• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I don’t think back row is where we should be looking to spend much money
I think he’d be fantastic. Not sure if he has a spot to take at the Tahs considering how much he would cost but for Aus Rugby I’d love to see him playing somewhere and be eligible for Aus
FP, I couldnt work out how to copy your post above in as its on a different page - but....

I realise this is the Waratahs thread, and as much as I hate to say it, he’d probably be a perfect fit for the Brumbies post Samu. And he’s from Young so he is a geographical fit too.

That, or maybe he’d be better suited in the centres.

Last edited:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
FP, I couldnt work out how to copy your post above in as its on a different page - but....

I realise this is the Waratahs thread, and as much as I hate to say it, he’d probably be a perfect fit for the Brumbies post Samu. And he’s from Young so he is a geographical fit too.

That, or maybe he’d be better suited in the centres.
I don't see much benefit in signing him as a 7 (we always have plenty and are bemoaning "x" heading off elsewhere) , he is too small for 6 or 8 - we need big athletic units, so 12 meh?

I just don't see his skill set providing enough value

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Like I said, perfect replacement for Samu at the Brumbies. What you wrote there pretty much sums Pete up.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
You’d have to play him at 12. What’s become normal for him in league suits that position. Wouldn’t chase him though

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't see the upside in him coming to rugby.

It would seem like another Sam Burgess situation to me. He's got a better background in rugby but it's also not for a long time and he's less elite as a league player than Burgess was.

As Drew said you'd need to play him at 12 because he wouldn't be able to upskill to the requirements of a backrower fast enough.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

It would seem like another Sam Burgess situation to me. He's got a better background in rugby but it's also not for a long time and he's less elite as a league player than Burgess was.
Tbf whilst he's not as physical as Burgess he's a much better line runner and can offload/set-up teammates much better. Way more suited to centre than Burgess was (who should've stayed at 6).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

As Drew said you'd need to play him at 12 because he wouldn't be able to upskill to the requirements of a backrower fast enough.
I would look at it as there isn’t much downside in it. He is going to play rugby, it’s just a matter of whether it’s in Australia or not. Head tells me if it’s not in Aus it will be wherever Jack Maddocks is at the time.

Re the comparisons with Burgess, I get your point but agree with qwerty above. The other thing is he is super intelligent and his goal would be to master the skills.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
That’s a pretty lame comeback. I’m pretty sure he’d be fine in a line out.

It’s one of Samu’s strengths…

Not sure if the Brumbies will be after another small backrower who isn’t proficient in that area of the game... among other key roles of a rugby backrower that league doesn’t possess.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1666143624044.png

Hopefully this is also a sign that Will Harrison's rehab is progressing well!

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
It’s one of Samu’s strengths…

Not sure if the Brumbies will be after another small backrower who isn’t proficient in that area of the game... among other key roles of a rugby backrower that league doesn’t possess.
oh yeah for sure, I’m not criticizing Pete, I just think Crichton would be fine at it, along with those other roles.

He isn’t small for a provincial back rower, he’s 6’3 and around 110kg.

That said, I’d agree with others here that at that stage of his career center will probably be his thing. If he is to play back row he needs to switch now.

Last edited:

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
View attachment 14892

Hopefully this is also a sign that Will Harrison's rehab is progressing well!
And Swinton's!

Given recent events in netball and cricket, I can't see any reason for players to challenge the ethics of the new sponsor, which you'd have to rate as a positive. Maybe they'll be handing out some free product - can't wait to get my hands on that economic research!