• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Waratahs 2023

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The drain of players like Newsome is the reason why Aussie teams are consistenly beaten by Kiwis sides. Short squads so if you lose players like Liam Gill you can't cover propertly the absences.

I remember the 2019 Semifinal between Jaguares and Brumbies. The Ponies lost Pocock for the clash and they couldn't replace him properly. The lack of quality subtitutes and good impact players at Super Rugby level is one of the areas where NZ overtakes Straya. And the departures of players like Newsome is the key. He's not a superstar but you need proper backups and I have no doubt that he is

I agree with you completely.

The reality is that we can't pay this player nearly enough to keep them here versus what they can get overseas.

NZ have hundreds of Alex Newsomes so they will always have this level of player available to fill holes in their sides.

Alex Ross (28)
Oh, this is the player I'll miss least. Alex Newsome isn't fast enough, abrasive enough, elusive enough or canny enough to be a great player. Even at his best he ain't that good. If we're losing a regular starter, I'm glad it's him.
If only we could afford a squad full of guys like that!

Newsome is a big loss. He’s a very handy fill in. Much like Sinclair in the forwards. Underrated but essential to any team

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
from the hurled
Meanwhile, a homecoming for Latu is on the cards, with his old club the Waratahs set to throw the 21-Test hooker a lifeline, subject to board approval.

Latu parted ways with French club Stade Francais last month after a poor season marred by on-field disciplinary issues and off-field drama......................................

Latu is now looking at a return to the Waratahs, a move that received the cautious endorsement of the chief executives of both NSW and Rugby Australia. Waratahs coach Darren Coleman worked with Latu at NSW Country Eagles in the National Rugby Championship and is prepared to give him a second chance..............

NSW boss Paul Doorn said the Waratahs were “a long way away yet” from taking it to the board, but said players deserved second chances. The Waratahs have been doling them out in recent years, with Karmichael Hunt and Izaia Perese both repaying the faith showed in them with big contributions.

“We have some really good examples where players have come to the Waratahs under some sort of challenging circumstances, and to date you have to trust the coach about what they’re trying to achieve, alongside our ability to be able to manage players,” Doorn said.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
In scheme of things latu to me worth giving an opportunity for an appropriate priced contract. Say what you like he still has some talent and I personally think in a competitive market rugby can’t be too prescious to take on some project players like the hunts, Perese’s etc as look how they turned out.

Contract can be written so if stuffs up he is out. If league turned away players like latu they would probably lose a 1/3rd of league players.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
In scheme of things latu to me worth giving an opportunity for an appropriate priced contract. Say what you like he still has some talent and I personally think in a competitive market rugby can’t be too prescious to take on some project players like the hunts, Perese’s etc as look how they turned out.

Contract can be written so if stuffs up he is out. If league turned away players like latu they would probably lose a 1/3rd of league players.
Yeah, all it says at the moment is that they are talking, I think the contract would need to be quite focused on off field expectations as much as on field

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
I wonder how much Latu would be offered in this contract. I expect his salary expectations would have fallen precipitously in the past few months.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
I’d still rather keep who we have at hooker. Poreki has been solid all year. Horton has obviously been working on his line outs as he was pretty effective last week, which was holding him back before. Vailanu is developing well too. Why would we get rid of any of these guys for Latu?