• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

GTPIH

Ted Thorn (20)
I don't see the upside in him coming to rugby.

It would seem like another Sam Burgess situation to me. He's got a better background in rugby but it's also not for a long time and he's less elite as a league player than Burgess was.

As Drew said you'd need to play him at 12 because he wouldn't be able to upskill to the requirements of a backrower fast enough.
Crichton has re-signed with the Roosters until the end of 2024

Marce

John Thornett (49)
So, 5 more years of ISC as appareal partner. I'd prefer Canterbury but here we are. They should step up the level of designs, the 2007/2008 design was pretty nice. The last 2 (2021 and 2022) were ugly

The 2007/2008 kit was one of the best I can remember. Some years after, Canterbury copied that design:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Ben Houston from Randwick has joined the West Tigers, apparently was asked to join Waratahs training also

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Ben Houston from Randwick has joined the West Tigers, apparently was asked to join Waratahs training also
Has he played much League in the forwards?

The Rugby boys don't always do the best in the forwards when moving over. The leg speed and collisions are totally different.

His defensive work in the Shute Shield last year though was huge and something I'm sure they liked.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
At first, I thought something of that but really it makes perfect sense. He's going to be a 10 or 15 for them. Probably says more about Donaldson being first choice 10 being named in the Halves group and not a Utility also.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
No Rahboni Warren-Vosayaco in named Waratah squad? Or am I blind?

Not blind, absolutely no mention of him in that article. Not too surprising if they've chosen to shed a backrow from the squad given the numbers, I guess he was the one off contract.

I have that as 16 departures now for the tahs squad from last season. Mostly outside the regular 23 but that's a lot of turnover year on year. May take them a bit of time to build into the season again.

Jimmyjam

Darby Loudon (17)
Very strong back-row depth at the Tahs... who else would we let go? Hooper, Gamble, Gleeson, Swinton, Harris, Hanigan all quality.

Looks a very strong squad pretty strong everywhere except still incredibly thin in the lock department.

Unfortunately also big list of L/T injured that we've just added Foketi to.

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Bell, Perese, Swinton, Harrison, Foketi all likely to miss the start of Super Rugby. Both 1st choice centres and props likely out.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Very strong back-row depth at the Tahs... who else would we let go? Hooper, Gamble, Gleeson, Swinton, Harris, Hanigan all quality.

Looks a very strong squad pretty strong everywhere except still incredibly thin in the lock department.

Unfortunately also big list of L/T injured that we've just added Foketi to.

HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes), Bell, Perese, Swinton, Harrison, Foketi all likely to miss the start of Super Rugby. Both 1st choice centres and props likely out.
Of the backrow you might see Hooper head overseas after the RWC. Hanigan may also head that way. Swinton still a bit of an unknown with his injury. Maybe some others know more info?

Hanigan may find himself playing some time in the 2nd Row. Not ideal

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Of the backrow you might see Hooper head overseas after the RWC. Hanigan may also head that way. Swinton still a bit of an unknown with his injury. Maybe some others know more info?

Hanigan may find himself playing some time in the 2nd Row. Not ideal
Apparently Swinton will be fit for next season. I think it's a shame if RWV has left - not really sold on Harris. Hanigan won't be playing in the backrow I'd suggest.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Interesting Harrison has been listed as a utility back, I still think he is our best 10
Same. He'd probably have 10-20 odd Wallabies caps if he and Lolesio had been playing for the opposite teams and he didn't tear every ligament in his knee.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
New training clothes, so a new shirt is coming? I hope so, I don't like the current shirt

20221107-072546.jpg

20221107-072450.jpg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
RWV leaving is a shame, thought he's a genuine #12 option if Foketi wasn't back. But totally understandable from his perspective. Any idea where he's off to?

Marce

John Thornett (49)
RWV leaving is a shame, thought he's a genuine #12 option if Foketi wasn't back. But totally understandable from his perspective. Any idea where he's off to?
I never seen him playing at the centre. Maybe at Shute Shield level? He's a HUGE centre in that case.