician though.

Nice efforts by both Tahs wingers, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase)'s finally getting his defence sorted out while Pietsch's timing and interplay with others is delightful to watch.

If Foketi continues to improve and Bell, HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Swinton and Perese return fit and healthy we're looking good for next year.

Last edited:

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
I'm wondering about Swinton. I don't hear any news, but is it possible his injury is career-threatening. Either way, with Hooper, Gamble, Harris, Sinclair, Warren-Vosayaco and Gleeson we're pretty well set up for back-rowers (not to mention Hanigan and Holloway, each of whom can play in the back row).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's a good of a squad since 2014. Might even be more talented, 2014 just had bigger, older, experienced guys in the tight 5.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I'm wondering about Swinton. I don't hear any news, but is it possible his injury is career-threatening. Either way, with Hooper, Gamble, Harris, Sinclair, Warren-Vosayaco and Gleeson we're pretty well set up for back-rowers (not to mention Hanigan and Holloway, each of whom can play in the back row).
Nerve damage is career threatening.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm wondering about Swinton. I don't hear any news, but is it possible his injury is career-threatening.

I believe he opted for surgery in the last couple of months after the injury didn't heal on its own. Hopefully he's now on the mend and can return next year.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Bold statement here, I think the Tahs will be the best Aussie team next year.
Don't think it's that bold, you've recruited amazingly well.

I think Beale will be surprisingly good. Backs do not goto Europe and look good. We never pick backs from Europe, always Japan. Except for Beale, he's managed to stand out, I reckon he'll go great.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah hardly bold, will probably be shortest or equal with Brumbies with the bookies.

Were already #2 last year and should get better. Brumbies lost their coach, Simone, Sio, Fainga'a and Banks.

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Brumbies consistency of squad will probably have them start of season favourites for me but by the end of the season it could swing.

This can be turned on it’s head by injury I know…

Getting guys back like HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) through the season will be a huge boost after a few rounds and some banged up bodies.

Wouldn’t write off the the Reds. While I’m not sure it’s the happiest of camps they have a ton of talent and pick ups like Luke Jones are pretty smart.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
What are peoples thoughts on Angus Crichton? We know he is a free agent and I have it on good authority that a stint in rugby union is definitely on his bucket list.....not necessarily in Australia, but the Tahs, or any other franchise, would be mad not to have a crack wouldn’t they? For context he was the same Aus schools crop as Kellaway, Foketi, Dempsey, etc....getting on but not exactly past it.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think the Tahs will be very competitive, but the real key will be injuries. The ability to absorb some injuries to key players and stay competitive is crucial.
On paper, the broader squad looks good. If Coleman has the trajectory moving on from last year it could be fun.
The Brumbies, of course, will be very solid. The Reds might get a better yield from their talent too so the Aus conference should be interesting.
Not writing off Force and Rebels but I must admit I am not across their squads as well.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What are peoples thoughts on Angus Crichton? We know he is a free agent and I have it on good authority that a stint in rugby union is definitely on his bucket list.....not necessarily in Australia, but the Tahs, or any other franchise, would be mad not to have a crack wouldn’t they? For context he was the same Aus schools crop as Kellaway, Foketi, Dempsey, etc....getting on but not exactly past it.
He's at the Roosters end of 2024 - he's leaving it kind of late.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
He's at the Roosters end of 2024 - he's leaving it kind of late.
He is, the contract extension sounds pretty loose to me though. Even if he runs that out he will still only be 28 at the end of it. I’ll emphasise that from the conversation I had his motivation is not necessarily to play for the Wallabies, it’s to play pro rugby. It’s not like he’s a Willie Mason trying to be converted, he has a solid rugby background, given a bit of time he’d adapt pretty quickly in either the back row or the centres. If I was a Waratahs scout I’d at least be talking to him, and I’m not suggesting they haven’t. Money talks obviously.

Alex Ross (28)
He is, the contract extension sounds pretty loose to me though. Even if he runs that out he will still only be 28 at the end of it. I’ll emphasise that from the conversation I had his motivation is not necessarily to play for the Wallabies, it’s to play pro rugby. It’s not like he’s a Willie Mason trying to be converted, he has a solid rugby background, given a bit of time he’d adapt pretty quickly in either the back row or the centres. If I was a Waratahs scout I’d at least be talking to him, and I’m not suggesting they haven’t. Money talks obviously.
I don’t think back row is where we should be looking to spend much money

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I think he’d be fantastic. Not sure if he has a spot to take at the Tahs considering how much he would cost but for Aus Rugby I’d love to see him playing somewhere and be eligible for Aus