• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Got to say I'm loving the direction the Tahs are heading in. This time last year I went into the foetal position whenever I looked at the team prior to game day.

Just reading through the QF team sheet, there are 21/23 NSW local products, with the only 2 non NSW being Charlie G, and Jamie Roberts. We could almost call Charlie a local considering how he ended up there.

The other non NSW players in the squad are Cridge, Faulkner, Tizzano, Tuipulotu and Tauakipulu. Nothing against recruiting to solve a problem that can't be filled locally, but it's great to see such a high percentage of local boys lacing up for the Tahs again.

Young guns like Edmed and Harris re committing, Beale back next year for a lap of honour, hopefully joined by Nadolo.

DC is walking the talk about making the Waratahs the place any NSW aspiring kid wants to be..
Yep DC has been a revelation…should have got the gig ages ago…Darren Coleman looks set for a long tenure at the Tahs but equally credit to the assistant coaches as they also playing a vital role in the tahs resurgence under DC.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Or the SFS will be full next season because the Waratahs are going to win the next 3 games!!!
Sometimes embarrassing to think we have only 1 rugby side in nsw / Sydney and can’t get a decent crowd so hopefully crowds will continue to grow and fill SFS. I mean how many nsw based nrl sides are there…can’t be bothered counting but lots…!

Marce

John Thornett (49)
Sometimes embarrassing to think we have only 1 rugby side in nsw / Sydney and can’t get a decent crowd so hopefully crowds will continue to grow and fill SFS. I mean how many nsw based nrl sides are there…can’t be bothered counting but lots…!
You are a sleepwalker lol

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Alex Newsome will join french club Clermont.

vm
Pity as newsome been useful and improved this season and would have been good to keep him for adding depth but he ain’t going to ever get wallaby top up and guess time for him to cash in. Thanks Alex for your service.

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
Oh, this is the player I'll miss least. Alex Newsome isn't fast enough, abrasive enough, elusive enough or canny enough to be a great player. Even at his best he ain't that good. If we're losing a regular starter, I'm glad it's him.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Disagree PITD, Newsome has been very solid this year. No, he'll never be a Wallaby, but he is very much a Super rugby level player, I don't think he's had a poor game this year, and has very adequately covered injuries and absences everywhere from 13 out.
Good luck to him, but I think the Tahs will miss having a Mr Fix-it for those outside positions

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
We were absolutely dominated in contact in the inside backs and majority of the forward pack against the Chiefs - the mismatch in athleticism was telling and allowed them to recycle quick ball.

With the current squad I think a quarter final appearance is about where we deserve to finish based on talent and effort. Realistically we needed everything to go right and the chiefs to play poorly to win last night.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
To make way for Beale who I think is past his best.
That's the thing. An old Beale for a young Newsome is a loisy deal
emoji_thumbs-down_thumb.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Newsome arguably had his best Super Rugby season this year. He was consistently solid with a couple of really good games.

That said, I think this is a move that suits all parties. Newsome should try and cash in a bit as his value in Australia is not really going to increase.

He's a solid, experienced player but if you're working out your best XV and possibly best 23, it's hard to see how he fits in. Clearly he's been there all year because we've never had everyone available but that's not really how contracting works. It's hard to offer him what he essentially needs to be paid at this stage of his career if your planning suggests he might not be in your best 23.

That's the thing. An old Beale for a young Newsome is a loisy deal
Beale is going to be here for one season. I don't think that really impacts the situation. Even without Beale, if everyone is healthy I don't think Newsome fits into the starting XV.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Newsome arguably had his best Super Rugby season this year. He was consistently solid with a couple of really good games.

That said, I think this is a move that suits all parties. Newsome should try and cash in a bit as his value in Australia is not really going to increase.

He's a solid, experienced player but if you're working out your best XV and possibly best 23, it's hard to see how he fits in. Clearly he's been there all year because we've never had everyone available but that's not really how contracting works. It's hard to offer him what he essentially needs to be paid at this stage of his career if your planning suggests he might not be in your best 23.

Beale is going to be here for one season. I don't think that really impacts the situation. Even without Beale, if everyone is healthy I don't think Newsome fits into the starting XV.
Yes, Newsome is the type of player every Super Rugby team needs, a solid, experienced player who can slot in at multiple positions as required, and deliver a consistent level of performance. His flexibility over the last couple of seasons has meant other players could establish themselves in a single position, which benefits them too. He'll be missed probably late next season if the Tahs are struggling with injuries. But this is the issue for AU Super Rugby teams - we're not going to be able to pay these guys what France or Japan can pay. And hell, I'd rather a couple of years playing in France myself.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
The drain of players like Newsome is the reason why Aussie teams are consistenly beaten by Kiwis sides. Short squads so if you lose players like Liam Gill you can't cover propertly the absences.

I remember the 2019 Semifinal between Jaguares and Brumbies. The Ponies lost Pocock for the clash and they couldn't replace him properly. The lack of quality subtitutes and good impact players at Super Rugby level is one of the areas where NZ overtakes Straya. And the departures of players like Newsome is the key. He's not a superstar but you need proper backups and I have no doubt that he is